Year End Grade: Joe Douglas - GM

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your Year End Grade for Joe Douglas

1. A+ to A-

12.4%
  2. B+ to B-

53.7%
  3. C+ to C-

20.7%
  4. D or below

13.2%
  1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Maybe if he was terminally ill like Hess was. Other than that, I don't see it ever happening.

Cman68 likes this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Some of the draft picks we have on offense and defense are the best players we’ve had in a while. No guarantee he hits like that again, though, and I’m also not sure that there are a ton of GM’s that get a second shot at a round 1 QB. I feel like he’s failed to make good on his year 1 promise to rebuild the OL, but not for a lack of trying.

I expect and believe he should get another season. 3 things I want to see:

1. Fire MLF and Calibrese. Those experiments are over.

2. Find a way to offload Zach Wilson. Lots of reasons. Just get it done.

3. Sign a QB that will make the offense competitive. There should be some options. He needs to land one.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We go pick 101 back from Tennessee.

In 2022 we gave up:
    35, 38, 69, 146, 163
    for
    26, 36, 101.
    (JJ, Hall, Ruckert)

Without the JJ trade we could have gotten Hall at 35, and Boye Mafe, 38, a DE whose having as good a year as JJ. Also, it looks like Karlaftis was the better pick at 26.

Losing pick 69 was big as well. There was a glut of good players that went from picks 69 through 85 - including several quality LBs like Chad Muma and Nokobe Dean. A few quality o-linemen, including Abe Lucus who has started the whole season in Seattle, and Bernard Raimann who started the entire season in Indy. And Desmond Ritter, who we for sure didn't need because of Zach.

We also missed out on some prime second round players beyond a DE in rounds 2 and 3.

Like the draft before it, the 2022 draft was terrible team building. To many trade ups leaving too many holes unfilled, or too little depth, which we were lucky on at most positions beyond 0-line. On top of that the picks he took were picks an already rebuilt team would invest in - not a rebuilding team.

Sauce was a luxury pick that does not pay off the way Thibs would have. Shutting down one WR doesn't have the return of forcing early throws, or sacks. Also, there were around 5 quality corners taken in this draft beyond the first round. Same cant be said for DEs. There was no pressing need for a rebuilding team to use pick 4 on a corner.

Garrett Wilson was also a luxury pick on a team that needed big bodies. Especially after we went corner with pick 4. There were prime linemen on both sides available from 10-20. And in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. The fact that we didn't go linemen until late was a mistake. Wilson is a great WR, but he' not a true #1. George Pickens, Christian Watson, probably even Metchie, will all have similar careers to Garrett. And they were dirt cheap.

JD doesn't really know how to draft for a rebuild.

#63 ouchy, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I disagree on Sauce and partly on GWilson. Sauce was the obvious pick at #4 with the issues the Jets have had in the secondary recently. Opposite the D.J. Reed signing he gave the Jets one of the best CB pairings in the NFL. He was also likely the BPA at #4 and given the Jets need at CB and the value he represented he was a very good pick. Garrett Wilson also fulfilled a need at outside WR and he also was either BPA or close to it.

The Jermaine Johnson trade up was really bad. The Breece Hall trade up was bad given that the Jets could have just taken him if they avoided the other trade up.

I totally agree with you that Douglas does not have good instincts on how to rebuild. The things that are missing right now are foundational items. Without them nothing else will work right.

The other thing of course is that before Q got hurt everything was much better on the defensive side. It was the injury to Q that took the Jets completely out of contention.

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

One of his first round busts has spoken:

Cman68, IDFjet, jilozzo and 1 other person like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

No the Sauce pick was terrible for anyone not already a playoff team. There is no way you can justify taking a top corner prospect over a top edge prospect. One has a much larger impact on the game, and is much harder to find. Sauce wasn't a smart 4th overall for a rebuilding team. Again, covering 1 WR doesn't have near the impact a top edge does. If we didn't need bug bodies Sauce would have been ideal. But that wasn't us.

Wilson was not the BPA, or a better pick for us than Jordan Davis, Kenyon Green, Trevor Penning, or Tyler Lindenbaum. I think you watched too much hype. Pickens, Watson, etc would have been just fine in the 2nd while securing a big body at 10.

#66 ouchy, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    JohnnyJet and HackettSuxTNG like this.
  7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

once again its a copy and paste draft in 2023 with heavy OL and LB/DE and WR.

only spot I do not see getting special attention is QB, corner, and TE.

Cowboys went OL line heavy a few years ago, lions a bit more recently and u see the results.

realize other forces are at work but the most fundamental foundational strategy is to field a top 10 OL as often as u can.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

My opinion at the time of the draft was that Hutchinson was the only edge who was more valuable than Sauce. When Hutchinson went #1 Sauce just looked like the best value. I'll always take BPA at a position of need over another player at a position of need.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'd rather have the QB where the ball doesn't come out of his hand all pretty because that means GMs like Douglas will underrate him. I can only imagine Douglas drafting Leaf over Manning for that reason.

JohnnyJet likes this.
  10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I personally wasn't crazy about the Jermaine pick but I was impressed with him this year--I thought he flashed several times and his attitude, which was a concern for me, looks fine.

I think we see him and Clemons on the ends more in 2023--I'm cautiously optimistic. We may as well dump #58.

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It seems minor, but JD blew a 6th round pick for James Robinson this year. Basically he's been had by Jags - the same way he's had some other GMs in the past. He is coming down to earth now as far as his ability to win every trade that helped the Jets so much in the past.

SOJAZ likes this.
  12. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

also JD outsmarted himself x2 in the 1st rnd.

instead of blue chips in Wirfs and Fields
    he went hi risk w/ ZW and Becton and both failed miserably

13. Losmeister

Brissett

14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Good to see you say WR--If that kid out of TCU is available when we pick he's my first-rounder.
    I like us trying to go Safety and Cover LB too. We never seem to be able to cover TE's. Seattle was genius and caught us with out pants down by using 3-TE formations.

15. Losmeister

btw, i like GW ...but has he made ANY contested catches this year?

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you consistently get separation like he does you don't really need to make contested catches. But he does have an issue with a shitty attitude when things don't go his way. Did you see him yesterday? By the 3rd quarter he was dogging it...and that's with the immortal Mike Fuckin White at QB, and not that shitty snot nosed Mormon. He needs a "time out" like they gave Moore to remind him that he's not the center of the universe, let alone the team.

SOJAZ, tomdeb, ouchy and 1 other person like this.
  17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

11 targets. 3 catches for 18 yards. Yuck.

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He absolutely nailed the last draft. It might've bought him time to right the wrong of taking Wilson at 2 in 2021. A good 2023 haul and bringing in a vet QB should help put previous failures behind him. I prefer no trade ups this time and the multiple times he did it last year is the one thing I'll nitpick him for what's looking like an excellent class.

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Douglas has had 3 drafts. He TOTALLY wasted 2 of our first round picks. That is a recipe for disaster. He could have gotten a bonanza for the Zach Wilson's draft slot. The 2022 draft IMO does NOT make up for blowing those 2 first round picks.

Br4d and NYJetsO12 like this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I give him a B.

The end of this year has left a sour taste is everyone's mouth, and rightfully so, but he has elevated the talent level on this roster quite a bit.

We're now a few pieces away from being a truly competitive team instead of literally needing everything like we were a few years back.

He's had his share of misses, that's for sure, but he's also hit a few home runs.