Yahoo/Manish: Smith thought he should be and would be the No. 1 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Apr 30, 2013.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

He will fit in good with the three ring circus. No one ever said he would be the 1st overall pick, he is a ledgend in his own mind.

After falling out of Round 1, Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith fires his agent

"According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, Smith was under the impression that he should be and would be the No. 1 overall pick of the draft. It is understandable for Smith to be disappointed about not being a first-round pick, but unless he was specifically being told by his agents that he would go No. 1, we're not sure how they are at fault for his tumble out of Round 1.

Smith was clearly aware of what "so-called experts" were saying about him, and if he were paying attention to mock drafts in the days leading up to the draft, he should have known that the Kansas City Chiefs' pick at No. 1 overall was going to be a left tackle, either Central Michigan's Eric Fisher (who was the pick) or Luke Joeckel from Texas A&M (who went No. 2 overall to the Jacksonville Jaguars). "

I believe a player should be confident, but be real, he was never going to be #1 and was lucky he didn't slip to the 3rd round. But the Jets needed a new act to replace Tebow and in they swooped to get another player who would sell those seats.

I truly hope either Mark or David win the job outright and lead us to a playoff run. I never want this kid to step on the field, because when he does his value will fall like a rock. How the FO thought he would be our savior is beyond me. If we would have waited until the 3rd or 4th for a QB I wouldn't haver cared less, but this kid in the second, please! Burn all you want! We never got the TE or Safety we needed. We could have at least traded back and picked up another pick or two before selecting this kid.

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This is a pot stirring non story.

Next.

3. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

This is how any quarterback entering the draft should feel

Just another example of the media desperately trying to turn a non-story into a national headline because its the jets.

4. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Lets remember who is "breaking" this news. Manish "un-named sources" Mehta! This time he doesn't even bother stating where this information came from.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Wow..somebody is believing a Mehta story? Even Cimini has become more credible than this clown.

6. Mangold Goldman

Wow get over yourself bro... I dont know if this is even true or not.... But how about you consider the source? Mehta is essentially a gossip columnist masquerading as a sports journalist

7. NFL

NFL Active Member

Gotta love the media .

8. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Lots of people believe Manish. Fans of other teams think that everything in the NY media is absolute truth. Thats the worst. You cant even talk to them without them pulling out some bullshit. My favorite comment from fans is that Geno Smith must hate his life because he fell to the 2nd and was picked by the Jets. Mind you this is a Dolphins fan who hasnt seen a playoff win in years.

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

The NY Media is going to eat this kid up and not in the good way.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm liking the fact that Geno thought he should be the 1 pick. It's not like the possibility was never discussed in the months leading up to the draft.

I hope he comes into camp with a chip on his shoulder ready to show the world how #1 he should have been.

Secondly, don't read to much into the Manish Mehta stories. He has clearly established himself in the muckraker realm looking to profit off of stories that make the Jets look bad. This is not a bad reflection on Mehta BTW, everybody has to sell if they want to survive in the NY media market. He's just picked his niche and mainly sticks to it.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's confident now take that as motivation and prove everyone wrong. He can learn a lot from Aaron Rodgers

12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

The NY media eats up anyone they want to.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So Mehta has learned to craft a whole bunch of fluff out of nothing. He's adapting rather well in this New York tabloid market, I see.

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

Only if you pay attention to it

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The one thing I like about Geno Smith so far is his passion. I wasn't on board before on Geno, but I like the fact that he doesn't take shit from anyone. I think the guy is extremely motivated

16. foreboding

foreboding Member

Geno said it in an interview, well he said that he thought he would be drafted higher and that firing his agents was not because of that.
    He said it was alot of things, though what else is there so far?

17. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

The mock drafts Geno was suppose to look at? These so called experts Mcshay and Kiper each had less than 5/32. Midway through his season he was the unanimous #1 and heisman front runner. He was the best QB prospect give the kid a break for feeling he should be drafted higher. Like it or not he's a Jet now. Judging from jet fans last year anybody other than Sanchez playing QB was great but I guess not now that we drafted the #1 QB in the draft with our third pick!!?

18. BleedGreenDaily

This is scary situation. I just wish EJ Manuel would have been there that guy will be special. I just hope Geno learns to shut his ROOKIE mouth he isn't in college anymore.

19. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

You and your 40 posts a day must think that Geno is the next coming of the antichrist or something.

20. BleedGreenDaily

Why do I not see you post anything of worth just attacking people you don't agree with.