Worst stretch as a Jets fan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rockyusmc2003, Dec 19, 2021.

1. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

You got that right. The quicker Douglas comes to terms with that, the quicker this rebuild can truly begin.

2. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

This forum IS the support group, and we're every bit as dysfunctional as the team.

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I think this year sets the record for longest Jets playoff drought in their history.

This franchise is and pretty much always has been trash save for a few outlier seasons here and there.

Jets1035 and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think this stretch is worse than the 70's by a smidge.

I was very young for the 70's stretch and it took me like 4 seasons of watching to figure out that Joe Namath was no longer Joe Namath and the Jets stunk. Then immediately after that they drafted Richard Todd and he really stunk for awhile.

SOJAZ and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  5. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Late 80s to Parcells arrival in 97 was a very bad stretch. I don’t know if we had been a true laughingstock in the 70s, but we def became one in the 90s. Fake spike, draft day embarrassments, Kotite, etc.

But I do think we’ve achieved new levels of buffoonery lately.

Br4d and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  6. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

True, late 80s into early 90s they were a "meddling" team. We had that one playoff game in 91 where Moon beat them, and then Parcells. That stretch sucked and felt longer than it was, but somehow this one is longer. Feels odd.

Edit - Even odder, sans the Superbowl decade, the 2000s were probably the best.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  7. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

But even then they were a joke of an organization. To my brief list of fuck-ups and failure above, I should have added the infamous and oh so classy Pete Carroll premature choke sign

Jets81 and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  8. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I've been a fan since the 90s and this has been the worst stretch, yes the team has been bad for awhile, but I don't remember such a lack of talent across the roster.

There's literally no one that's even worth watching on this roster. Maybe Moore and Carter as they mature?

On defense, our best players are solid at best defensive lineman.

There's no Curtis Martin, Mangold, Brandon Marshall on offense, Revis, Abraham types on defense,

If all the young guys take a step forward next year and we hit homeruns this offseason it could change, but right now....things are rough

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  9. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

No question about it. I'm too young to remember the ineptitude of the 70s where we went 11 or 12 years without a playoff berth. But since i started as a devout fan in 1981, inconsistency has been the issue. Couple of bad years, a playoff spot, blow a few games SOJ, a couple of strong stretches, a few horrible stretches - but never THIS bad for THIS long.

Like you, I used to have my whole week ruined with a loss, certainly couldn't console me on Sunday. Now, I just laugh at times, shake my head in pity at times, and realize that in the rare instances where they get me excited it's mostly because they look competent and I'm not used to that, like a ghost of feelings past, than it is any any real expectations.

It's been so long since the team was competent enough to ignite that passion with any consistency. Over a decade without the playoffs, a half decade of knowing the season was over by late September/early October - confusion about whether to be happy when they win late in the season or sad they fucked their draft position - only to realize that the draft is a wasteland anyway so it doesn't even matter.

It's spirit-killing.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Brook!, Br4d, RPOZ51 and 2 others like this.
  10. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

Was 12 when they won the super bowl, the 70s stretch was rough but this last run has given the feeling of hopelessness, the toughest part of this is the last four coaches after loss after loss acting like their were good things that happened in the loss and we really practiced well.

papapump, Centiment and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  11. rockyusmc2003

That pretty much sums me up these days as well. Sundays are almost always a foregone conclusion by halftime, if not I get to watch things fall apart in the 2nd half and delay the inevitable for an extra hour or so. On the bright side, we're not mad all week!

RPOZ51 likes this.
  12. rockyusmc2003

Maybe they should be practicing the basics before they get into a weekly game plan.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Wilson and Saleh aren't the answer, no way should Douglas get another chance to screw it up. If anything, Saleh deserves a shot with a different GM more than Douglas does with a different coach. At least Saleh's defenses in SF were pretty decent when he had good players to work with. We have no idea what if anything Douglas was doing in Philly other than what the media told us, which we have no way to verify is accurate.

14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Stink. Stank. Stunk!

[​IMG]

NY Jets68, rockyusmc2003 and Br4d like this.
  15. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

This sums it all up, right there.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yep, at least in the 90s I was going to college in NE FL, before every bar had the NFL ticket, and I had a job on the weekends..... I was a 21 year old that was much more interested in surfing, partying, chasing girls, school, than watching the JETS suck.... It was quite easy for me to ignore them

#36 stinkyB, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    Losmeister, Noam and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  17. rockyusmc2003

Wow, I forgot all about this!

sozopol likes this.
  18. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

This is a perfectly accurate post from my POV.

Stay away from sources/reminders. Live your life.

Noam likes this.
  19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Honestly I think my worst stretch was 1986 until Parcells. I became a fan in 1986 and watched them totally implode the past 5 games of that year and then in the playoffs. I thought Ken O'Brien was going to be one of the greats and he turned out to be a two year wonder. He just blew after 1986 and was really terrible in the second half of that year. I know people have a fondness for him, but let's be real. He fucking blew.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The past 50 years has been the worst stretch from my POV - a few "teaser" years mixed in, but overall a rudderless ship steered by fools. I'm putting my last hope into Douglas and Saleh, but I'll probably just get disappointed again.