Yankees vs Royals

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by JetsNation06, Sep 28, 2009.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Monday, September 28 Yankee Stadium | 7:05 PM ET

Chad Gaudin, RHP (5-10, 4.78) vs Luke Hochevar, RHP (7-11, 5.98)

Tuesday, September 29 Yankee Stadium | 7:05 PM ET

A.J. Burnett, RHP (12-9, 4.19) vs Anthony Lerew, RHP (0-1, 3.86)

Wednesday, September 30 Yankee Stadium | 7:05 PM ET

Joba Chamberlain, RHP (9-6, 4.72) vs Robinson Tejeda, RHP (4-2, 3.41)

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

The Yankees B-team beating up the Royals. You almost feel bad for them. Almost.

3. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Gaudin pitched quite well.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

hahaha this game means nothing

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

What do you think? Has he pitched well enough to earn a spot on the postseason roster? I think he might have. It's going to be some tough decisions I think. Here are my picks:

Sure Things:
    Damon
    Jeter
    Teixeira
    ARod
    Matsui
    Posada
    Cano
    Swisher
    Cabrera
    Gardner
    Molina

CC
    AJ
    Pettitte
    Joba
    Mo
    Hughes
    Coke
    Marte
    Aceves

Probables:
    Robertson
    Gaudin
    Bruney

Hairston
    Hinske

Possibles:
    Pena
    Duncan
    Cervelli

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Gaudin will make the roster, I am sure of it. So will Robertson. Not sure of Bruney.

I turned on the game quick and with the exception of where it was I would have thought I was watching a Scranton game.

(oh, and your 104 wins prediction is looking really good)

7. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

I just got offered tickets to go to the game tonight. I kind of don't want to go.

8. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Yeah, I think Gaudin has a really good chance, and he definitely earned it. Robertson I'm certain of, as long as he's healthy. That's my only question mark on him, and it's not a big one.

I think Bruney makes it. When he's on, he's practically unhittable. The Yankees' web site says he'll get another shot to earn his spot tonight. I actually heard him on the radio pregame with Waldman last night, and he was really touched by the fans' ovation the other day. I really want this guy to stay healthy in the future. I think he's got what it takes to be the setup guy until Mo passes the mantle to him.

It was actually hilarious to watch the Yankees' AAA team beat up on the AL's AAA team. I actually felt a little bad for Hochevar though. I mean, he had clearly lost it when he finally walked the bases loaded. The Royals have no tomorrow to play for, why isn't there someone warmed up and ready to help him out? Why leave him to the wolves with a good hitter in Cano coming up?

Did I predict 104? I can't remember. Whatever I predicted I think it was predicated on Sabathia winning 20, AJ winning 15-17, Pettitte winning 15, Joba winning ~15 and Wang winning 17+. Looks like only CC and Andy will manage their numbers. AJ did stay in a few games he didn't get a decision for though, and the Yankees won a few of those.

EDIT: I just read on the Yankees' web site that they're only planning on carrying 10 pitchers into the ALDS. That leaves:

CC
    AJ
    Andy
    Joba

Mo
    Hughes
    Coke

According to the site, the following are on the bubble: Aceves, Gaudin, Marte, Bruney, Robertson.

I can't see not bringing Marte. I doubt they want just one lefty in the pen. So that almost surely leaves Bruney out unless he's amazing over the next few games. Robertson deserves to be with the postseason team, and how can you say Aceves doesn't? Then Gaudin has been at least as good as Joba.

I don't like this 10 pitcher deal. I'd carry all 12 of those guys. Your starting bats are what will win behind stellar pitching. Not Hairston or Hinske or Duncan in a PH AB.

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

someone offered me tickets too...what the heck im going. Its the inaugural season, havent been to a game yet, Burnetts pitching = positives enough for me

10. Don

You predicted 104 just a few weeks ago after it appeared the Yankees had the division locked up coming out of Boston.

Wow..only 10 pitchers..I guess in the Division series Chamberlain will be in the pen anyway..still, only 10?

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Did I? Man, my memory is just a sieve. Hahaha.

I don't know about Joba going to the pen. Unless they decide to go with Gaudin as a starter in the second series. I doubt they want to bounce Joba around anymore after earlier incidents.

12. Don

Chamberlain to the pen in the first series where they will go with only 3 starters. I think that's how they can make do with only 10 pitchers. He may not get used there but at least he would be available..hell, most of his starts lately have only been 4 innings anyway.

13. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

I decided I'm not going. $8 for the toll and $4 for the subway ride doesn't seem worth it to me.

14. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

But he'd be limited on when he could pitch out of the pen. Though I guess that would be the case either way. The key is that they'd need to keep him on schedule, and he definitely couldn't pitch in more than one game in the ALDS if they were going to put him back in the rotation for the ALCS.

I wonder if this opens the door for Gaudin to be the 4th starter in the postseason, where Joba just pitches out of the pen and Gaudin makes a start or two if absolutely necessary. I might be in favor of that, even though I know Joba would throw his best stuff in each appearance and start the whole "Joba belongs in the pen" argument again come Spring Training. This team has a chance, and even when it comes to the young arms, there's a legit shot to win it now, and you always have to take that, future be damned.

15. Don

He could end up in the pan anyway next year..Yankees have interest in that Cuban defector and there are a bunch of FAs starting with Halladay anyway..Pettitte deserves another year if he wants it..Wang might be back...can't believe they will sit still.

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Joba will start next year, bank on it.

Halladay isn't a free agent for another 13 months.

Wang is nothing to bank on.

Pettitte will be back.

I don't know if this is much of a market this year. Who is going to be available? Besides, with Joba, Hughes and Kennedy, it doesn't make a lot of sense to go pursuing free agents and spending more money on top of this payroll. They also have to make decisions on Damon and Matsui this winter, both of which have probably played their way into another contract in pinstripes.

I think the Yankees will be surprisingly quiet this winter, save for re-signings.

17. Don

They say Hughes is still a starter too.

Projected starting FA pitchers. Not much here. A couple.

Brandon Backe HOU
    Miguel Batista SEA
    Josh Beckett * BOS
    Erik Bedard SEA (B)
    Daniel Cabrera ARZ
    Bartolo Colon CWS
    Jose Contreras COL
    Doug Davis ARZ (B)
    Justin Duchscherer OAK (B)
    Adam Eaton COL
    Kelvim Escobar LAA
    Jon Garland * LAD (B)
    Tom Glavine ATL
    Mike Hampton HOU
    Rich Harden CHC (A)
    Tim Hudson * ATL
    Randy Johnson SF (B)
    John Lackey LAA (A)
    Cliff Lee * PHI (A)
    Braden Looper * MIL (B)
    Jason Marquis COL (B)
    Kevin Millwood * TEX
    Brett Myers PHI
    Vicente Padilla * LAD (B)
    Carl Pavano MIN
    Brad Penny SF
    Odalis Perez WAS
    Andy Pettitte NYY (B)
    Joel Pineiro STL (B)
    Sidney Ponson KC
    Jason Schmidt LAD
    John Smoltz STL
    Tim Wakefield BOS (B)
    Jarrod Washburn DET
    Brandon Webb * ARZ (B)
    Todd Wellemeyer STL (B)
    Randy Wolf (A)

#17 Don, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Looking at Damon's stats from his first year in NY and this year his HR's, RBI's, 2B's, BB's and Avg. are nearly identical. Kinda crazy how similar they are.

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Is Aceves actually on the postseason bubble? That guy has been huge for us this year. He should be there. Gaudin and Robertson too.

20. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I'd be stunned if Aceves or Gaudin didn't make the postseason roster. Robertson is a possibility because of his injury problems of late.

I think the most likely odd man out is Brian Bruney.