would you want Fitz back at vet minimum?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by thirtyoddfreestyle, Jan 1, 2017.

1. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

No Megatron, no Suh.....no low draft pick next year....will they be able to rebuild quick enough to justify paying $22 million next year, and whatever it would cost beyond before they pull it all together again? Just food for thought....

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Unfreakingbelievable!!! Simply unbelievable!! Jets fans!! :rolleyes::confused::eek:o_O

NYJetsO12, tomdeb and LarryAlRalph like this.
  3. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I think the word you are looking for is NO.

tomdeb likes this.
  4. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

There are going to be some tough calls on certain players that need to be shown the door, or re-structured, Fitz is not one of them. It's bad enough the team will be paying him 5 million against the 2017 cap, to compound it and even let him play for that would be disgusting...

5. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

No way, I can't even stand seeing his face! I'm not a geno fan but I'd rather have him back than fitzpukeface.

6. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Sure got me scratching my head. When you're 5-11, your job is to get better. And the Jets will not get any better with Fitzpatrick playing QB for them. Ever. At all. It's time to move forward.

#66 LarryAlRalph, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

His interception total was the lowest he's ever had, and he had the second best completion percentage of his career with a spread approach subtracting Megatron.

If he was 35 you'd have a point, but I don't think you make a decision like that at the quarterback position unless they were at the end of their careers. You keep the top 15 player at the position at all costs, especially when he's had the very good season he's had with virtually no running game and a spotty defense. Their leading rusher had 357 yards.

It seems like he's been around forever but he's only 28 years old. It can be argued that he still has his best years ahead of him.

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Getting Fitz back would be like getting back with a girlfriend that you cheated on and she cheated on you at the same time.

It's time to move on

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

you never go ass to mouth

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. PickSix

I understand your perspective, but are they better off building the team before worrying about the QB as opposed to having the QB and trying to build the team only to have the QB not serviceable once the team is built? Dallas as an example, they built a team that a young QB could succeed with. Is Stafford more valuable as trade bait at this point as opposed to costing $16.5million next year and possibly more beyond for a team that is not ready to take the next step?

11. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

NO

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think the idea is that paying the quarterback all that money can help mask the deficiencies of the rest of the team or at least parts of the team. Stafford did exactly that this year in leading a team to the playoffs with the 30th ranked rushing offense and no rusher in the top 40 of the league.

13. PickSix

Does that sound like a team that's worth keeping him for one more year before FA? Trade him for a boatload of picks, save $16.5million, get a higher draft pick after the team tanks, and maybe, just maybe, resign him when he hits FA....if not, the rebuild is under way a year sooner....

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Forget about the first four, the last is enough to bring him back. But aside from that, no. He had his chance and blew it.

15. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Um ... Fitzpatrick played QB for them last year and they had 10 wins. Using my powers of deduction, that means the Jets ceiling, at the very least, with Fitzpatrick playing QB is 5 games better than they were this year.

16. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

In the first place he played in both seasons, so your conclusion is a non sequitur. One of the big problems with that line of logic lies in that they did not play the same teams with the same rosters in each season. Look, Fitz was signed as a back-up, and when Geno went down, he did a good job in that role last year against a soft schedule. But he's not a starter, and most assuredly not against top-flight competition, as this year proved.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Why would you not want Ryan Fitzpatrick back at vet minimum next year?

It's not like the Jets have better options with the draft lacking premium QB prospects.

I wouldn't pay him more than vet minimum but realistically speaking he's the best QB on the roster right now.

18. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

I would if they had another QB in front of him. He's always been decent coming off the bench as a backup for someone, plus he already knows the system if they keep Gailey around. There are a lot of variables I'd have to see to warrant the decision, depending on the cap situation you may not be able to bring anyone in easily and they really should work on the offensive line in which case if it saved money. If they decided to start Hack and determined Petty was not the answer already then I'd feel more comfortable having him second string and drafting another option.

That said it's not going to happen. Fitzpatrick is proven to quickly learn offenses which makes him a great emergency stop gap QB. Someone will go down somewhere and they'll be willing to pay more than minimum for him, and he knows it. He could have easily ended up on several teams this year had the Jets not signed him.

19. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Hell no.... He owes us around 12 million for the disaster this season became......

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

I hate to say this, but Geno might be the best QB on the roster.

Ron

Br4d likes this.