Yanks vs. Toronto 8/10-8/12

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by Cappy, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Before you go all douchey again, can you answer me this: Do you even know what it is? (No googling.)

2. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

not quite.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Bay is as "American" as Borat is.

4. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

he can lifeline me if he needs to.

5. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Or brett hull.

6. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

i take that back. the US can have hull.

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

You already told me professor.

8. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

So what's the issue, then?

You know what OBP is. You've even considered it important enough to use in conversation.

I imagine you think slugging percentage is pretty important, too.

Nothing super fancy is going on here. Just those two stats, added together, and measured relative to the rest of the league. If you think that's esoteric and/or useless... *shrugs*... then I don't know what to tell you except, you're probably the kind of guy who needs to have things explained more than once.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It was a joke........ Relax.

10. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Calmer 'n you are, dude.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Terrific...Mitre starting Saturday and Gaudin starting Sunday..

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08122009/sports/yankees/gaudin_likely_to_start_sunday_184179.htm

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08122009/sports/yankees/in_joba_math__less_means_more_184132.htm

Joba gets extra time between starts...don't they realize he pitches like shit when he does?

Cashman and Girardi have now bet their jobs on Mitre and Gaudin. They should have known it would come to this when they made Chamberlain a starter knowing he could never finish the season. Hughes (he of 2 innings a week) isn't even in the conversation.

#91 Don, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't get these extra days. Won't it throw Joba off of his rhythm? He is a pro. Let him pitch.

13. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Do you just make shit up? Joba as a starter this year:

4 days rest: 4.23 ERA
    5 days rest: 3.95 ERA
    6+ days rest: 2.74 ERA

The rest of your post isn't even worth responding to.

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Cappy....new day, new game...my yankee-humpin' friend.

Today..your yankees will have to deal with Ricky "the Gun" Romero.

The Yanks are in serious trouble :)

15. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

I can't believe we're going to end up throwing Mitre and Gaudin in back to back days; although I suppose it doesn't matter if we maintain a comfortable lead atop the AL East. Ideally I'd like us to be at 85 wins at the end of August. This would mean only 4 losses till September, which I guess is improbable, but it would allow Cash/Girardi to do whatever the fuck they want with the rotation come September. Hell, rest everyone, throw Edwar and Albaladejo out there every 5th day.

If we get to 82 wins by the end of August (.750, 12-6), I think we're sitting pretty. We pretty much only have to play a little less than .500 ball in September (15-16) to take the division (assuming 97 wins wins the division) and maybe 3 Ws less for a Wild Card. That still isn't bad, and we could still afford to throw shit like Gaudin and Mitre or Mitre and Ortiz or Gaudin and Ortiz out there every 5th day.

Realistically, I think we're due for a little slump. That West Coast trip looks like it could take the wind out of our sails, and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up finishing off August a little less than .500, maybe at 8-10 or something (78 Wins). Still not the end of the world, but it wouldn't afford us the luxury of trotting out two(or three) meatballers every 5 days, having not locked up anything.

We should have just stretched out Hughes as a starter when we had the chance, come to think of it.

16. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

I think Aceves might become the fifth starter, which is fine by me.

17. Don

I know what he did against Boston on 7 days rest. I know what he did in his first three games after the break on 4 days rest..only you could care about what he may have done in April and May. You are totally absorbed by meaningless stats.

18. Don

We still have the chance..send him down for 2 weeks. We barely use him in the BP as it is.

19. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

:lol:

Okay... wait a second wait a second wait a second.

First of all, his first start after the break was on nine days rest. And was awesome, right? Whoops, there goes your theory.

Secondly, it's not just April and May. It's also June, July, and August. You know... the whole picture. But fine. Let's say you're a what have you done for me lately kind of guy.

You said, "Joba gets extra time between starts...don't they realize he pitches like shit when he does?" The fact is, he doesn't. He tends to pitch better on extra rest.

Or are you really telling me that you are basing that judgment off of the ONE mediocre start he has said on extra rest since the break (while ignoring the one very good one)?

If so, you, sir, are ridiculous.

But yeah, I guess I'm just absorbed by meaningless stats... like ERA. :lol:

20. Don

Ok, I'll add to your meaningless stats..yes he had a better ERA in the FOUR games he pitched with rest of over 6 days. He also averaged a little over 5 innings in those games and gave up 4 walks a game.

His other 18 starts were on 4 or 5 days rest. In those he also averaged just over 5 innings a game and gave up 2.4 walks a game.

What does it all mean? Nothing.

Right now and for the rest of the season he can't pitch on normal rest. They have to use two garbage pitchers instead. That is the problem. I can't wait to see how a 4-12 starter that went against the feeble NL west does against the AL east.

#100 Don, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009