Wow... this team is bad all across the board.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The team was definitely ravaged by injuries this season. It’s worse then I can ever remember. The team had no depth to begin with...this was discussed during the offseason and a lot of the record predictions were based off going injury free.

The problem is that the players who are playing don’t resemble a team. Lack of talent coupled with poor coaching gets what we have here this season.

The Jets are years away from making any noise. The Bills are on the rise. Belli is just waiting to prove that he can win without Brady.
    Sanchez and Darnold are hard to compare because of the completely different situations they had.

Sanchez had a defense, a great OL, and some play makers at wideout.

Darnold has a bad defense, the worst OL in the league, and nobody that’s going to pull a jump ball down.

Darnold has definitely made some horrible decisions and that’s completely on him, but every part of the team around him is so terrible that it’s hard to get a read on what he could actually be.

SOJAZ and ouchy like this.
  2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .Right sentiment, wrong message board : (

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .Nice strawman. Who said anything about Todd Blackledge or Tony Eason.

. .Kelly: entered the NFL at 26 years of age after cutting his teeth in the USFL (Generals/Gamblers)
    . .Darnold's 22 and won't turn 23 until June, 2020.
    . .Coach: Marv Levy (OL capable of running a K-gun offense: Kent Hull, Jim Richter; Ruben Brown at the end).
    . .Darnold? . Todd Bowles, Adam Gase (OL: Brian Winters, truly a pos btw & co.).

. .Elway: phenomenal talent. Also the stand-up guy who told the Colts 'GFY'
    . .Coaches: Reeves/Shannahan (OL: Gary Zimmerman, Tom Nalen, Keith Bishop, Dave Studdard, Ken Lanier).
    . .Darnold? . TGG's current bust-in-residence (OL: Chuma Edoga & co.).

. .Marino: if only the Jets didn't stupidly buy into the coke rumors but instead the Pitt-Ga. Sugar Bowl.
    . .Coach: Don Shula (OL: Dwight Stephenson, Keith Sims, Richmond Webb, Roy Foster).
    . .Darnold: Adam Gase - QB Whisperer. (OL: take your pick).

. .

. .To be fair to Josh Rosen, he probably wasn't going to get a fair shake in Arizona anyway given his worldviews (well that's what I heard).

Pepsiguy5 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Don't blame Bell. 2nd & 15...We had six linemen blocking three rushers...and they let one come scot free
    and blind side Sam.

6 on 3 and they let one come free...smh

Fun bonus fact- The TE on that side didn't chip and ran a 3 yrd. comeback...on 2nd & 15!!!

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Might as well throw Ken O'Brien into the mix.

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .whatever, I'm not going to judge Darnold in a vacuum nor (prematurely) throw him to the dogs - not yet and not by a long shot.

dawinner127 and MJK like this.
  7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

The stats have just been updated and its good news and bad news

- Good News - Jets o-line for run blocking has improved (or others have got worse) and it is now ranked 30 (was 31)
    - Bad news - Jets O-line for pass protection has become even worse and is now ranked dead last at 32

So combined its essentially the same as before

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly Sam and Baker are looking a lot like Blackledge and Eason. All we heard about last years QB draft class was best since 83. Nobody was talking about Lamar Jackson when they brought that up. Who do you think they were talking about? Meanwhile the draft class a year before and a year after is looking a lot better for QB's.

There's also a big difference drafting a QB today than in 83. We have something called analytics, we have a much more developed combine, all of these QB's have had pro coaches. We have more film and more data available today to GM's than ever before. It isn't even comparable to what it was in 83. We also have a rookie salary cap. Darnold's age is completely irrelevant.

Kyle Murray is 22. He was drafted to the worst team in football and has a QB rating just under 90. Watson and Mahomes came out at 22.

You can make all the excuses but the truth is Darnold to date has shown some flashes but has mostly looked like a 2nd rate QB. Blake Bortles was 10X better than Darnold in year 2.

The problem is Darnold and Rosen were being hyped before they did anything in college. Their college performance in a bad conference was up and down. Baker played in a conference where there is literally zero defense. He was amazingly accurate throwing without pressure to wide open receivers on virtually every throw. Were fans we get caught up in the hype. We drafted Sanchez because of the hype.

Mac blew it when he passed on Mahomes and Watson. Anything we get out of Sam is going to be years out with a lot of development and we already lost 2 years on his rookie deal.

#88 Biggs, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

They were both over hyped USC QB's after being 4 star recruits. They both came out with very little actual college experience. At least when Sanchez was at USC it was a big National program. USC was not a big time National program when Sam was there. They both are terrible decision makers. They were both thrown into starting when they weren't ready. Sanchez was protected but he was never a good QB. He flashed a few times in a couple of big spots.

They were both nice goofy kids. Sanchez had a little more swagger and his basic mechanics were a little more solid although he had a long throwing motion.

10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I have been saying it for years & years but because it was not what 99% of the posters wanted to hear they just dismissed it by posts flaming me I guess in there silliness each & every post all these posters made were a plain bald face LIES :mad:

Jets69 likes this.
  11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Well to be fair, no one takes you seriously because you are just a jaded miserable old man. It’s not like you have any football analysis behind your opinions.

Acad23 likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Darnold threw for 450 yards and 5 touchdowns in the Rose Bowl. The actual Rose Bowl. You may have heard of it, but its a football game where 2 big time national programs play every year

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

And there it is.

The cold hard truth.

@championjets69 is 0-50 in bringing the VLT to NY... :mad:

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If you think USC is in a big time College conference you're dreaming. The Rose bowl since the College playoffs has become an exhibition game. Ohio State had something on the line the week before when they played USC, Sam had zero TD's and an INT. If you want to believe the Rose Bowl post the championship playoff means something have at it. FYI Sanchez was the Rose Bowl MVP. If you want to hang your hat on an exhibition game have at it. Vince Young was the MVP twice when it meant something. Not a good NFL QB.

15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Do U know me personally?. That answer is NO right which means what U posted in your post is just plain made up BS nothing more nor nothing less or harsherr just plain old lies. :mad:

16. BrowningNagle

my only argument is that the Rose Bowl is a competition between 2 big time national programs. because it is. I'm not trying to argue because someone had a big game once, they are bound for success. So Idk why you mention Sanchez or Vince Young

USC was obviously a big time national program during Darnold's tenure. He started 2 seasons. 1st season, they win the Rose Bowl and finish ranked no.3 in the whole nation. No.3 dude.

Second season they finish ranked 10th in the whole nation, after losing in the Cotton Bowl - another matchup between big time national programs

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

USC was ranked ahead of Ohio State after the playoffs and the USC exhibition game against Penn State. Ohio State in a must game to get into the playoffs beat USC 24 to 7 in the last regular season game that counted in the top 4. USC got ranked ahead of Ohio State in the final poll.

I'm just saying that USC plays in a second rate conference and the final polls that put them 3rd based on the Rose Bowl which was a consolation game for Penn State is absolutely nuts.

USC is one of the biggest hyped programs in the Country. Sanchez was overhyped and so was Darnold. I believe Darnold has pro-talent. He was not starting material last year and he looks like a guy who needs a lot of development right now. I hope it happens but the way rookies need to produce and show what they have on their first contract may be more than Sam can overcome.

The reality is last years draft class compared to the year before and even this years is underperforming. Last years draft class was highly hyped mostly because Rosen and Darnold have been hyped since high school. Mayfield's hype was based on results at least.

The two ugly aspect of the Sam to Sanchez comparison is they both lacked enough experience in College to start right away in the NFL and they were both hyped by the USC machine.

18. BrowningNagle

Beyond playing for same college programs and NFL teams, like almost 10 years apart mind you, I don't believe there is much else to compare Darnold & Sanchez by. They obviously have very different skillsets and weaknesses. So I'm not sure why we come back to this comparison

Sanchez grew up with hired 'QB gurus' and developed perfect mechanics. That's more Rosen

I think a better comparison to Darnold is Matthew Stafford. Both guys showed flashes of brilliance in college but also a tendency to turn the football over. Both guys had/have rough mechanics

#98 BrowningNagle, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I always thought Darnold compared to Matthew Stafford myself. And even though the Lions apparently never will, I believe you can absolutely win with Matt Stafford in the NFL assuming the rest of the franchise does its job. I think you can win with Sam Darnold too and the Jets may yet be able to do it but they absolutely have to start getting this kid some protection and help.

Making the ballsy assumption that Sam won't get physically wrecked the rest of the way this year I'm hoping that maybe the silver lining here is that there is no more "getting around" the fact that the OL needs to be addressed NOW. Not next year, not "down the road," not "at some point" Its gotta happen immediately, involve premium draft picks, and hopefully be the focus of any big free agent dollars and/or trades. After the display of ineptitude that's been put on display the last two months there isn't even any debate anymore. Any jackass can see what needs to be the priority now.

When we got spurned by Kirk Cousins in free agency this was kind of the path that we got set on. And while hopefully the Jets can still pull the chestnuts out of the fire and salvage the future we're in a terrible spot now. The OL was already in shameful neglect, then to draft Sam we lost all those 2nd round picks (not to mention our premium #6 pick which likely could have been QNelson) then on top of that there wasn't much help available in free agency... and before you know it here we are. And while I have to say that I've been broken record bitching about OL neglect the entire way through I never in my wildest nightmares expected things to be THIS bad this season. Talent is obviously lacking but watching a lot of these film breakdowns be people more expert on football than myself it looks like coaching/scheme/excecution is horrendous as well. Sam Darnold has to at best overcome some kind of fuck up or breakdown on literally almost every snap. You run out of adjectives.... its just unbelievable.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While I completely agree that Macc blew it by passing on Mahomes and Watson - he should've been fired for that alone - and that Mahomes is certainly a better QB than Darnold, I don't share your low evaluation of Sam.

For one, not all 22 year olds - or people of ANY age - the same developmentally. Mahomes was the son of a major league pitcher - that provided a fertile environment and elevated expectations for Pat to shoot for, not to mention the role genetics plays in that. This is one of the reasons I was so high on Mahomes: his pedigree. He was almost certain to succeed based on all of that.

With Darnold, I agree he doesn't possess the physical talent of Mahomes, but he does possess a lot of intangibles that can't be coached. Watching him move in the pocket and then making plays on the run provide evidence that he's gifted. That said, he needs more of a supporting cast than Mahomes does, and with the Jets he certainly doesn't have that. The OL is a dumpster fire, and his HC is making him worse, trying to get him to do things he's not able to do (at least at this point). I agree he is't in the "special" class of QBs who ca overcome anything and be great, but there are very few of them. Still, he's the best prospect I've seen on the Jets since O'Brien, and maybe even better than him because he has mobility (at least for now).

Darnold is certainly good enough to take them to a SB and win it, but he can't do it by himself. He definitely can't do it with Gase as the HC and the OL they have. Had Sam been the QB instead of Sanchez we would've won at least one SB IMO. I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

And on a more practical level, even if there was some "superstar" QB coming out this year, if the Jets were able to get him, they would have to use their #1 pick rather than trading it for a few high picks that could be used to get OL and a stud pass rusher which they desperately need. I prefer to stick with Darnold at least for next year - assuming Gase is long gone - and building the OL and maybe upgrading the receiving corps. Then if he doesn't show the ability to win a SB, look to replace him after that.

NCJetsfan, SOJAZ and JetsUK like this.