Would Jets Regret Trading Sam. Experts Say Yes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Feb 10, 2021.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

"Darnold, the league's lowest-rated passer (78.6) over the past three seasons combined"

he's a got a mountain to climb just to be an avg. starter.

Vida, nycarl, Ray Lucas and 7 others like this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

"Experts"

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jets69, nycarl, Ray Lucas and 7 others like this.
  4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

now i have to spit out the vomit that came up in my mouth....

boozer32, Ray Lucas, twown and 4 others like this.
  5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

if we get a decent pick or picks for him they won't regret it. He's behind the 8 ball. I do agree his situation has been horrid, but at the same time he has also been horrid. I think we just need to accept he isn't who we had hoped. Because if he was, even in the dumpster situation, we'd have enough glimpses to still say....he's got it. it is possible he can make something of himself elsewhere, but i think a change of scenery is the minimum requirement for him.

6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

One of these "experts" is the same guy who was pounding the table that Sam was the best QB prospect in his draft. Could it be that he just doesn't want to admit how wrong he was?

boozer32, Ray Lucas, PJ4Ever and 4 others like this.
  7. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

The decision may be less about Darnold's competence/potential an more about financial stability. Trade Darnold for a low one or high two if you can, draft a rookie, and reset the contract.

8. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

9. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Experts: Keep it coming. The Jets will totally take on the "regret" for a 1st. Or for Watson. Great work. -Jets fans.

10. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold certainly has played poorly but some of you guys are acting like he hasnt shown any promise, made any plays, shown toughness, make plays with arm and legs etc... There is a reason why after having horrible #s teams are willing to part with a 2nd round pick.
    Sam has the ability under the rt coach/team to have a break out season.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The time for glimpses of good play is over. What makes someone even an average quarterback over a poor one is consistency. Stretches of good games can make you Derek Anderson or Mike Glennon. Relative consistency makes you Kirk Cousins or Andy Dalton and absolute consistency makes you elite.

He lacks consistency and most importantly regressed pretty terribly this past year. That's what I think the big red flag is for a lot of fans.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Not in 2021 he doesn't. Sam has a lot of things to work on/fix. This is not going to be some short, simple fix.

matt robinson 17 and REVISion like this.
  13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I have no idea what these "experts" saw. He hasnt show anything that makes you think hes got that much talent im college or the pros. This is just stupidity at this point. Maybe hell be average in like 3 more seasons but thats not worth 25 mil a year. Hes not walking in this season suddenly better than he was.

Im so over this jets were dysfunctional nonsense. This team had way more talent than people think on offense, no it wasnt the best, but hardly the worst. They lacked consist qb play. That killed anything this team could do.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

matt robinson 17 and REVISion like this.
  14. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

You are correct 29th rated offensive line, and 31st rated WR’s... not the worst!!!

Good thing we had Gore/Bell at RB...

Seriously though I can’t think of one team with less offensive playmaking talent than the Jets...

Our brightest young playmaker was a FA pickup
    - RB Ty Johnson

If they don’t take a WR, TE in this draft I would not be ok with it, nor should anyone else...

They are really bad... no way you can sugar coat it to help bolster your argument how bad our Qb is...

15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Actually i can, the jets had one of the best open wr rates in the league. Look it up. Theyve had it for like 2 seasons.

Crowder was a top wr all season this and last

Perriman was not bad, Mims showed promise

Gore did not play all game all season, Bell was barely there.

If youre dumb enough to look at that and make a conclusion from that, i dunno what to tell you, but what i can say from your quick response, you clearly didnt read what i said.

8 guys in a box all game challenging darnold to beat them. Of course the running game and short passing game struggle. Thats simple science, mass taking up space. When your qb cant find open guys, and runs into thw pressure wtf are you supposed to do? Drop him back and run 20 yard routes?

He sucks period end of story and his poor play hindered the team.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

16. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Well I will say it’s nice to see an optimistic fan.

From your perspective -

The Jets have one the best WR groups in the league (for the last few years) as they are always open...

Their RB’s were solid (because Gore and Bell never played).

Oline is good (Because after all the WR’s are
    always open).

The one and only problem is the Qb.

And yet most experts,ex-coaches,ex-players, etc are all are saying the exact opposite.

Very interesting...

#16 SoylentGreen, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

So did Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, and anybody else not named Hackenberg...

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

That's not what he's saying, he's just saying the surrounding talent was better than people gave it credit for being. When you have a terrible QB no WR is going to put up big numbers. QB's make the WR's more than the other way around. I think we can all recall numerous instances from this past season where WR's were wide open and Sam either didn't see them at all or sailed a pass over their heads.

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I do agree with this. The being said, there’s a 0% chance I’d be keeping him if I was the GM. Let’s see what JD does.

azhar80 likes this.
  20. JetsCuseYanksFan

“Actually i can, the jets had one of the best open wr rates in the league. Look it up. Theyve had it for like 2 seasons.”

The funniest part of this debate is that it really says Gase has a good offensive mind, and deserves the interest he is getting as an offensive assistant.

For the record, it was a combination of factors. But the nail in the coffin for me, was Darnold’s stats in a clean pocket, he had one of the worst completion percentages in the league.

“Per Pro Football Focus, from a clean pocket, Darnold ranked 30th in the NFL in accurate-pass percentage (56 percent) this season.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REVISion likes this.