WR's

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cbman13, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Dude... I like the optimism but come on. Peake true potential as a #1? MAYBE. It's been 1 game. I appreciate being a fan and I'll give you that. Jalin Marshall a Santana Moss?! LOL. Bro what was his target %? He was an UDFA and you think he could become a Santana Moss? These aren't mid round picks. They are bottom of the barrel. While it may not matter to you, statistical you don't have a chance in hell.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree in both cases.

3. NCJetsfan

As a long-time Jets fan, I understand where you're coming from, but if fans can't be optimistic and excited now (even if some appear to be a little over the top in their enthusiasm), when can they be? Let him enjoy his enthusiasm and hopefulness. If he's wrong, he'll get brought back down to earth, and maybe, just maybe, he's right.

nycarl likes this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Nice posts, and exactly what I was thinking too, especially the Marshall/Decker getting older. Heck they could both be gone in a few yrs. McCagnan is/will plan accordingly. We might not like his choice of WRs to keep (now), but he always has his eye 2-3 yrs down the road. Again, good write up. Best in the thread....

5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I disagree that we can get by without Thompkins. Outside of Marshall and Decker, our WR corps is very unexperienced. Enunwa has played 1 season during which he was suspended 4 games and saw limited targets, Smith has only played a couple games in which he struggled, and Jalin and Peake are both rookies that the league let drop to the 7th round or later. It's too much of a leap of faith in the young guys to go into a season with the duo and a bunch of unproven hopefuls. Yes, they have potential to develop into something, but counting on that is irresponsible. If one of the top 2 guys goes down are you really comfortable with them becoming primary options? Thompkins has a year in the system, experience in the league and was pretty solid for us down the stretch once he developed a feel for the offense and Fitz (remember, he came in mid season). I'd be much more comfortable keeping him and trying to stash one of the young guys on the practice squad.

6. NCJetsfan

We'll have to agree to disagree. I can understand why you would want to keep Thompkins, and perhaps in any other year I'd agree, but I think it would be irresponsible to keep Thompkins and lose a promising young player like Jalin Marshall or Peake. If either are cut, another team is all but guaranteed to gobble them up.

Ross is an experienced veteran and imo is as good a receiver, and he is also a proven returner. Thompkins doesn't play STs so is too limited. A #4 WR has almost got to play STs or be a topflight prospect. Thompkins is 28 and in all likelihood wouldn't be with the team more than maybe 1-2 more years after this one. This is his 3rd team in 5 years had a hard time sticking anywhere. He's just not that good. Ross has played for 5 teams, I think, but at least he's a good returner on STs. I think a case can be made for keeping him, but not so much Thompkins.

#66 NCJetsfan, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  7. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

pick the top 4, then keep ones who show skill, even if they spend most of their playing time on special teams.
    go with the best 53 guys, even if you cut former 1st round picks who can't play or spend way too much time
    on some non-playing list......:rolleyes:

8. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

you are absolutely right.

wonder if he ever heard of wayne chrebet? what round he was 'drafted' in?

9. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

What has been the Jets success with UDFA WRs since Chrebet?

10. NCJetsfan

Apples and Oranges. We have a different scouting team, different FO and different CS. What previous scouting teams, CSs and FOs did is irrelevant.

Freddy Mondo and tbruner12 like this.
  11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I think we can be pretty sure that neither peake nor jmarshall will go unclaimed if waived/cut.tt. If the jets cut either hoping to sneak either onto the practice squad watch a smart team snap them up.

tbruner12 likes this.
  12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Neither Peake nor JMarshall will MAKE it to the practice squad IMO, Any coach other than the brainless Rex Ryan would snap up one/both of these guys IMO. Thompkins is 28, costs us 1.5M in salary, dropped the ball in the final game v. buffalo last year which would have brought us back, and damn near dropped the ball against the cowboys which was his only big catch last year. Nothing personal against thompkins but peake and jmarshall are younger, faster , better and cost a lot less.

almbleamal likes this.
  13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Exactly. Great point. Especially with Maccagnan being known as an outstanding scout/evaluator of talent.

Players like...

• Wes Welker, WR, 2 All-Pro's/5 Pro Bowls.

• Chris Harris of the Broncos, CB, 2 Pro Bowls.

• Brian Waters, Guard, 2 All-Pro's/6 Pro Bowls.

• Jason Peters, OT, 2 All-Pro's/8 Pro Bowls.

• Adam Vinatieri, K, 2 All-Pro's/3 Pro Bowls.

• Priest Holmes, RB, 3 All-Pro's/3 Pro Bowls.

• James Harrison, OLB, 2 All-Pro's/5 Pro Bowls.

• Rod Smith, WR, 3 Pro Bowls.

• Antonio Gates, TE, 3 All-Pro's/8 Pro Bowls.

• Tony Romo, QB, 4 Pro Bowls.

• John Randle, DT, 6 All-Pro's/7 Pro Bowls.

• Warren Moon, QB, 9 Pro Bowls.

• Kurt Warner, QB, 2 All-Pro's, 4 Pro Bowls.

Although rare, these are only a handful of undrafted players who became NFL studs. There are many more too.

All I know is with Jalin Marshall, the kid played for a big time college program of Ohio State. He might've gone undrafted but the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker & Todd Bowles have absolutely loved this kid during the offseason. Chan Gailey has him working & running with the 1s & 2s. He's without question been our training camp standout performer. And what's he do during his 1st game out? He returns an explosive/electrifying 80+ yard Kick Return.

Jalin Marshall (undrafted) & Charone Peake (7th Round) are real deal prospects.

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

All true, but I'm just nervous to be counting on guys with 0 career receptions if something catastrophic happens. You never know how those guys are gonna play when the lights go on, no matter how good they look in practice.

15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

that is true, too.

16. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Thompkins is JAG and I would hate to lose a young upside player to include Robby Anderson. My WR list after preseason game 1 is:

B.Marshall
    Decker
    Enunwa
    Ross
    J.Marshall
    Peake

When Smith comes back we maybe add a 7th or pick between Ross and Jalin/Peake. By that time it might be easier to sneak Jalin or Peake through waivers and onto the PS.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Someone said it here, Peake was a top 10-15 WR recruit out of college and played behind Watkins, Bryant and Hopkins. Had an injury plagued career, maybe he stays healthy and fulfills his potential. Marshall, I think he plays like Steve Smith a little bit, he runs with physicality. If they can continue to catch the football, they will have plenty of time to develop and learn from the best.

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

The more they play the better their chances. They need somebody other than Enunwa to step up. It's a great opportunity. I would wouldn't count on Smith returning and being that guy yet even when he is able.

Marshall and Peake are getting valuable time practicing and playing. That doesn't mean I don't like Smith. But the work Marshall and Peake are getting is starting to amount to more than Smith has ever gotten to this point, and that's important. The opportunity is there right now.

tomdeb likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I would hate to lose Thompkins because it seemed like he and Fitz had some chemistry late last season and he gels with our top 2 guys. Would also hate to lose either of Peake or Marshall. One thing is for sure, whatever happens, a lot of people are going to complain on the Internet.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Lots of talent on that list. Peak at number six is arguably better than most of our receivers going back 3 years ago.
    I'm afraid we might loose Ross or Marshall when Smith comes back.