Year End Grade: Joe Douglas - GM

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your Year End Grade for Joe Douglas

1. A+ to A-

12.4%
  2. B+ to B-

53.7%
  3. C+ to C-

20.7%
  4. D or below

13.2%
  1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yeah Yeah Yeah

Lets see how many Teams we beat come next Fall...that will be the Bottom Line before the Bottom falls out on your hero JD and R Saleh!

You want a real GM ???..take a look at the Phil Eagle's Howie Roseman>>>more success than dumb mistakes at key hires /Franchise QB

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

It’s not the miss on Zach, it’s the confidence to borderline arrogance of the pick. It’s obvious to any layman how many flaws Zach has, and it was obvious to a lot of us prior to us drafting him. This kid is the clear cut definition of a project QB, and JD not only overdrafted him , but they just anointed the kid and handed him the keys without any type of plan B if the kid wasn’t ready (he wasn’t). Not only that, he arrogantly turned down what was reportedly a very lucrative offer for the #2 overall instead of trading down to stay put and draft Zach. I get that people felt drafting a QB was the right thing to do, but to do so and have Joe Flacco be our plan B if things go wrong is really borderline inexcusable. The arrogance of it makes me really question his ability to evaluate QB’s. If he didn’t have such an epic draft last year I don’t know that he’d still be here now because just about everything else he’s done has been downright awful.

NYJetsO12 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm not pivoting as much as I'm pointing out the main issue.

We don't have a QB. QB Is the one position you truly need to consistently win In this league. If he can't figure It out, he will be fired like many, many, many GM's before him. For the exact same reason.

I have already stated he had a great draft class last year. His first couple weren't all that good though either. He missed wildly at QB, that Is a heavy miss. Most GM's do not remain after missing at QB In the way he did, the only reason he Isn't out the door Is because he had a great foundational draft last year. He balanced the scale.

That doesn't make him the GOAT of all GM's either. Again, If he doesn't get the QB position figured out, his days are numbered as well. He Isn't perfect and has things to clean up, obvious things to clean up. QB & OL are obviously on top of that list.

I haven't pivoted at all, just stating the facts from my unbiased perspective.

Again.

He will not be the exception to the rule, he has to figure out the QB position for the long haul or he wont be here. It's that simple.

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

The arrow is pointing up though…

first draft sucked…not sure how much Gase and drafting for a different coach and system had to do with it but it is what it is.

the second draft was better but the Zach miss really hurts.

the third draft was killer good

we’ll see what happens in draft number 4 without multiple first round draft picks

but the arrow on the team is pointing up…that’s not the time to fire the best GM we’ve had since Tannenbaum

he’s earned next year in my mind

next year will be year three if the rebuild with Saleh and we should be a playoff team

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The 2022 draft was great and bought him another year, but the GMs we've had since Tannenbaum are Idzik and Maccagnan, so this is saying exceptionally little. (He also somehow has a worse record than both of them.)

ConcordeChops likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Look, unless you're gong to try and follow a "plan" of instant gratification, which usually leads to almost no gratification, you need to hire the right guy to be your GM and then give him time to construct a foundation which to build long term sustainability. Douglas was hamstrung his first year in two big ways:

1. He was hired after FA and the draft (which was still a better option than waiting until after the upcoming season and allowing Maccagnan even one more day in charge).
    2. He was given an idiot for a HC, and forced to work with him and try to supply players that fit his "scheme".

At least a full year and half was wasted because of the above.

Without getting bogged down into yet more unresolvable discussion about Zach Wilson or any other individual personnel decision, I'll say that on balance he's been improving since that first year and a half, and he also seems to have a sustainable blueprint which he's using. All that said, the team needs to start delivering winning seasons NOW, and crucial to that is his fixing the QB and OL situations, at least for the short term. If he doesn't, he may well not get to see his long term blueprint implemented.

Jets79 likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

"All that said, the team needs to start delivering winning seasons "

Yes. True dat CC. So JD doesn't have Adam Gase too rely on anymore...Hes got his own man RS and now Hackett

I give this Douglas chosen staff a 40 per cent success rate ...and that's if Woody gets his Woody Dream of A Rogers