Worst Draft Ever

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dr. Christian Troy, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

As I want the Jets to succeed I hope I am wrong but I still think we could have done more to address the CB position.

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

CBs will lose coverage if your defense cannot get to the Quarterback, even the best CB can hold coverage for 8-10 seconds. Now that the team has made attempts to get guys who can get the QB stress comes away from CBs necessity to hold coverage, IMO.

3. James Hasty

Fair enough but I jave more trouble justifying Keller than Gholsten. Even using # 6 on Gholsten left all but two CBs available to us if we traded up as far as # 25. #2 CB is a weakness for us that needs to be addressed before we can make a serious SB run. There were many opportunitis in this draft to address this need better than we did.

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I think a quote from Bill Polian sums up most of the negativity around here lately.

?The quarterback wasn't the problem on Sunday. You don't know football well enough to know where to place the blame.? -Bill Polian

Its good to know that are fans are so damn smart we can project failure after drafting players we have seen little to none of and have no idea of how they will be implemented.

5. kennyo07

kennyo07 New Member

I personally think the draft was great.

Gholston - will be a pro bowler and combined with Pace, B Thomas S Ellis I can see us being top 5 easily in sacks this year. Throw in a few safety blitzes and this def is gonna be really fast and fun to watch.

Keller - our draft room had him higher than D Thomas or any WR for that matter. The guy has 4.5 speed and size....that is a sweet combo and a nightmare for opposing LB's. Opposing Def will have to gameplan for Keller giving Coles, Cothery and WR #3 (Stucky, B Smith or Marcus Henry) more open looks. I love this pick, will help out Chad or Kellen tremendously as we now have 3 serious pass weapons in addition to our solid running game. Keller is athletic, fast, big and a pure weapon on offense....at the TE spot.

Lowery - a great pick for a big need at CB. Lets see him jump in at #2. Looked very good in coverage and has great size. Remember if we have our LB's and D line putting consistent pressure on the QB Lowery will more than suffice.

Ainge - another great pick and was ranked by Kiper a lot higher than some QB's that went before him. A great QB 3 and a hedge in case Clemens does not pan out for 2009. Awesome awesome value pick in the 5th. This guy has great size and went to a top school in Tennessee with great coaches.

Henry - finally a big reciever ala Keyshawn. I am hoping he makes our #3 WR spot. Came from a good Kansas program and had a great senior year. A serious red zone threat at 6'4'' with the fade route. Another great option for this offense to help the pass game.

Garner - OL depth, what else can you say, you always need this.

Going in we needed a pass rusher, CB, WR OL. I give the draft an A. Our def got a sack machine, a CB #2 going forward. Our offense got a and super athletic TE/WR and the potential answer to WR 3. Like I said Chad or Kelen has to be happy with the new weapons from the draft and free agency.

6. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I probably just shouldn't post again today and just quote what you said because that sums up my thoughts to a T. The "experts" probably aren't going to be thrilled but I think we did a great job this weekend.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

we did we added a pass rushing beast.you could have deion sanders and darrell green in the backfield and it wouldn't mean ish if your giving brady time to balance his checkbook before he makes a pass.pressure on the qb will improve the secondary big time

8. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Probably the best post of this thread besides "go fuck yourself, asshole"

Our secondary was the best part of our team last year, and the additions to the front 7 will immensely improve their chances on making plays. Last year the only contact opposing QB's had with our guys is shaking hands after the games. Now that those QBs will have some pressure on them, there are more pressing needs for our team rather than the best CB out there that some fans want every damn year.

Turn your attention to our anemic offense, that, if you watched any games last year, pitter pattered around until most drives died out before reaching the red zone. Electric TE/WR speedster, tall WR, QB back-up because God knows Tui needs to get off the team, he couldn't even make it in Oakland, O-Line depth (but according to some we should just forfeit the 7th instead of try and pick up a decent player, because no one can be good from the 7th), no "home-run" threat Darren Fumbles McFather, that would have sucked. We have 3 good RBs already.

We probably did a pretty good job today.

9. JetsLookingforDWare

Great quote.

Fans should read and try to understand that stuff more often, but instead choose the simple "ZOMG it's the QB" route.

10. James Hasty

If Jets fans can't tell which players will fail, it would be extremely arrogant of them to claim they know which players will succeed. The call for censorship of draft discussion prior to the start of the season is ridiculous. If you disagree with other fans, prove them wrong. We may not work in the NFL but 31 other GMs that chose differnet players from the Jets do work in the NFL. Do you think that just because the Jets chose a player that all of the other 31 GMs are automatically wrong for not moving into a position to beat them to it?

Many of these players played on games that were broadcast on national TV. We saw them play, we read various scouting reports on them, and we formed our opinions as to the likelyhood that they would succeed. If your only arguement is that the players haven't suited up yet then I would say that the other fans may be more informed than you are and that you are the last person that should be telling them to shut up.

If you are upset because you are expect everyone to have rose colored sunglasses don't open threads labeled "worst draft ever".

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Maybe there were other options in the 4th round but after seeing and reading what Keller does I'd not trade that pick for the world. A lareg part of our probelm was we did not have a red zone target and well we now have a red zone in Keller who should be open quite a bit inside the 20 yard line.

I like the Lowery pick, the kid is a playmaker. Obvisously he has knocks but you name me a player drafted in the 4th round that doesn't have something negative in his profile.

Drafting Mckelvin would have been great but that wouldn't address our issue with lack of a pass rush. With Gholston and Pace on the outside we shouldn't have much of an issue with that any more.

12. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

if you think this is the worst draft ever you are smoking crack

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I'm with you my man. Although I would have liked to address the offense more significantly with a WR, based on how all the top WRs plummeted, I am okay with taking the best TE in the draft. If this guy has the potential to perform like Winslow or Clarke I would be absolutely thrilled.

I'm under the impression the F.O. is comfortable with the offensive acquisitions. You guys have to remember this is all trial and error from here on out. We got the guys to fix the gaping hole in the Dam. Now the dam is mostly repaired the team can afford to fill in the cracks next year.

I'm thinking Chad will be traded to the Bears since they didn't get a QB with their 90 picks.

14. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

gholston was our guy from the begining, it was him or chris long, there was no chance of mcfadden ever comin here. mock drafts had him fallin to us and got everyone excited..WERE NOT A TEAM TO PICK BEST AVAILABLE...WE NEEDED A FUCKIN PASS RUSHER AND WE GOT THE BEST ONE>>>AND NOONE IS HAPPY ABOUT IT..WHAT THE FUCK!!!!

15. James Hasty

With Pace and Thomas I am not sure how much we were lacking in a pass rush. A year eariler they thought Thomas was worth thay big extension. With Jenkins and Pace on board they could have given Thomas a year before trying to replace him. I think the pick had more to do with the value that the FO placed on Gholsten. He was the impact player that they wanted and our CB position was not their priority.

16. Dr. Christian Troy

Dr. Christian Troy New Member

No one's convinced me otherwise.
    Yes, still worst draft ever.
    If you can call it a good draft without ever seeing one of these players in the NFL, then by the same reasoning I can call it a bad draft.

Our QB situation...still sucks.
    FO has such confidence in our roster of RBs which is why Run DMC was wined/dined so hard.
    CB situation is still half-empty. Literally.
    The TE pick has to be one of the worst draft picks in the history of the Jets. Even if he's a great player...we need a TE who can block. It was completely unnecessary to pick a TE that high.

Everyone talks about our pass rush being a huge problem last year but...how 'bout that dreadful run defense they've fielded for two, three seasons now. Obviously, the weakest link in that system is in Denver, but is Kerry Jenkins REALLY enough to say we settled all of our Run D problems?
    And as far as Gholston is concerned, did we really need him or did we really need to take the player the Pats wanted? I think it's the latter.

As for the "Worst Thread Ever" posts..that's really unfair. There are at least one or two worse than this.
    As for the "Fuck You Asshole" posts, I appreciate the short and sweet posts most. They get right to the point and really speak volumes about their owners.

Again, worst draft ever. Sorry Kyle Brady. You're off the hook.

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Don't sell yourself short my man, this is the worst thread ever. With the amount of bad threads on this board that is something to be proud of, i guess.

18. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

dr christion.. did we really need mcfadden? no! we have jones and leo
    did we really need any of those qbs? NO! we have chad and clemens
    did we really need a pass rush OR A 3-4 linebacker...YEA...WE HAVE PACE AND FUCKIN THOMAS....AND HIS NAME IS KRIS JENKINS, NOT KERRY..YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKIN BOUT...GO PICK MCFADDEN, OR RYAN IN YOUR FANTASY

19. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Troy, I though Doctors were supposed to be smart...stick to medicine bud, your much better at it.

Jeez, if the NYJ forum is a sign of things to come, im taking a good 3 months off.

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I kind of agree that if Winslow dropped to us instead of being picked by SD he probably is a bust at Hempstead instead of getting a bust at Canton. It worked out okay because instead of ruining another HOF TE we got a pretty good player in Marty Lyons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.