Would 4-12 with Clemens be a disaster or first step?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Jul 23, 2006.

1. highflyer

highflyer Active Member

Meh I don't really have much of an opinon on this as I haven't been following NFL long so I don't know what usually happens when you throw a rookie in straight up. I wouldn't mind seeing Clemens in action though, just not at the start of the season

2. I dont understand why a team that is rebuilding from top to bottom going 4-12 would be a disaster. This is a team not only rebuilding personnel wise, but also in terms of the front office. We have a rookie head coach, rookie coordinators and many first time assistants. Winning is going to take time. Anything more than 6 wins is unrealistic

3. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

A lot depends on the development of our offensive line. The last thing you want to do is shove Clemens in there and get him killed. Think about the other Manning - Archie, and what that did to his career?

I would not be surprised to see Clemens the starter by the later stages of the season - but doubt he'd get the call opening week.

4. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

you honestly think 7-9 is unrealistic?? damn the bar is really that low this year i guess....i'm just hoping for the best

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think 7-9 is unrealistic unless the Jets get lucky with Chad and Curtis having decent seasons and a bunch of rookies managing to play fairly well in their first chance in the NFL.

My point on the original post was that we have virtually no chance to be really competitive this year. Given that reality I'd much rather get Kellen Clemens a bunch of starts under his belt and some real field experience.

I really could care less about the difference between 7-9 and 4-12 if the price is that we watch our QB of the future sit on the bench all year. We have to replace Curtis at the end of the year anyway and I'd rather not see us be inexperienced at both QB and RB headed into next year. If we have inexperience at both spots then next year is guaranteed to be a rebuilding year also.

6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

which is precisely why I have posted several times that real rebuilding includes looking at other RBs instead of a 33 year old coming off major knee surgery

7. What is this grudge against C mart you have?

As I have previously stated. This is a transition year for this offense and overall for this team. When you build a new offense, a franchise RB is one of the last pieces you add. We are quite far from having our last piece. We just set a foundation for a quality OL, and we possibly added a future franchise QB.

W/ that said, I can think of alot worse things than having a future hall of famer, smart veteran w/ great leadership skills helping us learn a new scheme at the RB position.

W/ the situation at WR, the young OL, the uncertainty at QB, and the emergence of a completely new offensive philosophy...we aren't gonna score alot of points regardless. We might as well have a guy who has done alot of good for this franchise, who can set example for the younger guys to follow.

Yes Washington and Houston show promise as future players for this team. But neither are feature backs, and both are still very much raw. We might as well keep C Mart where he is at and let the young guys share carries w/ him.

8. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

It is hard for me to believe that starting Clemens this year is a good idea. The one good thing about Ramsey is that he can take a literal beating. While this new OL is getting it together they can keep the practice dummy in there (unless Penny can actually play) and let him take the pounding he's going to. Why throw a rookie to the wolves? I think you only do that when your OL is going to be at least mediocre. And I'm not sure ours is going to be yet. If we are lucky, by mid-year we will see some improvement.

9. azjet

azjet New Member

Depends if he gets the 1st down before he goes out of bounds.

10. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

4-12 with clemens would be one awful season.

11. njjet

njjet Member

Bollinger should be given every chance to become the starting QB. He did a remarkable job last year under adverse circumstances. He had no OL; no deep threat, our starting TE was injured and the other two were useless plus our two best RB were injured,. BB mobility kept us in many games. Yes, he only won 2 games but tell me what QB could have done better?

I think it would be a colossal mistake to start Clemens!!!!! :jets:

12. parafly

parafly New Member

Good point. Everything I have read this offseason says that Bollinger is the "odd man out." I really don't think Mangini sees it this way. I saw noticable maturation on Bollinger's part with each start he had last season, and I think he will be given a legitamite chance to prove himself.

If anything, I would rather see Bollinger start the season over Clemens. Maybe Bollinger could be Clemen's backup in future seasons?

13. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Clemens can not be allowed to start until the o-line has time to work together. We should not risk our Qb of the future when we have no chance of winning this year anyway. Let the o-line gel then throw the kid in around week 10. Can somebody please tell me the urgency in letting him play now and risk an injury because our line is not ready to protect him yet.

14. WesleyWuzTheMan

WesleyWuzTheMan New Member

I totally agree. I see Bolly as the best QB on the team coming into the season. He's very mobile, and while he did get sacked a lot last season, he was improving with every game behind a busted O-line and only a raw RB to hand off to. You have to give Chad a shot behind center to start the season, but after he suffers that season-ending injury on the third or fourth play, then BB would be the go-to guy for me.

15. minexdy1013

minexdy1013 New Member

You guys could have had Charlie Whitehurst or Brodie Croyle? Are you guys happy with Clemens so far?

16. parafly

parafly New Member

Too early to tell. We haven't even seen one snap in TC or preseason yet.

17. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Any 4-12 season would be a disaster. In this day and age in the NFL any team can compete on any given Sunday. I'm not saying we should fire Mangini and gut the team if we miss the playoffs but there's no excuse for not being competitive.

Just as Herm Edwards had to answer for having an awful season with the most physically crippled team in football last season, Mangini will have to answer for having an awful season with a young, inexperienced team if it comes to that.

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

He'll get a pass if the Jets are 4-12 this season.

However, I will need to see them competitive in 2007 or I will be upset.

19. parafly

parafly New Member

I don't think the NY media would give a pass to anyone for a 4-12 season no matter what the circumstances. Woody on the other hand will definitely give him a pass. Whether the fans give him a pass or not is yet to be determined.

20. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

we haven't seen much of anything yet, except hype, but I am happy with Clemens