Yeah, Gary Sheffield is SUCH a "Jerk"

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by HackettSuxTNG, Aug 2, 2006.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/the_rings_the_thing_for_gary_yankees_brian_lewis.htm

August 2, 2006 -- Injured right fielder Gary Sheffield embraced the arrival of Bobby Abreu both literally and figuratively, first with a welcoming hug for his replacement then by publicly backing the move and saying he'd DH, move to first base, or do anything he could to earn a ring wearing pinstripes.
    "He said one thing: He wants to win a ring with NY on it. Whatever he needs to do, he'll do. He volunteered to play third base. He's volunteered to catch for me here; now [Don Mattingly] is going to work him out at first base," Joe Torre said of Sheffield, who is still just running and doing footwork drills, but can't hit or catch yet.

"He's already working drills with Donnie. Until he builds that left arm up as big as the right one he can't catch, but Donnie's doing footwork. He started as a shortstop, he's an athlete, he's got good hands, he has a good arm. First base I don't think will be a problem at all."

After undergoing surgery June 13 to repair a torn ligament and dislocating tendon in his left wrist, Sheffield understands that the Yankees have to protect themselves in his absence. He's also confident in his ability not only to return, but to earn a starting job - somewhere.

"A championship is on the way and that's what I'm looking forward to. I'm hurt; I can't help this club. They've got to do what they got to do to help this club. I'm all for it," Sheffield said. "If this helps I'm all for it.

"When I first got here, before Alex Rodriguez got here, I was willing to play third base. Thank God that didn't happen, but I feel the same way about this. I can do anything on the field: outfield, third base, first base. As long as I can get that ring I'm all for it."

Sheffield apparently has already ordered a first baseman's glove and is prepared to fight for a job. He was an odd mix of humility and hubris, something he called the "mystique of me," in Reggie-esque fashion.

"I love that people are in my face thinking this can't be done. I'll be laughing at the end: Watch me. You ask anybody on any team in the league would they want to be battling me over a position, they'll lose every time," said Sheffield, who'll see Dr. Charles Melone next Tuesday, and was bemused that many predicted he would erupt at Abreu's arrival.

"The first thing I did when I saw him was give him a hug. I wanted him to feel welcome. It's funny how people can think for you and tell you what you're going to do. Y'all think you know what I'm going to do, but you don't. Nobody knows. That's the mystique of me."

General manager Brian Cashman said, "He wants to try and get a ring here in New York, and he understands we're all doing this together. I've always had good conversations with Sheff; you guys had bad conversation with Sheff."

2. boogerstyles

boogerstyles New Member

I like gary sheffield. always have, always will. i don't understand why people expect athletes to be such "nice guys", ya know? i mean, its not like gary sheffield is eating babies- he's just quiet. he's also a little cocky, which i like.

my faveortie sheff moment, was when pedro martinez threw at him during the yanks/sox bean ball fest a couple of years ago. his head quickly shot towards pedro and pointed to his chest, and mouth the words, "not me. don't think you can do that shit to me." he looked like he was about to kill him... it was great.

but as for firstbase.... doubtful. unfortunalty, i think melky mite have to jump into a pinch/runner defensive replacement role is gary comes back and can swing the stick in his vintage form this year...

#2 boogerstyles, Aug 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2005
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Barry Bonds kisses his son goodnight and tells him he loves him too. How could he be a jerk?

4. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Bonds' son doens't take away Barry's spotlight or cut into his playing time.

5. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

Maybe Sheff just used the hug as a way to secretly rub some of "the cream" on Abreu. That man is heartless!

6. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Sheff originally came up as a 3rd baseman so he can play infield. It can only help the Yankees if he can play other positions since Giambi will have to get pinch run for late in playoff games.
    I still dont think that they will bring him back though.

7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I would love to see this happen. Are you kidding me? A lineup consisting of:
    Damon
    Jeter
    Sheffield
    A-Rod
    Giambi
    Abreu
    Matsui
    Posada
    Cano

That is insane. As much as I like Melky, I could easily get over it with a lineup like this.

8. Boss Revis

Boss Revis Active Member

Throwing games for the Brewers makes him a totally, honorable man.

I mean, I consider him for an award of some kind.

9. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Giambi to Matsui is too many lefties in a row.
    It should be more like
    Damon
    Jeter
    Abreu
    Sheff
    Giambi
    A-Rod
    Matsui
    Posada
    Cano

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

If Torre hasn't bumped down A-Rod yet, he never will. Otherwise, I am fine with that lineup, though I would probably want Giambi to get more at bats than Abreu.

11. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Abreu is the one guy who can match OBP with Giambi and since Giambi has more power, I think it makes sense to bat in that #5 spot. Abreu is also faster than Giambi.
    With Abreu/Sheff on, the opposition cant shift their fielders as they normally do against Giambi.
    Giambi's RBI's should rocket up if this lineup holds.

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

That's a very good point. I didn't think about that. I just wanted Giambi to get the plate appearances, but yeah, he may get one less at bat a game, but he will gain at least 3 RBI a week.

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, but it shows that just because you behave appropriately in one situation does not mean you aren't an ass overall, or absolve you of all of your other behavior.

14. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

He is not a jerk just a steroid using cheater,

15. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

Add Soriano to 2b and then you become a roster of entire All-Stars.

#15 JETSFAN5180, Aug 2, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  16. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

I'm not a yankee fan but wasn't Cano an all-star this year?

17. GreenMachine

NONONONONONO!!!

Do you know where Soriano ranked defensively for 2nd basemen???

DEAD LAST!!!

18. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Yes he was.

19. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

All you guys need is Mauer behind the plate and you're set :breakdance:

20. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Damon
    Jeter
    Abreu
    A-Rod
    Giambi
    Sheffield
    Matsui
    Posada
    Cano

That is the best configuration of the lineup, no doubt.