Woody On Michael Kay

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LongIslandBlitz, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Idzik created and encouraged that large percentage when he went into the season without a defensive backfield while tens of millions under the cap.

Jake and rammagen like this.
  2. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

http://nypost.com/2014/04/12/jets-held-focus-group-to-listen-to-fans-complaints/

The decisions are clearly made on what is going to make them the most money no matter if 15% or 30% don't like it. Fans don't stop being fans and therefor don't stop consuming the product.

You're not dumb. Don't pretend that this isn't how professional sports works.

3. geomon

geomon Well-Known Member

Let's be honest, he probably stole the hat.

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I pretend nothing. You'll understand it better if you stop holding professional sports out as something different from any other business. No business wants to alienate 15-50% of its customer base.

5. Faux machine

And yet you ignored examples I have given that directly contradict what you claim to understand so well.

6. Ralebird

What examples, a single 23 person focus group? Do you really think losing consistently would be overlooked if the PSL prices came down? You jumped in the middle here whining about PSL's when my comments were in response to Woody's statement that attributed a 15% following to the Dump Idzik movement. I believe it is substantially higher, but even at 15% is nothing to be ignored.

Perhaps you need to start a PSL thread if that bothers you rather than throwing that red herring against every allusion to dissatisfied fans.

7. Faux machine

Nope. Try to stay on topic. You said no bussiness is successful if it ignores 15% of its base. I gave two examples were the Jets made unpopular moves. Try to be better educated before making claims you can't provide a credible argument for in the future.

8. Ralebird

The topic is Woody's Interview with Kay.
    Woody attributed 15% of Jets fans as backers of the Dump Idzik movement.
    I think it's even higher.
    Do you really think ignoring 15-50% of the customer base is a good business decision?
    He said nothing about PSLs, they are irrelevant to this discussion.
    Try to stay on topic - what Johnson said in his interview with Kay.
    I'll match education, knowledge and experience any time.
    I stand by my statements.

9. Faux machine

My point being, he's ignored 15-50% of the fan base before. Only Woody knows what part of his decision making the billboard people played. I would guess zero, just like he said. See previous examples given that Woody can and does ignore large portions of the fan base.

10. Ralebird

There are no examples of Johnson ignoring any portion of the fan base. Just because he can't make everybody happy at the same time doesn't mean he ignores anyone.

Is this where you were going with your PSL theme? Do you really think there should be no PSLs just because nobody likes to pay for them, and their institution proves Johnson ignored his customers? Are you forgetting that professional sports is business, big business?

11. Faux machine

So when a large portion of your fan base doesn't want something and you do it anyway that's just business and not ignoring them?

Your initial statement is false as applied to professional sports.

You can try to grease around it by calling it by any name you want or framing it differently. Your wrong. Accept it. A large portion of people didn't want PSL. We got PSL's. "Just big business" or not their opinion was disregard. Example stated. Point proven.

12. Ralebird

I'm beginning to think you have no experience at all with business, big or small, or you're being intentionally obtuse. Of course, if a large portion of your customer base doesn't want something but an even larger portion does want it, you need to make a business decision. Somebody is going to be disappointed. That doesn't mean in the slightest that they are being ignored, it means a decision was made based on its merits. Even if 100% of the customers are unhappy with a decision that doesn't mean it was a bad business decision or that their opinions were ignored.

Have you never seen this quote:
    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”?

That is a fact of life - accept it.

13. Faux machine

You can clutter the statement up with as many quantifiers as you want about good or bad business decisions and customer relations, it's proved my point quite well. Making a decision that a portion of the consumer base doesn't agree with does not doom the business. Your initial statement is wrong.

14. Ralebird

Okay. I give up. You win. You don't understand anything about business, but you win.

15. Faux machine

;)

16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

A good business knows its target demographic and maximizes profits from them. Freemium apps are a textbook example of this.

17. Faux machine

This is true. Anything else?

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Hey I didnt disagree with you.
    But other examples include the gaming industry, beverage companies, and we all know Microsoft does plenty of shit people don't like.

19. Faux machine

I didn't disagree with you either. DEAL WITH IT.

20. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

They spoke for me. I wanted Idzik fired.

How many Jet fans wanted to keep him? 85%? Come on.