Worst Draft Ever

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dr. Christian Troy, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

McFadden was wined and dined because there was a legit chance he could have dropped to us. and if he did, then they'd probably take him. but it wasn't like we needed McFadden because our current stable of RB's sucks.

what exactly is half-empty at CB?
    Revis/Miller/Barrett/Coleman/Lowery/(Poteat?)
    this group isn't exceptional, especially since we don't know what we've got in both Miller and Lowery - and Lord knows I hate Barrett - but we're not short on players here.

i don't see how the Keller pick is so bad. we needed an Offensive playmaker and we got that. the guy is basically a hybrid TE/WR. we need him to gain yards and score points; he doesn't do that by blocking. the TE position is evolving into TE's who are playmakers. we got the best one in the draft. what's to complain about?

the pass rush AND the run D were horried. we improved the pass rush with guys like Pace and Gholston. we hopefully improved the run D with Jenkins. what else would you have done to improve these areas?

2. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

If you take any draft between 1985-1995, we were getting, at best, 1 useful player per year. Not 1 good player, I mean 1 guy who played. Any one between 85-95 (except 93) was almost complete garbage. Here's my personal favorite.

1990 - New York Jets
    Rd Sel # Player Position School
    1 2 Blair Thomas RB Penn State
    2 28 Reggie Rembert WR West Virginia
    3 56 Tony Stargell DB Tennessee State
    4 84 Troy Taylor QB California
    5 112 Tony Savage NT Washington State
    5 134 Robert McWright -- Texas Christian
    6 140 Terance Mathis WR New Mexico
    7 167 Dwayne White G Alcorn State
    7 168 Basil Proctor -- West Virginia
    8 196 Roger Duffy G Penn State
    9 223 Dale Dawkins WR Miami (Fla.)
    10 251 Brad Quast LB Iowa
    11 279 Derrick Kelson DB Purdue
    12 306 Darrell Davis DE Texas Christian

Only time will tell, but I'll bet this year will turn out better than that.

3. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

you are a fucking moron, have you ever heard of smoke screens [the reason for wining and dining] we get a guy who had 24 sacks in 24 games in a tough big 10 conference and your still bitching, tangini has drafted great there first 2 seasons, your a genius so you should know who those players are, but in case your dumb fucking ass doesnt, heres a reminder, two starting offensive linemen, a starting qb, l.washington, and b.smith in there first year, second year, a stud cb, and a stud lb, so what makes you think they dont know what there doing?

dont get me wrong this a fan site and we all post our opinions on here, but who the fuck are you? a cook? a salesman? do you work in an office? whatever you do for a living it obviously has NOTHING to do w/the nfl, i am a jets/mets fan like yourself and i dont normaly blast fans of my favorite teams, but your just fucking STUPID!!!

4. Dr. Christian Troy

Dr. Christian Troy New Member

Fine. 2nd Worst Draft Ever.
    Troy Taylor:rofl:

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

That is why we as Jets fans are afraid of returning to the Coslet, Carroll, Koties years that resulted in part from those horrible drafts.

6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

1986 was worse than 1990

7. FlashGordon

Another gem:

1986 - New York Jets
    Rd Sel # Player Position School
    1 22 Mike Haight G Iowa
    2 49 Doug Williams T Texas A&M
    3 79 Tim Crawford LB Texas Tech
    4 105 Rogers Alexander LB Penn State
    5 132 Ron Hadley LB Washington
    7 189 Bob White C Rhode Island
    8 215 Robert Ducksworth DB Southern Mississippi
    9 245 Nuu Faaola RB Hawaii
    10 272 Carl Carr LB North Carolina
    11 299 Vince Amoia -- Arizona State
    12 328 Sal Cesario T Cal Poly-S.L.O.

8. Dr. Christian Troy

I'm a plastic surgeon. And you'd be surprised how many employees of the nfl go under the knife. Employees' friends & families too.

If they knew what they were doing, they would have changed THEIR philosophy to utilize the talent they had in Vilma. And why weren't we ever given the opportunity to see Vilma AND Harris in the middle of a 3-4? THAT was something I was looking forward to next year. Seeing a "healthy" Vilma in the last year of a contract play next to the guy who was taking his job before his eyes. Could've been something to see at least but these guys are "geniuses" so what do I know?
    Mangold was a great pick, but after two seasons I thought I would have felt more confident about D'Brickashaw. I still don't. Kellen Clemens is average and undersized, with a cannon arm and perhaps a noodle brain. That's right, I'm saying he has a bewildered look in his eyes that i'm not sure is coming from upstairs. What was HIS score on the wunderlic?
    Little Leon is a situational back, an overachiever and a workhorse. But he's never going to be great. Very good, max.
    As far as Brad Smith is concerned, has our team figured out what the hell to do with him? You know more than me.
    Revis was great. So was Harris. I hope that trend continues.
    Not long ago, Jonathan Vilma was Defensive Rookie of the Year.
    Go figure. But I guess we're only entitle to beginner's luck once in a while, huh tough guy?
    When you take off the rose-colored glasses and actually look at the team, it is a desperate team who's sole priority is to beat the Patriots in every arena they can. There are 30 other teams we need to consider whenever we make our decisions. Vernon Gholston, the BPA was a reactionary pick because the PAts wanted him...not a necessity pick. Somewhere, I'm sure there was a trade that wasn't entertained from another team looking to move up for him.

9. Dr. Christian Troy

I don't play fantasy football because i'm too much of a Jets fan. In a million years I could never cheer for a player on another team in any scenario. I like to gamble but I find a million other ways to do it without fantasy anything.
    Leon Washington and Thomas Jones are nice players. But McFadden is a star. Two different universes altogether.
    Chad sucks. Kellen sucks. I would've signed Daunte Culpepper as a third stringer before I drafted another backup qb.

10. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Ahhh... for those who don't know, a kansas city strip steak is a strip steak with the bone in. It's absolutely devastating, especially in Chicago -- as if that makes any sense.

Those ESPN fools suck, they just need drama to rile people up.

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Hey Terrance Mathis went on to have some great years (with Atlanta) but hey we get credit for drafting him right?

12. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Ill admit last year i was like that was the worst draft ever etc... but the words came back to bite me in the rear... we got to solid players in harris and Revis....so this years approach is wait til the season starts before you cast stones...

As far as the Ainge QB I thought it was a smart move because in the worst case scenario he will be a third string QB they are gonna get rid of chad and we will draft another QB next year so kellen Ainge and who ever..

with gholston we have a strong front seven now i think hell be an upgrade over hobson for sure... its like we are never happy if we turn around and make a strong playoff fun or a superbowl victory then we will look like heroes

13. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Quack Quack Quack Mr Ducksworth....... wasn't Ducksowrth the butler in Ducktales?

BTW does Cal Poly San Luis Obispo still have a football team or did they go the way of Long Beach St and Pacific?

14. Y4NK335

Y4NK335 Member

Can you be anymore positive?

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I agree, I'm not a Gholston Fan, but he was the BPA at #6. I have no problem with Keller, great player, I would have waited it out and not give up a 4th. Not addressing ILB was a mistake, Barton isn't the answer. I wanted Goff, McClain or even Leman as a last case scenario.

16. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

Why is this so personal? Do you know this guy? This is USA...he should be allowed to express his opinion. If you don't agree..then come up with reasons why he's wrong. But to take it to the "you're fucking moron", makes you look like a "fucking moron" It makes you stupid because you don't have the vocabulary to come up with reasons why he's wrong. Fan sites should be a place where fans exchange ideas and debate what's right and what's wrong. Not to be verbally assaulted by people who are just fans, not anyone who has never been a NFL executive who makes personnel decisions.

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Dwayne White looked really good for a couple years, too bad he fizzled out quickly.

Also Blair Thomas didn't look so bad until he fumbled against the Bears on Monday Night Football. He was never the same after that.

18. FlashGordon

Yes, he was one servicable player out of fourteen. That's just about the rate we were hitting for those ten years.

19. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

this is such a stupid thread on so many levels I don't know where to start.

20. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with you there Doc. As the Giants proved, a strong pash rush is the key to beating a versatile offense such as New England's. Just because the Jets signed Pace, doesn't mean they didn't need Gholston as well.

The thing that disappointed me was that the team speed on the offensive side wasn't addressed. Why do you pick a TE when you had two pretty good tight ends, when you could have either Sweed, Devin Thomas or Malcolm Kelly? Is it Schottenheimer's plan to make the TE position a weapon this year? I didn't get that pick at all. I can believe how much faith they have in Brad Smith. If he doesn't emerge this season, Tangini will look like fools. I laso thought they were going to get another interior D-lineman. With Robertson, IMO they are kind of weak there. Yes Kris Jenkins will help, but a younger defensive tackle also could have helped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.