WW85's RD 1 MOCK DRAFT..POST COMBINE 3/1/11

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Mar 1, 2011.

1. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Thanks. I agree that Rivera will go D in round 1, would be shocked if he does otherwise, but their offense needs a LOT of help.

2. JetsFanatic389

JetsFanatic389 New Member

Good mock but I'm not a big fan of Ayers. I don't think he's the type of player we need. He may be a solid pro but will never be a guy offenses have to gameplan for. I really want a pass-rusher and I think Sheard is the way to go.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Akeem Ayers can line up anywhere in the front seven: inside, outside, at defensive end in four man fronts.

He's definitely the kind of player you have to account for on every snap.

Martez Wilson is another guy that's just as versatile.

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Do you realiaze Sheard didn't have a sack after Oct 30? He's a streaky player that at times takes off plays.

I like Sheard, but too many are drinking the kool-aid that he's going to be a 1st Round pick. At this point in time....JS isn't going to be drafted in rd 1.

What makes Sheard stand out is his "tude"...he plays with an attitude and I agree the Jets need some attitude guys on defense. To think Sheard will be drafted in rd 1 and be our savior at pass rush is wishful thinking.

Ayers is a very versatile player that could do a lot in Rex's defense.

Sometimes we're too wrapped up in only looking at a pass rusher.

5. JetsFanatic389

JetsFanatic389 New Member

Yes Sheard disappeared some snaps but so did Ayers. He was truly invisible some games, and even a liability in others. His sacks and pass rush this year were a result of O-Line mis-communications and mistakes. I rarely saw him beat an OT and I never saw him bring pressure up the middle when blocked.

Yeah, he's good at many things (coverage, play diagnosis) but I don't think that will translate to being a good NFL player. I like players who stand out and physically dominate in college and I just don't see that in Ayers.

I want Sheard badly but the DL prospects at the end of the 1st may be too good to pass up on. Best case would be to trade down but that may be tough to do this year.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That's why I like Sheard more too. When I watched Ayers he never looked mean to me. Sheard has that mean streak you want out of a LB.

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Sheard may have struggled to record a sack in the four games remaining after that date, but he defended the run very well and recorded 5 or 6 TFLs and a couple forced fumbles.

I didn't watch that many Pitt games this season, but when I did, I never really noticed him taking plays off. I saw him get taken out of a few plays because of double teams, but he didn't quit on the play.

I really like Akeem Ayers and he'd be a hell of a selection if managed to fall to 30.

Between Martez Wilson, Akeem Ayers, and Jabaal Sheard, it'd be a tough choice for me.

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

i like martez wilson due to the fact that he is a hell of athlete, he also has very good size...just wondering if his pass rush ability is up to par? (or moves bc he has the explosion)

9. Petey

Petey Active Member

What if I also threw Jerry Hughes into the mix?

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Jerry Hughes won't be available. I heard he's going #1 overall.

11. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

That's the thing, he never was a pass rusher at Illinois other than blitzing from MLB a few times.

That might scare people off, but he does has dormant rush skills that were untouched after high school. I think Rex can bring out what he was truly meant to be. He already has the LB'ing part of the position down, which is one of the hardest things for most players making the switch.

He has LONG arms, longer than most elite passrushers in the league, plus a very long frame that can add another 10-20 pounds. He has 4.49 speed at 250 already, so more weight wouldn't hinder his speed much.

He is a project, like most Rush OLBs are, except he's on the different end of the spectrum...

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

well I acutally really like this kinda pick, especially with rex as the coach. It wud be outstanding if we cud trade back into the second (early) and pick up a 3rd, but idk if his stock went up to where he is a definate 1st after the combine

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

and it definitely looks like he could add 5-10 lbs easily

14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

15. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

16. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I don't have too much respect for the guy.

He doesn't travel.....he doesn't go the the E/W Shrine, Senior bowl, Pro days or the Combine.....he just goes off of what he watches on TV and reads on the internet...and he's an expert??.

I know a few guys that have much smaller sites and travel and scout players.

17. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Yeah actually wondered how the guy even blew up so well? Advertising? Being right on like on prospect?

18. 624

624 Banned

Being 1st on google

19. Trifco

Trifco New Member

sorry, wrong thread :p

#39 Trifco, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  20. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Nice to have this active. After the combine, do you still see Denver taking Fairley over Dareus? Well, clearly you do, that's how you mocked it. I guess the more accurate question is why?