Wow...Bravo Geno!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsruby, Aug 14, 2014.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's a friday so I'm feeling positive. Smith struggled for large stretches of his rookie year but he seems like the type of guy that A) isn't going to let that discourage him. (he was resilient and fearless all last year) and B) takes football and preparation seriously enough to get better.

Here is a great article that came out prior to the draft about his preparation and film study habits. It has some great quotes from his old QBs coach at WVU about how he has never seen anyone study tape as much as Geno Smith did. It's also interesting that the guy talks about how he sees Geno as an under the center type QB, which is contradictory to what many believe. Worth a read for sure.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/02/geno_smith_is_a_top-5_player_i.html

Brook!, IBLEEDGREEN17 and onefanjet like this.
  2. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

I was always rooting for Geno, And I think with the weapons we picked up on offense and a good running game he will prove
    a lot of people wrong this year. Nice article and I hope this gives him some more confidence, Cant wait to see him play the first
    half this Saturday night. I know its still Pre-season but maybe they will open it up a little more in this game. Go Jets

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Good article, even though Spivital was pretty much wrong about everything he said.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

All that intel gets buried in his sub-conscious. QBs relly on split second decision making when mayhem is crashing in around them, and all that comes from the sub-c. When players talk about practicing something until it becomes 2nd nature, that's what they're talking about. The more info Geno can pack into his brain, the better his split second decision making will become. Knowing your adversaries tendencies is a small part, but an important part just the same.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

Haha yes a little discouraging

6. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

We'll see man. Prove it that it's not all for naught Geno.

7. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

How come the media never refers to black athletes as gym rats. its always the Sanchez or Larry Bryd guys even though that's what this guy is. You never here about his work ethic. It's always so negative, like the glass is half empty. He played 16 games as a rookie in NY fish bowl with a new coordinator, head coach was on the chopping block and the worst set of weapons ever assembled on a Jet team and he won 8 games!!! Holy smokes bat man. And he's rated # 32. The hate for the Jets is so obvious.

Brook! likes this.
  8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Guys remember this time last year Geno wasn't even taking snaps with the first team, he came from a completely different system in college than ours and was forced into the fray. Oh yeah we had absolutely no weapons on offense last season either...

While I don't expect Geno to look like Aaron Rodgers, I do hope to see convincing improvement from last season. Not just in his stats, but in the way he carries himself down the field.

The 1985er likes this.
  9. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I agree that it's good that he's putting the time and effort in and it shows he is really invested...

But it is really his job to do this stuff IMO and shouldn't be that noteworthy. Surprised to hear Rex didn't know he was doing this stuff as it would seem that the HC should be promoting this kind of film study.

It is alot better news than Browns fans hearing that Johnny Rocket can't even get to practice on time!

#29 CJLang, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  10. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Let's all clap for Geno for doing his job,watching film is something he is suppose to do

11. abyzmul

Like someone said earlier, Rex isn't allowed to know what players are doing that early in the offseason. But yeah, it's his job. Maybe if we got a subpoena of his text history with Geno we'd know better. ;)

And yeah, at least we're not talking about Geno tightly rolling up paper bills in the bathroom of a Vegas nightclub.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Come on man he was just tipping the attendant.

13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Did you do any kind of search before trying to make this a racial issue? I typed in Geno Smith Gym Rat in Google and came up with dozens of articles going back to 2012 scouting reports, I didn't bother searching any further but I am sure I would find more. Some of the articles also brought up his "elite" work ethic so I am not sure what you have been reading.

OK, back to the discussion.

14. BrowningNagle

There is a point to be made there for sure. Not trying to derail this thread with race discussion but they do still tend to stereotype that the black athlete as one that relies on athleticism alone vs. the white athlete that uses his brain and hard work to get ahead. Not fair at all.

Last night Toby Gerhart rips off a 20 yard run and Gruden says something to the effect of "People might be surprised to hear that he has big play ability. He lead the league in rushes over (so&so) yards. He doesn't look like he has that kind of burst..." Why Jon, because he's a white running back?

The same treatment is being paid to Cam Newton vs. Andrew Luck.. two promising young QBs.
    In the media one being portrayed as a golden boy with all the tools you want in a franchise QB (Luck) with an amazing future ahead of him. The other has all the same tools, better benchmarks of play even, but gets criticized for non-football things and isn't being portrayed as a future cornerstone of this league. The truth is they are both hard workers and film studiers.

I think we saw that with Geno Smith coming out. Every account of his work ethic, study ability, and leadership from West Virginia was good but one guy from Pro Football Weekly rips him to shreds saying he's not a student of the game and compares him only to black QBs who busted. Since then you had guys like Mayock tearing him down and the whole report about his reaction on draft day came out..

I think there is some kind of bullshit stigma associated with him that he is having to battle that I am not sure others (white) QB would. I also think he has handled the whole Vick acquisition very admirably, certainly better than Sanchez did with Tebow, and no one is talking about that.

Brook! and All Gas No Shake like this.
  15. abyzmul

Maybe it's the fact that the NY Jets beat writers are racists.

16. BrowningNagle

Another promising thing to come out of camp regarding Geno & Vick even, is comparing camp performances this year vs. years past. The last few years we had reports of the occasional awful practice from Geno, Sanchez. One or two days or so during camp where they absolutely laid an egg.

Geno has had better and not so better days this year for sure, it's natural to some degree, but to my knowledge there hasn't been a day where he has really had a stinker. Vick as well. Very encouraging.

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Rex Ryan, the Big Brother of New York Jets.

18. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I heard about that a little while ago but it's definitely good. I'm still not con
    I think Vick had a bad day but not 100% sure. But, yes, in general I agree with you that it's a good step that we aren't seeing tweets like "horrible day for Geno, went 2-11, 2 sacks, 2 ints" or something like that. Has he thrown picks in practice? Of course he has, every QB does. But they seem relatively limited. The big test with be against the Bengals and Giants, not just for him but for the team in general as far as turnovers are concerned.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. abyzmul

That's a really good point, I hadn't really noticed it, but you're right.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I can't wait for Geno to surprise most people! He will definitely be better than 2013, but how much better we still have to see. At the very least, we know he is doing the right things to get better. Most importantly: He wants to.