Yahoo/Manish: Smith thought he should be and would be the No. 1 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Apr 30, 2013.

1. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

The trolls are out in full force today...

2. dex13

dex13 New Member

actually, the story is a mirror of the original scouting report from profootballweekly.com

"Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching."

3. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Geno's pissed about the contract money he lost by slipping into the 2nd round when he should be focused on learning the playbook.

If Revis was attacked for holding out, will fans call out this rookie for being a douchebag if / when he does the same?

Red flags everywhere on this guy. Sorry...I'll be shocked if this kid doesn't flame out. There was plenty of talent still on the board at #39.

I would have given up #39 to move up to #3 to take Dion Jordan / Tavon Austin. Then go all in on Teddy Bridgewater '14.

Even if it's not about the money, he should swallow his pride like Aaron Rodgers did and move on.

4. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I'm glad you're not GM, while both were on the radar, moving up was the last thing the team needed.

we have a QB to develop NOW. he isn't a diva douche, those reports are about as reliable as Sanchez is for keeping control of the ball.

these "red flags" are a fallacy. he fired his agents ooh, such a greedy douche.

hes not as fragile as most think, let the kid play he's got batter attitude than you think.

5. BleedGreenDaily

They almost moved up for Geno...

6. mikey

mikey Active Member

If given a chance to sit and learn, Geno's celing is very high. There's really no pressure to start him since no one is expecting us to be very good. I believe we have a really talented, underrated team right now that could surprise people, but I'm ok with a subpar season and getting Clowney or Lee next year. Lot of teams spend years rebuilding, Idzik did a lot to cut our rebuilding years down to maybe just one. I'm also a little excited to see what Sanchez can do now that he actually has to fight for his job.

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Gotta say I don't like what I'm hearing about his attitude. I really hope that changes, then again, we took him in the 2nd for a reason. Get to work, son.

Playing on his phone while other prospects mingle with NFL execs is a really stupid fuckin thing to do.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Just reading that Jason Cole story gives me shivers because it is so poorly sourced. You have "league executives who spent a lot of time analyzing Smith before the draft", a potentially very different case than executives at teams he visited.

Then you have "two sources" who said that he was aloof and playing on his phone during team visits, which seems really unlikely if you think about it. The guy isn't going to go to a team and blow them off when he is concerned that his draft stock is falling and Nawrocki has just called him a low character guy.

Then the same sources say that he's telling his friends that the agents screwed him over.

And you look at all of that and it looks like the "league executives" could be just about anybody but probably not from teams he visited, since Cole would have sourced it that way if he could.

It looks for all the world like the two sources on the other stuff are his ex-agents, because really who else has any chance to know what his friends are saying?

So basically it looks like a hatchet job, with the "league executives" potentially being just about anybody - including people who came out of the Jet's GM interview process feeling screwed, people who worked in the NFL last year and currently do not, etc.

It's just a really ugly piece.

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Yep, and the fans think he will be a franchise QB. Please!

The reason we have him is to sell tickets, just another act for the circus. People that think he is great only look at the stats and nothing else. Any of the other top QBs would have been way better. If the Jets passed on him he would have ben a 3rd or 4th round pick. He fumbles the ball more than Sanchez and in another other offense he would of had a shit load of Ints.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Nobody fumbles more than Sanshit..nobody.

11. foreboding

foreboding Member

Did the Jets work Geno out?

12. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

It depends what Rex considers a workout, drinks at a strip club?

Rex worked out stanton last year and his contract lasted one week. Rex work out Sanchez, how does that look? Rex is a good DC in a clown suit, pretending to be a real HC.

We need a Real HC who will put fear in the players and send some packing. A real HC who knows how to fit a system to players not force players into a system they can't play.

13. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

Man, you've been wrong quite a bit lately, and this might be the most wrong of the wrong. What exactly do you mean by the bolded, because you can get mad at Rex for a lot of things, but forcing players into the wrong system isn't one of those things.