Yankees Acquire Sal Fasano; Looking at Wilson Betemit. 7/26 game thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by AMJets, Jul 26, 2006.

1. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

sal fasano looks like a hairier rick cerrone and bowa will replace torre when all is said and done. melky is doing his job all we can ask for.

2. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

I agree on all counts. Melky is one of my favorite players. He's the greatest. And I love Bowa. I'd support him to be our manager if we couldn't get our hands on Piniella. :)

3. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

melky is a great name for a major league baseball player.

4. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Well, without Cano in the lineup, I am fine with Cairo just for his defense.

As for Proctor, let's say for arguments sake that Sturtze was healthy all year. I think Proctor pitches much fewer innings, and is just fine at this point. Instead, Torre puts in Myers for one lefty, pulls Farnsworth after he gives up a base hit, and does things like let Beam blow a tight lead. Of course Proctor is going to fail once in a while.

Torre makes the opposite mistake with pitchers that he does with positional players. He sits guys like Crosby, and they stagnate, then people complain they don't perform. Well let them try to hit a 90mph fastball after sitting around doing nothing for 3 or 4 days. On the other hand, he throws in pitchers like they are trading cards. An arm can only take so much work before it needs surgery.

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I don't want Pinella or Bowa as the manager.

Mattingly is my heir-apparent right now. I would much rather have had Girardi, but you take what you can get.

6. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

Mattingly actually WON nothing as a Yankee player so what makes you think he would win as a manager?

7. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

Reggie Jackson is a Steinbrenner favorite dont count him out as a future manger.

8. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Not that I like him, but Torre had never even been to a WS before he came to the Yankees. That's not really a smart way to do business, basing the decision on their championship record as a player.

9. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but I believe it was much more than the Fenway game....just remember him making several mistakes in the field..and not hitting at all.

I hated Bowa too...but this guy is in to the game..really does a hell of a job coaching 3rd base...saw him in the dugout getting pissed off trying to move an outfielder...a nice change from the usual snoring that goes on inside that dugout.

10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

i agree completely...bowa is a very good addition because of his fiery attitude, almost like donnie henderson when he came to the jets

btw, i still say do the proctor trade

11. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/bombers_just_wont_gamble_with_proctor_yankees_george_king.htm

I've been a big Cashman fan, but it's alarming if this is true, that he has deemed Proctor "untouchable". It's almost unfathomable to me how he wouldn't jump all over the steal that is Proctor-for-Betemit. Hopefully he'll come to his senses ASAP.

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Cabrera was only here for 6 games last year. That bad game in Boston is what got him sent down. Thankfully, it didn't ruin his confidence.

A WS is no barometer for success as a manager. A good coach is a good coach. Mattingly is one of the smartest players to put on a Yankee uniform. It wasn't his fault George & Co. ignored pitching his whole career. Look at what he has done with the Yankees since coming back as a hitting coach. He is credited with resurrecting Giambi's career. He has been getting the young guys to have patience at the plate, including Cano and Cabrera. From everything that has been said, he is as beloved in the dugout as he once was on the field.

I don't like the job Bowa has done at third. I think he has improved from early in the season (remember him stopping EVERYONE at third?) That doesn't impress me a lot though. Seeing him last night whining in the dugout to Torre that "nobody listens to me!" while trying to shift players was just sad. He is far from my first pick for the next coach. Hell, I would keep Torre for 4 more years before I promoted Bowa, and I want Torre gone yesterday.

As far as Proctor, 10P10, you have to understand, as much as you feel it would be a steal, and you are probably right, it doesn't make good sense for the team. Who would fill in the middle relief spot? You can have all the bats in the world, but if you can't pitch through the first 8, you will never get to Mo. Not that Torre likes to let any starter throw 7 or more, but our pitching staff is not making it that far anyway. Wang probably can do it the most consistently. Johnson and Moose are not kids, and Wright is lucky to make it through the 6th. We need arms in the pen to bridge the gap. Proctor is the only guy who can consistently do it for us. (As I have said, I like Vallone, and he has been very impressive, but he throws too hard, and as much as he is used, his arm will be hanging by a thread off his shoulder by mid-September.)

13. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

If Proctor was any good, I would agree. But he's not.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think w/ the mustache he looks like Joe benigno

[​IMG]

15. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I hear what you're saying. I don't totally agree though. I think Proctor is pretty good. He is just used too often out of necessity. Put another quality middle relief guy in the pen, and I think Proctor is just fine. The point is, it doesn't matter how good he is, we need him. Hopefully Chacon can take last night forward. That would give us the one-two punch, along with Vallone we desperately need to protect Proctor for the late part of the year.

Dotel is never coming. I firmly believe that at this point. We need whoever can get the ball over the plate for a couple of innings we can get at this point. Right now, we need to concentrate on needs. We need pitching, not hitting. Like him or loathe him, Proctor is the best we have.

16. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Proctor is "untouchable" because, as last night's game illustrated in a painfully obvious manner, TJ Beam isn't ready for big innings right now. Especially with Farnsworth injured, we just can't give away Proctor.

I have a feeling if Atlanta were willing to expand the deal to give up Sosa or Ray that Proctor would become very touchable, very fast.

17. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

With Proctor having gone 2 innings the prior night and Farns out, it was the absolute right spot to use Beam and see what he has.
    I would of rather seen Villone but he was needed to bail Wright out earlier.
    My only issue with using Beam in that situation is that I dont know when the last time he did pitch. If it was his usual 5-6 days ago then it his performance was understandable.
    You guys have to remember but Proctor was brought along the same exact way.

18. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

I dont want Sosa anywhere near pinstripes.

19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Buttle, I love that avatar!

20. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Thank you but the credit has to go to Green Machine. He made it.
    It might be short lived since training camp is starting and it just might be time for my old one to make a return.