Word on the street: potential candidates won't be considered unless they keep Rex

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TheJetChase, Jan 4, 2013.

1. TheJetChase

TheJetChase Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/19771/the-jets-next-gm-is

2. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Oh right, the Rooney Rule, that racist bit of PC bull**** designed to appease Al Charlatan and Jesse Jackass.

Forgot about that....wouldn't want to violate the Rooney Rule while our team is in the crapper.

3. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Marc Ross is a good candidate...It's not like he's completely unqualified.

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Once I got to " hiring Heckert would defy logic" I knew he was our guy.

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Relax man, if it were no for the Rooney rule Mike Tomlin does not show how good of a HC he could be, he was interviewed by the Steelers had a great interview and the rest is history. We may not like the rules in place but some are there to eliminate stereotypes.

To get back on topic, a GM is asked by his future employer to do one thing just keep the coach for one year, its a mulligan. As longs as both sides make it clear that the GM has the ability to fire him after one year if he does not like the results so be it.

I don't like that Rex was not fired either but the team had troubles on offense, its not like the whole team was a disaster, I don't think that's unreasonable. It probably says a lot about a GM if he is willing to do one thing in what may be a 5 year tenure.

6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Somebody needs to Tatoo this article on the face of Jets fans who still want Rex fired and still think he might be fired, Get over it Rex is coming back no matter what

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You're saying that if it weren't for the Rooney Rule, named after the owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Pittburgh Steelers would never have given Tomlin a chance?

How stupid is that?

8. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

haha yeh the steelers have always been down

but while that may have been wrong, you are crazy if you think that before the rooney rule black coaches were getting a fair shot. considering the amount of high level players who are black, it seems a little odd that more havent gone into coaching. once the rule went in place, according to a google search, the numbers jumped from 6% to 22%. quite a large leap.

rules like this arent in place to force anything onto anyone, unless the person is a bigot. in which case, yeh, you are being forced, because the rules were written specifically to stop people like that.

9. PearsonJones

PearsonJones New Member

now, this is about hiring the best person available.

I don't see why colour should come into it.

If the Jets interviewed 5 black candidates because they were the best 5 interested, would they have to interview one white person too? just because he's white? why should it matter about their skin colour!

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Save the Rooney Rule argument for another conversation. Ross is a great candidate anyway and I hope they hire him.

IMO, why bother with the Rex Ryan stipulation? And for 1 year- how stupid is that? Why limit yourself in a search for a guy to lead this organization in the long-term, for Rex Ryan - in the short term?

If Woody's going to give the keys to this organization to someone, he ought to trust his opinion on head coaching. Tell him he's a fan of Rex and would wish he'd strongly consider him, but ultimately it's his call. It's not like Rex Ryan is Bill Parcells or anything anyway - he's an average NFL HEAD coach.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The fact that these qualified candidates are showing up to interview knowing that is on the table seems to indicate that they're at least willing to listen.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It also means that Woody isn't guaranteeing anything regarding Rex past this upcoming season too. There's probably more than one candidate that can live with Rex for one more year. Its a win/win if you think about it. If Rex somehow turns this around, he gets extended and your job as GM is that much simpler. If Rex doesn't get it turned around, you fire him and bring in your own guy but at least you showed willingness to work with Rex and heed the owner's wishes at the same time.

13. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    Woody should give carte blanche to a new GM and tell him that he wants him to evaluate everyone under contract with the team and keep/fire who he deems worthy of his vision for building the team.

15. akibud

akibud Active Member

As a person who thought Ryan should never have been hired to begin with, and thought he should have been fired for sure last year for incompetence. I am disappointed that he was not fired this past Monday. That said, I don't feel that the team is doomed or really any worse off with him coming back. It will be more of the same, but, hopefully, and surprisingly a SB win next year would make him a God, I could live with that.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Woody sucks as an owner if he's really insisting any new GM accept Ryan as the HC for another year. There he goes again, forcing his own football judgment on someone who is supposed to be running this as a football team.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Agree totally. I expect the super homers here will defend Woody's move here, but I don't see how you can look at it as anything other than a moron owner born into money who bought this team making another football judgment he is unqualified to make.

It also would obviously mean any otherwise qualified GM candidate who does not think it a good idea to bring Ryan back will self select out of this process. Just F'ing great.

18. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

This narrows the GM candidates down to the Gatorade boy on the field and Jerry Sandusky. Woody has already mishandled the GM situation. We will never get a quality front office at this rate.

19. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Why bother? 3 million reasons...

20. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

GM jobs don't come around that often. You think some guy is gonna turn it down because they can't fire Rex for a year? Be real.