Woody's Back!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Acad23, Apr 13, 2021.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Championship!!!

[​IMG]

FJF likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Fair enough. He's definitely a doofus.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Give Woody a break....he only has 17 days left to analyze the draft and decide who he's drafting 2nd overall. A lots at stake!

5. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

6. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

can i just make the call? i mean i do own the team..... i just wanna make the call.

this fucking toolbag

AJW likes this.
  7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

How would you rate Johnson compared to Old Man Hess? It took Leon until he was almost dead to realize he needed a guy like Parcells. For years he didn't even have a general manager. He left it to a glorified accountant.

Woody, as misguided as he is, wants to win. I truly believe that. Hopefully he got it right with JD.

AJW, alleycat9 and azhar80 like this.
  8. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Leon had Namath, and a ring. Woody’s got his brother.

azhar80 and Footballgod214 like this.
  9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I was 2 when the Jets won th SB. For the majority of my life, Leon was the laughingstock owner in the NFL.

Was Leon the sole owner when they won the SB?

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He's the imbecile that hired Gase in the first place. He's also the moron that didn't fire Mac before the draft. To pile on, Chris Johnson actually believed that Gase was "Coaching football to where it's headed". Class A Idiot by any measure..

You don't get credit for cleaning up fck ups you create. Chris Johnson was the WORSE thing to happen to the Jets since the Fake Spike. Great that he FINALLY got his pinhead out of his ass and let football people call shots. Now all CJ and Woody have to do is go on a really long vacation and let the football people clean up the mess CJ created with his stupidity.

Brook!, azhar80 and Since1969 like this.
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Well, we already know our team was crap, and if we have now decided Sam was crap too, what chance did Gase have? What chance did the Jets have? Maybe our team, Sam, AND Gase sucked. Triple whammy! Good going Johnson Twins.

12. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

When I saw "Woody's back" I was going to say I'm happy for you that the erection pills were starting to work.

But then I saw you meant the Jets' owner was back. Never mind.

jixxjr, Brook! and Since1969 like this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You are being inconsistent in your evaluation of Chris. If you think he is an imbecile for hiring Gase, is he a genius for hiring Saleh? JD? Also, he didn't hire Mac. He kept Mac for two years since he took over. I agree, it was too long, but he was a new owner, who inherited a bad situation, and Mac drafted a guy who looked like he may be FQB, so I could see why he held on. It did take him 4 years, but I really believe he turned this franchise around. Finding JD was really great. I feel really good about Saleh's credentials, and we already see numerous FAs citing him as the reason why they signed with the Jets. Changing the structure where coach reports to GM also makes sense.

So, while there is no question Jets continued to suck ass with him as a new first time owner for 4 years, I feel he learned and corrected the mistakes, made good decisions last two years (fired Mac, fired Gase, hired JD, completely entrusted him, hired Saleh, opened check book this offseason, change org structure), and now fundamentally changed the organization for the better. He is no genius to be sure, but to call the guy an absolute imbecile is also a huge exaggeration.

azhar80 likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No, not at all. I'm pretty sure that Harry Wismer, the guy who got Namath; big on ideas but short on cash, had already been in the rearview mirror but Hess was only one of five who had bought the team from him. I'm pretty sure that Sunny Werblin had the largest share but he was the first guy Hess bought out with the support of the others. That was in their championship year but it took until 1984 to buy out the other owners and gain full ownership.

I don't remember the Brits here ever commenting on Woody Johnson or how he was viewed on the other side but I doubt that the average limey knows, or cares, any more about Woody Johnson than we do about Karen Pierce, his counterpart; but I'll bet more of them know his name than Americans who know hers. I can only think of two times he was in the news here - the first was when some charged he was trying to use his office to promote the development of a Trump golf course or two. The second was when he was accused of making some sexist and racially insensitive remarks which seemed to blow over pretty quickly.

AJW likes this.
  15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Nobody even knew he was here. He has as much influence on UK politics as Josh Doctson has had on the WR corps.

Brook!, MoWilkBeast, FJF and 2 others like this.
  16. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

This is oh so true.

Apart from a couple of articles and pictures showing him hosting parties at the US embassy, he got no press at all and was very low profile.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Stopped clocks are right twice a day.. Doesn't mean they work. He had no choice but to fire Gase. JD hired Saleh and Johnson didn't have much of a choice but to green light the hire OR risk a complete and total fan revolt. Again, he FUCKED UP the team during his tenure as CEO. How do you let the new HC talk you into firing the GM BEFORE THE DRAFT??? Answer is simple: gullible idiot.

You can try to make the argument that he corrected his mistakes. I'm making the argument that if he was competent this should have never happened in the first place. In fact, what exactly was in Chris Johnson's resume that qualified him to be the CEO of the NYJ's besides being Woody's brother? Chris and Woody both should not be allowed near the Jets except to sign checks and rubberstamp decisions by JD. If you want to give CJ a mulligan, that's on you. They are what their record says they are.

#37 Cman68, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    abyzmul likes this.
  18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's so true, Woody just turned to Chris and said "want to play with my toy?" and handed the franchise to his brother.

19. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

As with most teams, he was not. He was not a
    competent owner, but hey everybody steps in shot once in awhile.

20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

remember when we all thought oh woody is going away, maybe just maybe he will stay there and not interfere and his brother can make better decisions.

not so much. haha brutal few years.

HomeoftheJets likes this.