Woody Johnson Involved in Serious Talks to Bring Revis Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Mar 3, 2015.

1. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

$12m+ Revis is the answer to our defensive needs lol. Bring our savior back!

Lynch says hello.

2. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

As much as everyone wants revis... Right here sums up the problem.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

4. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Cant say Id be mad if revis came back, but Id rather go for mawxell and mccourty.

5. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Why not both? Throw in McCourty at safety as well and we will have quickly transitioned into one bad a$$ defensive team. And we'd still have cap room to fill other holes.

6. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

If say the team got Revis (dont believe it at all, fell for it last year he is going to be in New England) and a few depth players to fill out their defense and had a top 5 defense and then spent their draft resources and hit a homerun in the draft they could potentially make the playoffs. Isnt that what it is all about?

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

8. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

Revis coming back would be great but would he want to ?

9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

To me it depends on how much he wants. But I could give a fuck less about Revis to be honest.

jonnyd and FJF like this.
  10. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I see why people on here would not make good GM. There as cheap as Idzik was. People on here believe you can build a great team with a bunch of cheap players. It didn't work out good last season. With the money the Jets have to spend over the next 2 seasons I can't see why this team can't become a playoff team this season and then a contender next season. Hell we could become a contender this season if we sign the right people and Geno or whoever will be the QB has a good season don't need to be a great one.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It's not a direct quote. The direct quote was "serious internal discussions". What you changed it to, "serious talks", indicates some kind of actual negotiation which at this point would either have to include a trade with the Pats or be tampering.

Why would you change the quote? Do you know what direct quote means? derp.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So you're saying that Revis will sign with the Jets for $12M a season? Really?

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Bill Belichdouche likes this.
  14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

This is likely Revis' last big payday; being great doesn't equate to being worth the cost, and he isn't coming at a price worth paying. Either a player is worth their contract or not regardless of how much cap space we have, so having the space now is not the reason to pay him because ultimately it will cost us somewhere else down the line.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  15. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I have no problem bringing him back. The Jets don't have to give up any assets to get him, just money.

What we don't know is what an alternative CB will cost. The NFL has a higher cap this year and many teams have needs at CB needs and tons of cap space. Whose to say Kareem Jackson doesn't command $10M a year? Prices we've been accustomed to for free agents pretty much goes out the window with a rising cap and teams that need to spend money to reach a minimum.

If the Jets can structure a deal so he gets a lot of money up front but low annual cap hits, why wouldn't anyone want him?

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

He's not a Free Agent, and he won't hit the open market. Woody had his chance last year and didn't even return the phone call. Revis isn't coming back even if he does hit the open market

Cman68 and Bill Belichdouche like this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Another thing about the people tossing around the $55 million number: that's not real. We aren't spending all $55 million, or at least I would hope not. You need to save money to resign your own. Richardson is due for a contract after next season, and he is going to get top tier DL money. Spending $14 mil of that on a cornerback who will be 32 when he wants a new contract (and we haven't won a ring) is just flat out not smart. There's no defending it.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Jets are required by league rule to up the spending by $55 million this year. How they do that is up to them, but the number is very real.

19. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

It would be poor team management to not inquire about Revis. He's the best CB on the market, and CB is the Jets biggest need right now.

I wouldn't cater to his every contractual need, but if we have to give him a million more than someone else to lock him up for a few years, I would heavily consider it. I wouldn't sign him to the contract he just signed with New England.

20. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Bring back the GOAT.