Year End Grade: Joe Douglas - GM

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your Year End Grade for Joe Douglas

1. A+ to A-

12.4%
  2. B+ to B-

53.7%
  3. C+ to C-

20.7%
  4. D or below

13.2%
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

JD did some really good things. Turning around Jamal into GW and AVT is an absolute masterclass. Last draft was really good. But he missed big in the most important areas. Not getting a QB is a monumental mistake, which cannot be underestimated. For 3 years in a row we had absolute worst QB play in the League. That's the most important position. I was OK with it when we were in essence tanking for Lawrence, but still, every year to have the worst QB in NFL is an awful look on a GM. To miss on FQB with #2 pick is terrible.

Then there is a matter of OLine. We had a decent OLine for half a year (last year) under JD. Missed on Becton, preferred Fant to Moses, missed big on Laken. Heck, even AVT has injury concerns now. Overall this is not nearly good enough.

Finally - the coaching. So far Saleh is a C at best. A lot of people wanted Daboll here on this board because of what he did to Allen. Daboll is about to become COY. While Saleh wasn't a complete miss, when the opportunity cost is Daboll, seeing what he just did, it doesn't look all that great.

Overall, it's a C for me. Great work raping other teams with Adams and Sam trades, having a good draft this year, but missed big on most important aspects. 2023 could be his last year as a GM unless we make play-offs.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Joe is the man. A.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You're pleased with the way he has handled the coaching staff for the last two years?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

I don't know. The roster is solid though. May have missed with Zach, so I can't say A+.

5. Ralebird

So, you don't care that he has shirked his duties regarding the coaching staff? Kind of like a carpenter who does pretty work but the house falls down?

NYJetsO12 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I really want to like JD, I really do. The reality is, though the team may be better "on paper", on the field is a whole different story. A lot of missed opportunities and evaluation mistakes, from Becton to Zach to the coaching staff. The on-field growth I was hoping to see this season just isn't there. The team is stuck in the mud.

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

The timing of this poll may reflect the grades.

James Hasty likes this.
  8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

He has had 3 drafts and in two of them he has totally wasted the jets first round pick. Becton was a reach but Zach Wilson was a huge blunder. I still don't understand why so much attention is paid to a QB's pro day where there is no defense on the field. (??)

SOJAZ, ukjetsfan and stinkyB like this.
  9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

There is no GM who bats 1.000

seriously…no one is right all the time…they ALL draft bad players…Ozzie Newsome, one of the best, couldn’t find a decent receiver for ages. No one is perfect. If you hold every GM to that standard after three years you’ll be swapping them every three years.

JD has brought a blueprint and a plan and has been rebuilding our team from the ground up. I think he’s done a pretty good job at that. He has won every trade. He has accumulated picks. He has spent premium picks on valuable positions.

sure our previous GMs have been absolute trash so it’s a low bar, but to anyone paying attention you can’t say this has been night and day improvement.

he’s not perfect, and he fucked up on Zach. I’m also critical of the OL as it should be better than it is after three years. Finally, the coaching…I wanted Daboll at the time because I wanted an offensive guy who showed he developed a QB and that was Daboll not Saleh. That being said, I think Saleh has gotten better and deserves next year with a decent QB to deliver playoffs.

But I’ll say this…at least with JD I believe he understands what needs to get fixed and will act on it, unlike the idiots we’ve had in the past like Mac and Idzik who couldn’t execute

10. The Dark Knight

It's a good point. He picked the Head Coach. I am not happy with the Head Coach. Some of that blame should go to Douglas. I get ya.

Ralebird likes this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

When you build the team from the ground up, you take on terrible seasons, which are hard for the fans to stomach. Why? Because the result should be a sustainable winner for years to come. Unfortunately, while we did endure 3 losing seasons in a row now under JD, including absolutely pathetic 2 and 4 win seasons, I am not sure we have a sustainable winner starting next year, because there is no QB. So, we went through all the pain - but I am not sure if the reward is around the corner, given the shit show at QB.

And I am starting to doubt coaching as well, particularly offensively. Kurt Warner was pointing this out for some time, but pro MILF argument was that other QBs did OK in the system and it was just Zach who was the problem. Now we are not able to move the ball against a bad defense with play-offs on the line without Zach also. And yes, seeing Daboll's success to immediately move a garbage team into play-offs makes me think JD made the wrong choice at the time when Daboll was available. Maybe he didn't have the balls to wait for a week or longer for him, thinking we would lose Saleh, but at the end of the day the results speak for themselves.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

JD is a smart man but his performance overall for me is (see below) And honestly he's trending downward to C plus with the disastrous choice of Zac Wilson and not solidifying our OL.
    He had a lot to reconstruct tbh and his last draft was excellent...choosing Saleh and not waiting for Daibol was another unfortunate blunder

EDIT :I slept on my choice and I am grading him a D ..for dogsh*T

Let be honest: I don't trust him AT ALL ..he lied about fixing OL and together with hiring a poor HC and a bust at QB those are all FIREABLE offenses

Again the Giants made the right decisions with Management (decision makers)

Wood>> sell the Team or get S Payton ONLY ANSWER imo

#32 NYJetsO12, Jan 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  13. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas gets a D. This Zach Wilson miss is a major major miss for him and would get most GMs fired. I know we had a lot do hole and he had to make the picks but Sauce fell to us and so did Garrett. Breece was the only real move he made. And all other pieces have been solid from this draft class.

beaides that, all his other drafts have been horrid. I think he’s gone by game 6 next year if it’s a slow start and Saleh gets more time if they want to turn it around after a slow start.

NYJetsO12 and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  14. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I give him a D. Everyone knew the offensive line needed to be completely overhauled and he didn't even come close to fixing it. Because the offensive line was shitty, it made it more difficult to evaluate Wilson. And I hold him at least partially responsible for decision to start Flacco instead of White at the start of the season which was absurdly stupid (because a goal this year needed to be a good evaluation of White as a starting-caliber player).

15. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i think jet fans standards and expectations are so low that any decent move gets overrated. Every team in the NFL has a few young guys, every team has the "2nd Rd Pick RB" or the Young WR - the problem is the jets never had these until now so Joe Douglas gets alot of praise. Also the media hypes him up - Joe has lots of previous work and collage connections with a lot of TV personalities that hype up their guy.

Long story short - Right now we are on pace to give 2nd contracts to Garret Wilson, Sauce, AVT and thats it...........not good

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

What happened to Berrios? Epic collapse. Also, the punter should have been replaced a long time ago. Awesome draft, some great UDFA pickups. Great trades! Some decent free agents. Wilson - Oy!

B+

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The Zach pick alone automatically knocks him down to a C.

James Hasty likes this.
  18. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Saleh doesn’t report to JD. He reports to Woody just like JD. Part of the problem with the jets.

James Hasty likes this.
  19. Ralebird

You are simply mistaken. That's how things used to be but they changed with the hiring of Douglas and Saleh.

SOJAZ, HomeoftheJets and Jets79 like this.
  20. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

You are correct, I didn’t realize they changed it. Well Douglas should make Saleh fire MLF then.

Ralebird likes this.