Yanks@Jays

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by Hofstra Jet, Aug 19, 2008.

1. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I'm not sure who you're referring to, since I don't recall anyone ever saying this is "the worst Yankees team I've ever seen". For myself, I know I've said I don't ever remember being this disappointed, but that's a totally different story. There was far too much talent on this team to lose this many winnable games. With the pitching we've had, this lineup should have been able to score enough to win 6 out of every 10.

But that's disappointment, not delusion. I saw some bad teams in the 80s, so I know how dismal things can be.

2. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Now I'm certainly no Yankee fan but anybody thats says this is the worst Yankee team they've ever seen is clearly a 96er or bandwagon fan. I remember when the Mets were the marque team in town and onlt at events like Old Timers day and Bat Day would they get close to selling out.

Oh yeah I remember when the Yankees had pitchers like Greg Caderet, Eric Plunk, Tim Leary and Scott Kamienecki. When they traded Steve Sax for Melido Perez, Bob Wickman and Domingo Jean. Now those were some bad Yankee teams. What was it 1990 when they lost about 100 games. Good old Stump Merrill.......

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Every time you run down players from the late 80s you make me wince. Names I had buried long ago come back to haunt me every time.

4. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Is Giambi serious? Asshole.

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Cano and Molina.

I just love how the bottom of the order has to do all the work.

6. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Cody Ransom FTW! :rofl:

F U Giambalco.

7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

:lol:

Nady!

Now Mo will blow it in the bottom of the ninth.

8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Oh Alio I've got a million of em and not just Yanks, it was pathetic when I had to cheer for clowns like Rico Brogna, Charlie O'Brien (as if Kenny O wasn't enough) Joe Orsulak and Dave Magadan. How could you not love pitchers like Lee Gutterman and the loveable loser Anthony Young?

Maybe the team with biggest collection of worthless players in the late 80's was the Phillies. Garbage like Steve Jeltz (aka Soul Glo), Rick Shue, Dickie Thon, Milt Thompson, Luis Aguayo. Great pitchers like Kevin Gross, Don Carmen, Shane Rawley, Bruce Ruffin.

Remember some of the players on Baltimore? Larry Sheets, Craig Worthington, Jeff Ballard, Don Aase, Mike Boddicker.

I could go on all day man.....

The Reds with Cal Daniels or the Angels with Johnny Ray. How could I leave out the Cubs with Lester Lancaster or the Rangers with all sorts of good ones like Oddibe McDowell and Steve Buechelle.

9. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

What have you got against Dave Magadan? Guy was a good player for the Mets. Sure his power numbers sucked but he walked and got on base a ton.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

There were always a few sellouts, it was like the Mets most of thios decade. As much as it sucked not making the postseason as a fan goign to games it was great. You used to be able to get general admission seats and move around. I always wound up sitting right near the field by the dugouts and a bunch of times they had the right field HR area roped off b/c not enough seats were sold but my Dad would show the guard his badge and he'd let me and my friend sit over there. They were good times as a fan going to games. The Yanks never really got bad until about '89-'91, that's when we were truly awful and had no hope. Up until '89 we always had some hope but it was always dashed.

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Man, 99% of the time I wouldn't remember any of those guys, then you list them, and I'm like "Damn, I had that dude's baseball card."

I remember those days. By the 6th inning you were sneaking down to the seats closest to the field in your tier. 20,000 was a big crowd, and Cap Day was the one that filled the Stadium. Or the return of Billy Martin. Or another retirement ceremony (my favorite having been Rizzuto's).