WTF is Miami Doing?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Falco21, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The problem is that you need to hit on the quarterback at the right time with a strong foundation and then hope he can carry the load ala Russell Wilson and how the Seahawks handled him.

It's tough to get the perfect storm like they did of a quarterback who is on their rookie deal and can handle the big moment, prior to having to pay everyone else that is already the foundation of your team.

I do see what you're saying but I firmly believe they're taking a QB at some point this year. Unless they will try to replicate this non success and use your strategy only to take Lawrence next year.

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

That trade back would leave them with 4 first round picks next draft plus the would add to this year's draft. They can really rebuild that team quickly with 7 firsts plus 5 seconds in the 2 drafts. I would try to sign Bridgewater, if he won't sign, keep Fitz and Rosen another 2 years and grab a QB next year.
    There's a short window for young QBs to succeed now in the salary cap era.
    At least if you have an o line and weapons, you give them a chance and can really evaluate them before their option year or second contract.

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The risk in doing that is not being bad enough in 2020 to secure a spot to take a top QB prospect in 2021.

4. TonyFtLaud

With 4 first and 3 seconds next year they can still move up to 1 and still have a ton of premium picks left. Remember they also have a ton of cap space that they can use to land some veteran FAs . I'm not really sold on Tua , maybe that's why I think it's their best option.

5. TonyFtLaud

They would have the ammo to move up if necessary. Besides Free agency is before the draft so they would know going into the draft if they can land Teddy or not.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I highly doubt they want a game manager ala Teddy Bridgewater. They want the next Andrew Luck.

They also would not have that much ammo left if they have to move up from say 7 to 1. Look at the hauls the Rams and Eagles had to give up to move up. Not to mention the amount that teams will tax the Dolphins knowing all the picks they have.

I also doubt trading up is Brian Flores' style.

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

ah gotcha. miami will still take a QB it seems. every regime wants "their guy" they dont' seem high on rosen, but they could rie the fitz train for another year and stick with rosen as the sucessor and not take a QB, but even with that we all know fitz never strings 2 good years together in a row

8. GasedAndConfused

I'm really hoping we wind up 1st overall at this point so miami and cincy can throw crazy offers at us to trade up over each other. It's nice having a top pick without needing a QB in a good class. we could really use the extra picks. still get thomas for LT and use the extra 2nd rounder for a C

9. TonyFtLaud

We will fuck it up and win a game or two. Always do...

Stagman and GasedAndConfused like this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Even if Young is the next Miller (which I'm not sold on), it makes no sense for the Dolphins or Jets to take him first overall. Either take a QB or trade down. Because even Miller can't carry a team. When Denver won the SB, their defense was loaded with a lot more than Miller. And if you put Miller, even at his best, on the Dolphins or Jets, it won't put them anywhere near contention.

11. TonyFtLaud

Teddy proved himself more than capable this season. He's a legit NFL QB. Luck could have been a great QB but having no O Line ruined him.
    That's why I believe the Dolphins would be wise to build their O Line and skill positions as much as possible this year.
    Look at the hype surrounding Darnold coming out and where he's at now.
    Having an o line and weapons would likely have him looking much better.

12. GasedAndConfused

I'm calling it now. week 17 against the bills we beat them to go from the 2nd overall pick to the 6th overall

as it stands now we are in a 3 way tie for the 3-5 picks with Cincy at 1 and wash at 2. At least we knocked miami back a bit but IDK if i see cncy or wash winning another game. we may wind up around 7th overall. lots of bad teams along with us this year. cincy, wash, miami, us, falcons. then you also have the bucs, browns, and giants. we could win 3-4 games and pick 8th overall at this pace

13. TonyFtLaud

The Dolphins could easily take him. They would still have 2 more first round picks. With 3 more first next year

14. TonyFtLaud

I think Miami is behind us in 4th. We will beat one of Cinci or Washington. Maybe find another win before the Bills game. 5th or 6 the will be about where we land. As usual.

15. CotcheryFan

Maybe Gase can help us get a top 2 pick if he's not fired before the end of the season. Of course that could mean that Sam is ruined beyond repair and we have to take a QB. Only the Jets.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We should anyway..Darnold is not the answer and if you haven't seen that yet you soon will.

17. GasedAndConfused

it goes by SOS which we can kind of predict but not fully. there really isn't a tie breaker this early in the season and our schedule is very weak for the rest of the way which would help us land a better pick but Mia also should have a weak schedule. We've already played the pats twice, bills, eagles, dal, jax, all with winning records so our SOS is high now which means we would lose the tie breaker as is. only bad record teams we played are the browns and fins

18. TonyFtLaud

I don't think Gase is going anywhere before the season ends and sadly I think he will be here next year too. Maybe even longer. We will be looking for a new QB by 2022-23.

19. TonyFtLaud

Our SOS is currently 470, the weakest of teams in contention, except for the Giants, for the first pick
    Only teams lower are the Eagles,Jax, and NE

20. CotcheryFan

Now there's a depressing thought.

TonyFtLaud likes this.