Year End Grade: Joe Douglas - GM

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your Year End Grade for Joe Douglas

1. A+ to A-

12.4%
  2. B+ to B-

53.7%
  3. C+ to C-

20.7%
  4. D or below

13.2%
  1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

A++++ Offensive rookie of the year and Defensive rookie of the year. Michael Clemons was a great pick and played major minutes with good QB pressure and physical at the point of attack. Jermaine Johnson got good pressure and a few sacks. He looks really promising. Best Jets draft in over a decade. Breece Hall was looking like a young Curtis Martin with better speed. Just a shame he got injured but I hope he can come back strong. Like others have stated I hope Douglas can get the OLine straight. We got AVT coming back and I hope Becton is ready. Herbig was decent don't remember him hurting the Jets a lot. I hope they bring him back. This draft should be one tackle and one guard. Draft a QB every year until you find one.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He gets a B+ from me. Being an offensive line guy and failing to effectively address the Oline hurts him. That draft, down the road, could single-handedly bump him up to an A, though. And DJ Reed was the steal of the 2022 FA period.

boozer32, Nyjets4eva and westiedog1 like this.
  3. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

I think JD has done a great job. Yeah he whiffed on the QB but everyone knows thats a crap shoot. The thing I like about Douglas he doesn't chase as in the case with Carr. He seems to get his way on trades as exhibited by the moves he made last year on draft day. All we need now is a QB who is not fuckup and we can make the playoffs. The problem that I see on this board is that many of the posters are relatively young and have that tik tok mentality of immediate results. Building a winning franchise takes time especially when it was in the shitter for so long. Look at what JD did for the Eagles and Baltimore?

boozer32, barfolomew, burf and 2 others like this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

And who is your candidate for QB1 for the Jets in 2023? What about 2025?

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

18-31 doesn't scream Executive of the Year. I didn't include the Gase year either. He doesn't chase Carr because he's all in on Rodgers. Building a winning franchise shouldn't take 50 years. JD's handiwork should start to pay dividends this year. It really NEEDS to.

I would speculate that time is not JD's friend and expectations are far higher than during his entire tenure. The Panthers, Lions, Jaguars have all passed the Jets on the rebuilding scale. Considering the head start the Jets had, this is not acceptable.

Woody may not be a football savant, but he's realizes the best way to sell tickets is to win football games. You can only sell the future for so long before it just becomes PR noise. In the words of the immortal Al Davis: "Just Win Baby!!".. Or else..

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ridiculous support for a guy on the verge of being Fired

Some posters here need Biff to knuckle them over the head like Marty McFly in Back To the Future>>

“ Hello anybody home …??? JD has a losing record as GM got a loser coach and bust at QB”

that’s “no whiff or crap shoot” that incompetence

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The one caveat I'd add to this is that JD's blueprint was to build a sustainable winning team, not just a "one and done", the future doesn't matter team. But of course winning today matters. You don't get to achieve your future goals if you don't succeed today. One way or the other Douglas has to find a reliable QB and fix the OL. Those are non-negotiable. If he doesn't do that, the heat is going to be blazing under his ass.

boozer32, KY Jets Fan, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I mean most objective critics would say the guy had a great off season minus the QB and OL issues.

The QB position heavily affects his grade because of its importance to the overall team. I'd say a B to a B+.

barfolomew likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What's more important than the QB and the OL?

The two ROY is cool and all but he did have the #4 and the #10 so exactly how unlikely is that given he took a defensive player #4 and an offensive player #10 overall and neither had anybody in front of them on the Jets?

10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It's highly unlikely as it marks only the third time in NFL history a team has won both awards. Douglas had a very spotty draft/FA history prior to last off season. Gotta give credit where it's due.

11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Joe Douglas has done a great job. Other than losing a lot of NFL games.

Ralebird, Br4d and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

it’s just cool? Travon Walker was a disaster pick. What if he took Walker and Evan Neal? Not only did he draft 2 rookies of the year, he also picked a guy who only lost it due to injury. And he drafted 2 promising pass rushers.

Just mind blowing people can’t admit that was an amazing draft

boozer32 likes this.
  13. DetroitRed

14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It was a great draft. Missing on your FQB kind of skews that though In my eyes. That's a huge setback at the most critical position. The OL needs to be finalized this offseason. No exception.

JD has done some really awesome things, he has missed hard In really big ways too. The record speaks for Itself.

This Is a make or break year for all of them.

JD doesn't deserve to be praised endlessly but he doesn't deserve crucified either. It's still up In the air on him. He's running out of time.

Cman68 likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

Too funny...losing a ton of games GETS US NOWHERE

Gimme honorable mention players and Fu*ckin winning record

16. NYJetsO12

MeanDean you are fair and generous to be sure

BUT...If we get some JAG QB and not Carr or Rogers where do you think this team is by game 4 of next Season ..1-3 ? 0-4? ..JD will bee gone with the phony Coach by mid season

Woody will look even more foolish for not cleaning house immediately signaling to Payton Harbaugh that we want a real Football guy to take charge ASAP not the current bunch of half qualified sycophants

#296 NYJetsO12, Feb 11, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  17. DetroitRed

There is not GM in the NFL who hasn’t “ missed hard”

boozer32 likes this.
  18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

What GM that hasn't hit on a FQB or figured out the QB position, has remained In that seat?

JD will not be the exception to the rule. He has to get It right, even If he does buy time with a VET QB, he HAS to solidify that position or he won't last.

NYJetsO12 and Ralebird like this.
  19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I downgraded my vote from an A to a B. He obviously killed the draft and I don’t blame him for the injuries that ravaged the OL; I actually commend him for staying on top of the OL as well has he did, wasn’t Brown visiting the Jets the day Bek got hurt?

The reason for the downgrade is because he never properly replaced Knapp who IMO was the most important person in developing the most important position.

IIMeanDeanII and burf like this.
  20. DetroitRed

You keep pivoting. Every GM in the nfl has misses. That’s part of the game. Most GMs have not produced the draft he just pulled off. And he completely turned over the roster. That’s his job

KY Jets Fan and NOVAJET like this.