Would you be OK if Johnsons issued a Play Off Mandate to Joe D (POLL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 14, 2022.

?

Olay with a Playoff mandate or no?

1. I am OK with a Playoff Mandate to Joe D

20.8%
  2. I am NOT OK with a Playoff Mandate to Joe D

69.8%
  3. Undecided

9.4%
  1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

No of course not as playoff mandates are so stupid, especially for this Jets team. With a playoff mandate, what happens if Jets win 9 or 10 games & miss playoffs, yet the team has been infused with young talent and is clearly showing progress? Then what? We fire a GM on the right track cause of some stupid playoff mandate?

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think it will take one more year to make play-offs. We have a lot of draft picks, a lot of top draft picks, but it takes some time for a large rookie class to be close to their potential. In 2023 these talented rookies we will hopefully get with these picks will have a year of experience and can make much bigger difference. Second year players we got in last draft should also should improve, so my play-off target in 2023. Similar to Arizona's rebuild: 3d year after drafting a QB. This year though I do expect drastic improvement, and perhaps double the win total again, but to mandate/expect play-offs is a bit premature in 2022.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

So what are you saying here? I vote a resounding yes to a playoff mandate, and your graphic only exacerbates that imho. Ownership of this franchise has let mediocrity and losing become acceptable as the norm around here. Just look at that chart. There has to be some accountability in Jetland or else we will continue the same pattern seemingly forever. I for one am so sick of going into games with no chance to win or even be competitive. This has to stop now. Its time. If JD is the great GM that everyone thinks and says he is, bringing this team to at least a potential wild card playoff chance next year should be expected. Anything other than that is just rinse and repeat of the last 10 years of frustration.

4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Issuing a playoff mandate also puts himself in a bind because he's telling everyone that he's going to clean house if they don't make the playoffs. And what if the team plays competitive football & doesn't make the playoffs, then what does the owner do? What if the team looks good on paper but has to many injuries to be a playoff team. Then if the owner keeps the same CS & JD, there will be the haters yelling from the rooftops that Johnson isn't a man of his word bla...bla...bla. NO MANDATE PLEASE. Talk to me next year when we should be in contention for the playoffs, & I'll still say NO MANDATE.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I would rather they sold the team to someone who knows anything about football.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Public playoff mandates are stupid.

Private playoff mandates to the GM or HC make more sense but with a team as bad as the Jets you might as well just clean house if you are at that stage. You're going to do it next year if not now and who wants to waste a year?

7. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

First, someone would have to explain to them what these "playoffs" are.

8. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

This makes no sense.

Every offseason, every GM needs to engage in trades and acquisitions in which they trade value not only in this year's team, but in future years as well. You give up a second round pick this year for two seconds next year. You get a free agent this year and give a third round pick next year in exchange. Yes, this year is important, but so is next year and the year after that. The moment you put blinders on and declare this year to be the only one that matters, that's the moment when you start doing dumb things that will hurt the franchise's long-term health. And this is not a franchise that can afford to hurt its long-term health any more than it has already been hurt.

9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

this team is at least 2-3 years from being competitive and with the Bills as they are with a young QB it's going to be really hard to win the division so I don't see the point of setting impossible tasks - if they want rid then just get rid

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If this is true, Douglas should be fired on the spot because he's already had 2-3 years, and that's what it's supposed to take to make even the worst teams competitive. Which would mean Douglas has accomplished nothing in his time here, in which case why should we give him another chance after failing so miserably?

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As a lot have already said, playoff mandates are counterproductive. They lead to desperation moves that hurt the franchise in the long run. Even if the mandate hasn't come from the Johnsons in the past, it has come from the media and the fans, and look where that got us. This team has been a nuclear dump for decades because of shortsighted - and completely blind - decisions. Douglas has a plan for building a long term winning team. He learned the ropes in organizations that had that and he knows how to do it. That said, he's only 3 years (2 FA and drafts) into it, and he wasn't an experienced hand to begin with so there have been some hiccups, but the team is improving even if the record doesn't yet show it. But he does need to hit HRs in this FA and the draft and have the team turn the corner this year. They need to get at least 7-9 wins and be in the hunt at the end. I could also say that Zach needs to show continued growth and prove that he's their FQB, but if they reach the first marker that will show that he's at that level. If they don't reach that level, then Douglas's seat needs to start smoking.

NCJetsfan and westiedog1 like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He's had 2 FA and 2 drafts, and two years saddled with the worst HC in Jets history who wasn't his hire. I get your impatience, but reality argues against much higher expectations than getting to the P.O. next year. I'd say the following year is realistic.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Imagine if he gave his opening press conference and said it would take 6 years before he would field a competitive team

14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The problem is that for two decades the Jets have been beaten down by NE, a franchise that had a pretty good coach and stumbled upon a generationally talented QB that has led them to numerous championships, while Jets successes were few and far between. Therefore the FO philosophy seems to be "well if they can do it, so can we." Every QB we have drafted in the 1st round has carried the burden of "can he be our Tom Brady?" and that includes our current QB. So far this strategy has failed, but there is the hope that Wilson will be the one. However, if he isn't, I would hope the organization abandons the strategy of going back to square one each time a QB doesn't measure up to some preconceived standard and concentrate on putting a competitive team on the field. That should be easy enough to do with veterans and free agents, if for no other reason than to give us fans something to look forward to every Sunday.

15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Why not a Goal... not a mandate. This way the team can continue to be built, execute the schemes and become more competitive weekly. There is nothing wrong with establishing a goal which I am sure already exists for 2022... but not a mandate which is nothing more than a mandatory declaration - which is useless.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

The only 'mandate' should be don't have our pick be in the top five next year.

17. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I vote no. Simply because it's Woody, and we know what will happen. They won't get there and we lose a good GM. A professional search group gets us another Idzik type. Been on that merry go round enough times thank you.

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

We didn't make Yom Kippur.

19. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

There should be much higher expectations but a mandate is unwise.

There are a few situations that could arise in which it’s obvious to everyone that the team is in a really good place but they miss the playoffs for some reason, and then you have a choice:
    -Fire a really good staff just because you want to keep your word, and unnecessarily start over.
    -Keep the staff and then look dumb for not keeping your word.

Just let them play and fire them if it’s not good enough.

Let’s say the Jets are 9-7 and playing the Bills in the week 18 game, it’s the final drive, a Jets TD Wins. Jets just cross the 50 and Michael Carter fumbles. Jets miss playoffs at 9-8. Heartbreaking, yes, but just one of those moments you have to come back stronger from. Would you want to fire the staff in that situation? Most likely not.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is a good analysis of the situation.

One other thing to remember about Belichik is that he coveted extra draft picks until very recently. The Pats averaged a couple of extra picks a year between 2000 and 2010 when they were in the early dynasty phase and leading into the next phase. They had 9+ picks in 14 of the last 21 drafts. They had 9+ picks after trading down from their 1st round pick 4 times over that span.

Belichik understands that you are going to flat out miss on half your draft picks even if you are a good talent evaluator and the only way to fix that issue is to make lots of draft picks.

The Jets on the other hand are cherry-picking losers.