Woody's 2024 Draft Philosophy

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WoodyHarrelson, Nov 27, 2023.

1. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

For all the draft junkies here, baby we're back!! The tank is on.

Let me first start by saying I watched two games on Sunday. Giants v Pats and Eagles v Bills. It's so clear just HOW important getting the QB position right is. Furthermore, over 50 QB's have started an NFL game this year which is wild.

I know Aaron will be back and 2024 will be better than 2023, seriously, it can't get worse. But, how much longer he plays is TBD. Tom Brady is clearly the exception and I just can't say A Rod at 40 won't be prone to any more injuries as he has shown these last few years.

In terms of the draft, I can't say we will be in the Caleb/Maye running but we should have first crack at the next set of QB's. We will be picking inside the top 8, maybe even the top 5. At some point we will need to address QB and for the long term. Again, 2024 will be fine but what if Aaron Rogers retires? We can sign a Baker Mayfiield type band aid but what will that truly accomplish?

We won't be picking inside the top 10 if A Rod is giving us a full season so how are we going to address this? Trade multiple first round picks for somebody? The time is now to draft a QB. We HAVE to go QB in Round 1 imo. Furthermore, I would continue to draft QB's in Rounds 3-5 as well and develop. IE Jordan Travis if he falls, etc.

It's pretty clear the top 3 picks will be
    1. Caleb Williams-QB USC
    2. Drake Maye-QB UNC
    3. Marvin Harrison JR-WR OSU

When we traded with the colts, from 6 to 3, we had to give up two second round picks as a reminder. If we can't luck out with Maye, I really think we have two options in round 1.
    1. Draft Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU.
    2. Trade back, recoup picks, and draft Bo Nix/Pennix but I am not a QB scout so not sure how well they translate to the NFL.

Round 3 BPA OL/WR
    Round 4 BPA OL/WR

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Why do you trust this regime to make the correct pick on QB?

You've been pretty harsh on the WMD pick and how it wasn't used to help the 2023 roster. Now you want to take the 2024 first and use it on another player that won't help?

Pass on the QB. Take the OL and draft a developmental guy in R3/R4 and see where you are come 2025.

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

As much as I'd love for them to take a QB in the 1st this year, I just don't see it happening.

Especially with where we'll most likely pick. Williams and Maye will be off the board as they'll probably go 1-2 and those are really the only guys that I'd want to take in the Top 10.

A consolation prize of MHJr, Fashanu, Alt, Nabers, or Odunze is pretty solid though. Any one of those guys would help this offense out tremendously.

4. WoodyHarrelson

I don't but we have no choice. I know they are all fighting for their jobs and expect it to be a OL but if Daniels wins the Hiesiman and impresses the scouts in his workouts, why are we passing on him? What are we going to do in 2025 lol...sign and play Mac Jones?

dawinner127 likes this.
  5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Lets ride with AR in 24 and 25, and figure out the QB spot in 2026. The worst thing in the world would be to draft a QB, this thing implodes in 2024 and the new regime is stuck with a QB they didn't draft.

I am all for throwing darts at developmental guys in 24 and 25

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t be upset with any of the top three in the first. I think Penix played himself out of being a first round pick and I wouldn’t touch McCarthy, Ewers, Nix, etc. in the first.

For the first time we’d be able to sit a QB and let them adjust to life in the NFL, playbooks, routines, the long season, etc.

At the same time I don’t see how we don’t take a tackle or receiver. I also only see Daniels being available where we pick so you’d have to decide if you want to take that risk on a skinny running QB.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  7. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

I don’t see us picking top 3. Our range will be 4-8

If we’re picking 4-8, my choices would be
    1) Fashanu (LT)
    2) Joe Alt (LT)
    3) Brock Bowers (TE)

Fashanu and Joe Alt are franchise tackles. I would love either here. Bowers is the next Travis Kelce with blocking ability. Kid has HOF talent.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  8. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

And Bowers is Georgia's leading receiver with 51 catches for 661 yards and six touchdowns.and this on the No.1 rated team in the country

Get me the Damn Ball likes this.
  9. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

With all due respect, No! How many times shall we repeat the mistakes of shitty teams. How many young quarterbacks must be ruined behind a shitty line?
    1. if Rodgers is back you are not pissing him off.
    2. our line needs work. It will help Rodgers and his eventual replacement. We may have multiple new starters. Becton and Brown are likely to be gone. Tomlinson is at risk as the only cap saver at 8 million. Vera Tucker now has two years of injuries. Anyone for rolling into next year with Warren and Mitchell as OTs?
    3. I have no problem with a developmental QB but it won't be round one.
    4. All young QBs take a little longer to process the game. Build the line to protect Rodgers and reap the benefits when he is retired by not letting the next guy be cannon fodder.

10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

It would be smart for the Jets to draft AR’s replacement and let him sit behind him for 2024 maybe even 2025 if AR stays on. However the OL is in dire need of an infusion so I see the first rounder going in that direction. If the Jets can find a way to get back up into the second round I wouldn’t mind seeing then drafting a guy like Nix or Ewers and letting him sit ….

But OT is the # 1 priority …. you can’t do anything with any QB without a line.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Something tells me that we're drafting the guy whose name looks like penis. It just feels like the next Jets step.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Well considering theyve sucked a big bag of dicks for the last decade, id say that’s appropriate

13. WoodyHarrelson

We could have the best OL in history and Wilson/Boyle would still suck. Draft QB's when your guy is available!!!!!!!!!

Daniels/Pennix, etc.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Daniels scares me. He lit up Grambling State, Army and Georgia State giving an inflated picture of his actual production which has been 'meh' for most his college career