Yankees @ Orioles - 5/26-5/28

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by AMJets, May 25, 2008.

1. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

i think the simple answer is they still have to win games while the transistion happens...the foormula to win games is having mariano close.

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Of course Mo is the guy in the ninth whenever the score dictates a save situation. I just think that Joba was pitching well enough, and still had more to throw, that it would have made sense to at least send him out there for the ninth. Mo was warming anyway, so he would have been ready if needed.

Either way though. I'm just waiting for an official announcement that he'll be taking Kennedy's next start. That should be exciting.

3. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

I have asked this question every single time someone raises this idea that Joba should have stayed in the pen for the rest of this season and moved to the rotation next year... the only response I have received is the chirping of crickets. Here it is again, though:

If Joba stays in the pen this year, what do you do about his innings limit next year?

You would have the exact same problem. He'd be capped at 140-150 going into next season. So next year, you would either start him for 2/3 of the season and shut him down. Or you would have him throw five-inning starts all season long. Or you do exactly what the Yanks are doing this year... only you'd be doing it a year later.

At least this way, the Yanks are maximizing his value to the big league club, both short AND long term.