Worst-Case Tackle Scenarios

Discussion in 'Draft' started by joelip, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t know, when your not working hard before you get paid I’d have grave concerns about what happens when he gets paid.

Just doesn’t seem to be what we’ve all heard JD is looking for. I’d take the 3 OTs and 3 WRs over him and would prefer a trade down and select a Jones or Cleveland over Becton at 11.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He did work hard in 2019. I think not working hard in 2018 was either due to youthful immaturity or perhaps not being happy with his HC.

Still I understand your reticence about him. I would be equally happy with a trade down, taking Jones/Cleveland and getting an additional pick or picks. My only problem with that is that I think Becton could step in and start day one and play at a pretty high level, although he will struggle some. I don't think that Jones or Cleveland will be able to start even later in their rookie season, much less day one. Unless Douglas plans on signing Peters or re-signing Beacham, that's not gonna help us in 2020. Jones is raw and needs a lot of technique work, and Cleveland needs to get a lot stronger. I think it will be 2021 at the earliest before either is able/ready to start and play at a high level.

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I get that and I do hope it works out for him, he seems like a good kid. Good for him that he seems to have taken it more seriously this past year, I just can’t get all warm and fuzzy knowing he turned it on with millions of dollars on the line. It could be that a lightbulb finally went on for him and he’s turned the corner or it could be that he reverts to past laziness once he gets paid. I would hope JD has a better idea of which one than you or I have.

I just don’t see Becton as being the type of player that JD has described he’s looking for.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

I love and hate players like Becton coming out of college. It's tantalizing to think what he could do in a Jets uniform if he puts it all together, but the red flags are too much to ignore. Glad I don't have to make this decision

The issues regarding motivation and discipline. the recent news regarding the drug test. His weight possibly getting out of control. Will he harness these rare talents and become what he can become (which is a great All Pro player) My gut is telling me no. But if Douglas drafts him I'm going to trust our GM. So far he's shown he knows what he's doing

#64 JetsAreBadForYourHealth, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I have an uneasy felling about Becton with no basis or proof whatsoever to back it up, but I’m not convinced he is the “tough grinder, give it all you got” JD type of player worth the high pick. A man that eats and breaths football, trains hard and plays harder every snap.
    I just don’t want the nightmare of getting an OL version of Mo Wilkerson type of player with some flashes here and there but no real commitment to the game.

#65 LAJet, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  6. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

exactly. And are the Jets really in a position where they can take that risk? We're not. If we're taking an offensive lineman here...who's the best possible player that can step in and start right away, play well, and fits the culture that Douglas wants to build? Probably not Becton

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

and

and

and

I hear you. You make excellent points, and I can't help but agree with you. Like you, I'm going to trust Joe Douglas until he proves that I shouldn't.

I think you're probably right that Douglas wouldn't go with Becton. I'm almost certain that Wirfs and Wills will be gone, and Thomas just isn't a good fit.

I have truly believed that the Jets needed to come out of this draft with a star player on offense. That's why I have been leaning towards Becton, Lamb and Jeudy. As much as I still want an offensive star, I now think that is probably not in the best interest unless a player Joe takes winds up being a star anyway. I have been averse to trading down because I didn't want to miss out on one of the best players in the draft, but I now want to trade down and take one of Jones and Cleveland in the first round. I truly think we have to come out of this draft with another OT, and at this point, I think those two are the most logical. Hopefully, trading down will also give us an additional 2nd round pick, but if not, it should give us another 3rd round pick. With the 4 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I would then hope that Douglas would add another OL, 2 WRs and an Edge Rusher. I'm hoping that he signs Ryan, and therefore either won't draft a CB or will wait until the 5th or 6th round. I'd like for him to take a QB, a RB or WR Gadget-type player who returns punts/kicks, and then either a P, K, another OL, or another WR.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.