Year End Grade: Joe Douglas - GM

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your Year End Grade for Joe Douglas

1. A+ to A-

12.4%
  2. B+ to B-

53.7%
  3. C+ to C-

20.7%
  4. D or below

13.2%
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he did have injury flags. when someone is that big, injuries are always a concern

barfolomew likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

no he didn't

"He carried that confidence with him to college, where he missed only one game in three years, a right ankle sprain knocking him out late in the 2019 season. He’d never dealt with an extended football absence due to injuries before last year."
    he missed 1 game in 3 years in college due to an ankle sprain. thats about as healthy as possible for a football player to draft

Ralebird, Jets79 and barfolomew like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

His size was his injury flag

theres a reason they get these guys down to their underwear in the combine. Its weird & creepy but they want to see how their body is structured. At 380+ with skinny legs, Becton shoulda been flagged. Other teams I am sure did flag him as a concern

--

I loved Becton myself in that draft and really wanted him. But injuries were my only concern as the number of guys his size that stay healthy for a long time is low.

#243 BrowningNagle, Jan 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    barfolomew likes this.
  4. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I'm glad we drafted him but just remember kris jenkins. Any guy that big is going to br prone to injuries

5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Except he was never hurt in college

6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Lamar Jackson only missed one game in college, yet clearly injury concerns were red flags when draftedgiven the style he plays. Becton was an injury concern when he’s 6’7” and had a proven college history of being overweight. It’s not a hard line to connect at all and it was correct. Maybe instead of constantly looking for ways to be smarmy and clever you actually join in a discussion. Take your own advice and try adding actual worthwhile content to your posts, or don’t post at all.

7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well…we can quibble about the draft ratings…first one not looking great, second one better, third one pretty great with potential offensive AND defensive rookies of the year…not sure if that’s ever happened.

also that first draft was for a different HC and a different system.

As for free agency, he’s made some great moves and some not so great moves…not sure why he went low rent OL his first year but he knew he was doing a tear down so maybe that’s why

His trades have been almost universally excellent…

but outside of those detailed views, if you just look at the roster it’s impossible to say we’re not better. Yes we have a huge hole at QB for sure, and the OL needs to be solved once and for all, but outside of that, we are a very solid team. Can we stand to improve LB and S? Sure. We also need either Moore or Mims to step up and actually deliver as WR2 or WR3…we need Davis to stay healthy but he’s a decent #2…so sure we could stand to improve still, but we are much better than we were three years ago.

JD came in and had to tear this down to the studs and rebuild it all from the ground up.

With that lens, I think we’re on the right track.

I would have preferred an offensive coach over a defensive one, but I think Saleh is getting better and I am willing to give him the chance to continue to grow….by year three we should know what he can be.

but after firing Gase and then starting over with Saleh and new schemes and such, next year is really year three of the rebuild and we should see some of the fruits then…the bar should be somewhere like at least 9-10 wins and a playoff spot should also be on the table….

this year was playing meaningful games in December. Next year should be playing in January

8. GasedAndConfused

if his size was an injury issue he would have missed more then 1 game in college. nobody flagged him as an injury concern because his size

bicketybam likes this.
  9. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

He definitely had injury concerns. Not because of his history but because of his size and weight. Durability was a major concern on his draft profile. Same as Lamar Jackson as I mentioned in another post. Jackson was only injured once and missed one game in college, but injury was a major concern of his as well. A guy who is 6’7” nearly 400 pounds is ALWAYS an injury concern.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

for sure.

Only a simpleton looks (and stops) at games missed in their analysis of a guy.

If it was that easy we could all be GMs, reading a box score is not hard. The Jets pay Joe Douglas and his team of scouts a lot of money to be better than that

11. bicketybam

Easy tiger.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  12. bicketybam

Do we generally call guys injury prone that have never missed a game? Is it the look in their eyes?

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

again if his size was an injury issue he wouldn't have missed only 1 game in 3 years in college. on top of that his size had 0 to do with the actual injury itself. o-lineman get injured that way all the time it's bad luck. MAYBE his size has effected the recovery, that's debatable. but you don't not draft a talented player because he may get rolled up on and then may take longer to heal. if that was the case nobody would get drafted

Ralebird, westiedog1 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wanted Andrew Thomas. Was hoping his "lower" ceiling profile would make him fall to us. But, it wasn't meant to be.

barfolomew likes this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Somebody who smokes but never gets sick is still at high risk for future health problems.

BrowningNagle and barfolomew like this.
  17. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

He plays at nearly 400lbs. Would you not have considered Lamar Jackson an injury risk even though he also only missed one game in college? It’s Becton’s size that makes him an injury concern. Anyone in the league that big is an injury concern. I agree his size didn’t cause him to get rolled up on, but a guy that size doesn’t last long in the NFL. His ceiling is higher I agree, but you can’t sit here and say his size and weight issues weren’t a concern to cause him to be injured in the NFL.

barfolomew likes this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

A huge guy with no injury history is more of a risk of injury to the guys across the line from him than he is to himself.

#258 Ralebird, Jan 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    barfolomew likes this.
  19. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

And yet here we are.

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Indeed. Which proves only that tomorrow is an unknown, just like every guy in the draft.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.