Wow...Bravo Geno!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsruby, Aug 14, 2014.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Maybe it's me, but when you see a guy with all the physical tools that wasn't mentally ready to be an NFL QB yet take a step forward and show more poise and patience... you are allowed to be excited.

Br4d and max like this.
  2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Did I say anything about anyone not being allowed to be excited? I said I wasn't excited. Is that OK with you?

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Just feels like you're downplaying the fact that he's taken noticeable steps forward in that area.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The second year is the most important year for a young QB. His rookie season he is who-what-where most of the time and opposing coordinators are setting common traps for him to fall into. This is the season that Geno gets to show us whether he's really ready for the job or not.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

My expectations are very low for Geno but I hope he surprises me. I hear a lot of nice things so far but I also have not personally been impressed by him. Week 3 is a better show of what to expect anyway.

6. Br4d

I'm about where I've been all along on Geno. I think he has the tools to be a good QB but I don't know if he will make the adjustments necessary to fulfill that potential.

It really doesn't help that he has a blank on the field at one of the WR positions as often as he seems to.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

All the opposing DC's also now have a year of film and an offseason to study on him. I like that he's studying them, but they also have a more open book on him.

8. Br4d

They're all going to be worried about his legs. He doesn't run enough to put a spy on him but I expect the middle of the defense will be a bit softer than it otherwise might be since they will likely have a guy close enough to track Geno down if he runs.

Axel3419 likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I don't think he's causing many defensive coordinators sleepless nights.

Not yet anyway.

Until MM & Geno prove different, teams will look at us to run....and then run some more.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think this is an over simplification of things. I also don't know if I understand what you mean by "keep a guy close enough". Are they going to spy him or not? Maybe you mean we'll see more zone coverage? But if that's the case how does it mean a softer middle. I guess I really don't understand.

DC's had an entire offseason to identify any weaknesses Geno put on film last year. Did he struggle against press coverage in certain situations? Was he unaware of shifts along the defensive front that they can take advantage of? Are there coverage traps he may be vulnerable to? I'm sure there are many more things they're seeking to identify and exploit.

Obviously none of that will be apparent in the PS either.

#110 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  11. Br4d

I think the middle of the field 15-25 yards up between the seams is going to be soft. I think defenses are going to have the strong safety up to stop the run and keep an eye on Geno and that's going to open things up behind him. A spy would be watching Geno on every play in a short zone coverage over the middle. I don't think that's what's going to happen. I think they're going to be aggressive with the SS to try to stop the run with the added benefit of keeping Geno from scrambling up the middle for big gains.

Nobody is going to be playing 5 DB's unless the Jets have the slot receiver in the game.

Almost all of Geno's errors last year were unforced. They were errors of commission on his part. DC's can't plan for Geno getting better. If he is still making the same mistakes then DC's will be able to exploit that but if he's not making a lot of unforced errors there isn't much they can get out of last year's tape other than they'd better account for his ability to take off and get some yards.