~ ~ ~ WOODY might KILL stadium deal ~ ~ ~

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Mar 11, 2006.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I am totally confused about how Woody does business. He blows millions on plans for new stadiums, then blows millions more on ad campaigns, and even millions more with high priced lawyers and lobbyists.

He was going to foot more than half the money on a $2 billion stadium but now can't even split the price on a $1 billion stadium.

I want a roof! Open your wallet! Give us a great stadium. If we can't come back to NY we can at least play in a great stadium else where.

2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Someone explain why it's important to have a stadium that you don't share with anyone else? If you're going to be in the same area, it's absolutely stupid to have two separate venues with 8 events in each each year. How does that make economic sense at all? When land is as expensive and as valuable as it is, why kill two huge areas of land when you can kill just one to make a football stadium?

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Because it isn't only for Football!
    Not really hard to comprehend if you really want to.
    The fact is that most opposed to it will look for any excuse not to support it (Not directed @ U) when in reality and New Stadium w/Dome is a Cash Cow.
    AND....
    If it were on the WS it would have been a Triple cash Cow because of the revenue the JJC would have brought in...
    But oppositions refuse to see that because the narrow minded thoughs of a few who just refuse to comprehend what a stadium in today's world really is.

4. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

The thing to keep in mind is that no one was opposed to the WSS at first.

Then Cablevision realized that it was going to be disastrous to the crappy MSG venue they abuse. Personally, the Javits Center is a nicer facility than MSG for venues other than sports obviously.

A partnership with the WSS and JJCC would have killed MSG's virtual monopoly on events in NYC. I predicted that had the WSS been built, Ringling Bros would have moved. The car show would have been huge. I went to the first annual comic convention a couple of weeks ago, and that was great too.

Cablevision played all sorts of games with the media to beat the WSS. They refused to run ads in favor of the stadium on their system, but ran their anti-stadium ads all the time. They used "neighborhood" groups to fight against in their commercials, and made sure that the disclosure statement was practically invisible at the bottom of the screen. They even came up with a competing plan to build apartments on the land, which I don't believe they ever honestly planned on creating. Then, when the deal fell through for the Jets, amazingly, the land was off the table for ALL parties. Anyone smell the distinct sulfuric stench of kickback here?

Of course this is a lot of conspiracy theory, mixed with actual fact. I think it is probably pretty close to the truth though. It's funny how MSG is flying under the radar with their plans to move their complex now. (Yes, there is a deal in place, though I am not sure if it is actually approved yet, to move MSG.)

Amazing how that worked out, huh?

5. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Excellent post and Very True indeed!!
    FMU, The deal to move to the Post office side of the street has been approved.
    Cablevision and the Dolans are a bunch of crooks who have No Business being in NY.
    Everything they've touched has turned to shit or they try and thwart everyone else's ventures.
    They hold back NYC more than move forward.

6. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

Because having a $2 billion stadium in manhattan would generate a much MUCH higher ROI (return on investment) than a $2 billion stadium probably anywhere else in the world. He would make up the money much more quickly. Since the stadium is in NJ, there will not be even close to the dual-use opportunities that there would have been in manhattan. Queens is the same situation as NJ... there just wouldn't be nearly as much opportunity to use the stadium for other events.