Woody Johnson Involved in Serious Talks to Bring Revis Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Mar 3, 2015.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I think this is great for the jets. We traded revis and got Sheldon plus milliner who is still worth watching and will now get him back potentially. The jets would have been worse today without ridding themselves if revis.

If revis comes back it's really a total coup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

If we're talking from purely a defensive player standpoint Revis (preinjury) > Sanders.
    There, I said it. :eek:

3. TonyIommi

TonyIommi Active Member

IMO nobody will get the chance to drive the price up on New England. Revis is not a free agent. If the Patriots don't get Revis to sign a restructured deal before his 2015 option (20 million with a cap hit of 25 million) kicks in, then he will not be back in NE. Once he hits free agency, he is gone because he would have already seen NE's best offer and decided not to sign it. NE will not chase him.

4. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

With all the cap space we have, knowing Revis greedy ass he'll at least see what we have to offer before signing back to NE to get abused by Marshall.

edit: sorry i had to add that Marshall part in just because haha!

5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'd rather see 'em bring back Cro.

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

lol, NE is chasing him right now..

i'd agree tho, if he hits the market, they've likely already lost him.

they are going to do everything they can to re-up his deal by March 10th. they'll have 5M in dead money by letting him walk, so there's a little extra incentive to get something done in these next few days.
    not that they needed the extra incentive.. i think they've seen what he brings to the table.

7. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I believe we can start talking to agents tomorrow at noon. We won't be able to talk to Revis until the 10th when he is released. That gives us a couple days to try and lock up either Maxwell, Jackson, Cro, Culliver. .. if they seem like they are committed elsewhere then we make a strong push for Revis on the 10th.

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

revis doesnt score tds and score on punt returns like deion did. but deion never saw a rb he was willing to tackle. revis on the other hand CAN and is one of the best tacklers out there for a cb. as a total cb i see him as a better cb than deion.

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

how many times can i "like" something?

alleycat9 likes this.
  10. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

You think with all that sweeping Woody did at his father's KY plant. He would learn to clean up after himself and his press leaks. But my guess is he did a lot of bong hits at UA. Revis back with the Jets is pretty much a foregone conclusion now.

11. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

The total coup would have been the Jets bringing him back one season after trading him and drafting Richardson with the pick, signing him to a contract for less money than he wanted when he was traded.

It's not a total coup to get him after he just helped a bitter rival win a Super Bowl.

12. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Who cares I'm done being pats obsessed. Bottom line is we got an all pro dlineman and a cb with potential And can still get revis back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

Signing McCourty for $8-9M/yr would give the Jets a solid safety tandem for the next 3-4 years since Pryor would be allowed to play a style more suited to his talents. Signing Revis for $14-15M/yr would lock down one cornerback spot for a team that currently has two guys on rookie contracts coming off knee injuries as their best hope for a starter on the other side. Meanwhile, you can still spend more like $12M/yr at corner and get Kareem Jackson, Antonio Cromartie, and draft a guy.

The conundrum at the cornerback position for the Jets, in my opinion, is more about quantity. The top two corners on the roster right now are Milliner and McDougle, who are both huge unknowns. There's considerable upside with both guys, but there's no way you can count on either being a quality player at the position for 12 games, much less a whole season. After that, you have Walls and Marcus Williams, who are more suited as role players. The Jets need to find two guys that can start at the very least. Sinking $15M into one player isn't something you should do if you are still going to have work to do to feel good with the players you have in his position group.

With my suggestion, you would start Jackson and Milliner to start the season. Cromartie could play a relief role for both guys and step in if Milliner got injured. McDougle could get eased into nickel and dime packages, then you would have 2 out of the draftee, Walls, and Williams rounding out the roster. It's not ideal, but it's a step up from last year's disaster.

That would put the Jets spending about $28M on their secondary with their safeties locked down for the long haul, allowing them to evaluate a bunch of younger guys at corner they can identify and hopefully build through in the future. From a team building perspective, I think that is a better position to be in than signing Revis and hoping he is happy with his contract every year while giving yourself less of a chance of quality depth.

NCJetsfan and NOVAJET like this.
  14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I disagree. The fact that he won a SB with NE means I can never look at him the same, personally. It's like a cheating spouse who blatantly flaunts that cheating, then wants to get back together, but only if you agree to be subservient to them and reward them for cheating.

15. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Kareem Jackson is off the market. One less FA corner.

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Ruck Fevis!

Just give Cro $7 mil and be done with it.

17. RichardCaster

RichardCaster Active Member

Incarcerated Bob reporting Revis/NE deal imminent

18. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

Yawn

19. RichardCaster

RichardCaster Active Member

maybe he is right this time

20. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

Maybe. Or maybe he is wrong for the 1,000th time. Either way I refuse to care about what he says.