WRs are indirectly involved in pass protection

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerryjeudy, May 3, 2020.

1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I didn't make it an anything versus anything.

You said "you can say that about any position". I picked a position.

For Left Tackle, you gave one legit LT, one below average RT, a kicker who played a few games at a few OL positions early in his career (including tackle positions, granted), four OGs, and a Center.

It's cool though, you win. I guess I made it a WR vs OL thing.

2. TwoHeadedMonster

Also, Rod Smith lined up at X plenty, and so did Victor Cruz. You want to find me some stat where they lined up at Z 51% of the time or something?

3. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Lou Groza didn't just play a few years at a tackle. The man was the kicker and tackle and a 9 time pro bowler. He is a ww2 vet who joined Paul Brown in Cleveland after the war. The man was a pro bowler as a kicker and offensive tackle. If you limit it to just tackles though we can limit you to just x receivers. You named one. Granted some of who you named were just as good in their day as the lineman. The point was you can get a udfa at any position. But it's more likely for draft picks to work out. We need receiver help. Not just taking udfas and late rounders. Mims is a step in the right direction but we have to keep trying until we get a good core. Then we have to keep a flow going.

#103 J-Raw24, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
  4. Again,i was responding to the notion of finding players at specific positions later in the DRAFT. UDFAs are the exact opposite of that premise.

You chose LT for a reason & dont say you didnt.

So...how does “teams can find quality players at every position in later rounds of the draft” get countered with “Oh yeah? Name a Good LT who was an undrafted free agent”?

I gave you names of several OL players & couldve included others including Joe Joeckel,Mark tunei & Bucko Kilroy.

Since im assuming your point was to suggest that quality OTs are more scarce than WRs..thought it was only fair to hold the WR position to the same lofty standards.

Rod Smith was an X but never anything special.Cruz i would consider more of a Z & was a flash in the pan.

5. TwoHeadedMonster

Fair enough. I hit on the last line of Zach's post about Chris Carter being a UDFA, and your response of "the same can be said of any position". I disagreed, and I literally picked LT specifically because I could only think of 2 good UDFA LTs (Joe Jakoby and Jason Peters) off the top of my head, and was fairly sure there weren't many others.

I had tunnel vision about that part of his quote and your response. My mistake there. Also, in looking at the other posts in the thread I see how you could easily conflate my claim with supporting OL over WRs at all costs--but that's somebody else's argument, not mine.

For the record, if you are interested: I remember the Jets line affording Sanchez plenty of time, but Jeremey Kerley and Chaz Schilens couldn't get a quarter inch of separation. I know exactly what that was like, so I know how important the WR position is. At the same time, I remember a whole lot of games with Kenny O on the injured list, and fans getting to see far too much of Pat Ryan not completing passes to Walker and Toon.

You gotta have both OL and WR, you're not going to win much without both.

6. J-Raw24

I like Kerley but he was a far better #3. If we would have just went for receivers instead of dline or corner every year we could have at least made an attempt. Sanchez wasn't great but the FO sure didn't help him either.

I believe Kurt wanted Becton as well. It was nothing against that pick it was all the defensive picks, some of which that weren't even a need, that followed. Did we need 2 corners? Did we need another safety? I know they could end up decent but there were a lot of receivers that had huge potential.

Hopefully we address it next year. But relying on a rookie who may take time to develop and 2 vets that may have shown some promise but never been solid in 4 years, it make no sense.

This is Sam's 3rd year. He should be taking a leap, but in order to do that the FO has to put him in a good position. I believe the o line has improved, but the need chemistry and to prove it as it a complete makeover. The receivers are an even bigger question mark. Outside Crowder none have had a decent year and none have played with Sam.

Jerryjeudy and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Jeudy might indeed become an absolute sensation, but that doesn't mean he would have for the Jets. It's hard to apply the word "sensation" to an OT, but Becton will become the All Pro he's expected to be, and that will make more of a difference to the Jets than Jeudy would have.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Duly noted. Now shut the fuck up about it already.

9. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Am i the only guy who thinks this is that poster w prior alias something to the effect of "I am not the bit coin guy [Satoshi Nakomoto]"

Tries to select a real clever alias; Has the same annoying character traits of droning on in his own threads which are usually quite stupid to begin with, e.g., let's fire new coach after 4 games or whatever

I don't think he's DWC -- not enough stats and DWC's usually rah rah on the Jets' move. this guy wants everyone to jump on his criticism bandwagon

Made a mistake passing on JJ
    Made a mistake hiring Gase

Anyway just speculating

K'OB likes this.
  10. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Total nonsense.

Shouldn't this man crush BS be on the Broncos fan forum? You can join in existing love fests by blind homers

K'OB and J-Raw24 like this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I live but to serve my Queen.

:D

12. LF911SC

And if Jeudy turns out to be a nondescript WR, as many do, and Becton becomes the sensation most think he will, then JD is the genius.

And if Mims is as good or better than Jeudy, even more so.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  13. K'OB

Sorry pal but try talking about something else for a change, not everybody can agree on every subject, at the end of the day we needed a top WR and a top LT who is most important to Sam?

You think one thing along with some others also and others support the theory that a QB on his arse after 1.8 seconds is not going to find the top WR, we have tossed this back and forward for the best part of 10 months if not longer.

You are a good poster, don't let this one event define you into one of these characters :mad::mad::mad: you don't ever want to be like that ;)

I wanted LT followed by WR, WR but it was shocking how fast the ones I wanted went off the board, hell, Mimm's was never even on my list at all tbh.

But it was the guys first draft and for me on paper and under close scrutiny the players selected all have a chance of doing something for us, granted the QB is a project but again JD isn't Mac and the other dolts of the last 10 years and he will get at least two drafts before the pitchforks get sharpened from me. :D

#113 K'OB, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
    101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

DWC, I mean JerryJeudy clearly thinks Jeudy is the next Jerry Rice. He's gonna pass protect and catch passes from Darnold. Nothing you can say will convince him otherwise.

15. J-Raw24

I wanted Becton. I think he was the right pick. I cannot speak for Kurt but have seen him say the same thing. I also liked the Mims pick. My problem was the following picks.

Davis may become decent but did we need safety more than another receiver? Good safeties are available in free agency every year. There are still some available that are good like Tre Boston and Tony Jefferson.

Zuniga may develop but most people think he was drafted to early. If he doesn't develop into a stud pass rusher then we took a huge gamble. I have watched his tape and while he has a great first step, after that he tends to not finish plays. Add the injury issues and he could easily be a wasted pick.

We drafted Hall, which was a good pick. Then we trade for another corner in Wilson. One of them could workout. But we had just signed Desir and resigned Poole so the chance both will start are slim. Add to that Lamar Jackson as a udfa has the potential to show them up and Bless Austin deserve a chance to compete.

I don't think Kurt questions the Becton pick, I know I don't. It was what happened after that pick.

TwoHeadedMonster and K'OB like this.
  16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

All the world’s a stage, cracker
    And all the men and women merely players;
    They have their exits and their entrances,
    And one man in his time plays many parts,
    His acts being seven ages. At first, the infant,
    Mewling and puking in the nurse’s arms.
    Then the whining schoolboy, with his satchel
    And shining morning face, creeping like snail
    Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
    Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
    Made to his mistress’ eyebrow. Then a soldier,
    Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
    Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
    Seeking the bubble reputation
    Even in the cannon’s mouth. And then the justice,
    In fair round belly with good capon lined,
    With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
    Full of wise saws and modern instances;
    And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
    Into the lean and slippered pantaloon,
    With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
    His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
    For his shrunk shank, and his big manly voice,
    Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
    And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
    That ends this strange eventful history,
    Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
    Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything, cracker.

joe and K'OB like this.
  17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

You're all clueless. Don't you tell me to pump my brakes. I called it. I'm living the life.

18. LF911SC

There was an almost unhealthy love affair blooming for all to see than went all out man crush

19. K'OB

I have shortened it down to quote but I did read your post.

I know Kurt understands the Becton pick, no problem with that at all, and in my post I said I wanted pick 2 and 3 to be WR's but at the end of the day I am not complaining about it in every single post I make, it is done, you can't change it now and Kurt is in danger of being consumed by this WR thing, so much so that he states that he doesn't relate to this fan base anymore and let's be frank that is very much like a veiled insult (maybe I'm being a bit harsh), just because some people don't agree with him. The thing is we do agree but what is done is done and it is time to let it go for the goodness of his mind and well being.

I said to him I liked his posts, they are intelligent and well thought out but this is dragging him down another route and I don't even want to talk about that arse that has appeared out of the blue, rattling on and on about Jeudy.

#119 K'OB, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
    J-Raw24 likes this.
  20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I could not concentrate on what this old man was saying