Woody Johnson Involved in Serious Talks to Bring Revis Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I would make an effort to sign B. Maxwell and K. Jackson as our CBs, instead of Revis.

And that would allow the defense to do the same thing you described, also I'm sure it won't cost 16 million a year for B maxwell, I could be wrong about his asking price, but I'm sure the jets can play around with the contract to make it appealing to maxwell. Also don't forget the age, I think Maxwell is 26 or 27 and K. Jackson is 26.

Just a thought

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

3. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Well Ive already said I dont want him back at any price. But if you want me to put a number on it then he isnt worth anything over 12 million per year.

And that isnt going to get him so for the Jets to consider paying him 14, 15 , 16 or more million to come back here is absurd. Foolish that Woody would even entertain the thought.

He's probably just trying to save face after the whole "tampering" thing though. The guy just cant come out and say something a fan wants to hear.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Who do you think is going to pay him more than 12M a year? If there was somebody they would have done it last year and now he's a year older.

JetsVilma28 and Ralebird like this.
  5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

this was exactly the thinking as to why we let him go to begin with. To me, it's a matter of what will Revis cost comparatively to Maxwell. If it's a matter of 2 - 3 million I see no reason not to go the revis route.

All in I wouldn't mind a Revis, Cro, McCourty windfall.

The would give us.

Revis, Cro, Milliner, McDougle, Walls
    McCourty, Pryor

That would go from a horrible secondary to a very very good one with a very stout defensive line. Our defense would be in excellent shape and we'd have enough for the offensive side (OL, WR, possibly RB), plus a potential Foles acquisition plus picks in a draft day trade.

6. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

I don't think Revis is going to get 16 million per year, but I think he will get around 12. Revis is still one of, if not the best CB in football. Not only would he give Bowles more flexibility in what type of defensive plays can be called, but he would also be a great mentor to both Milliner and McDougle.

7. TurkJetFan

yes and my big question is what will revis get in comparison to Maxwell? for another 3 mill guaranteed I would go the Revis route no question.

Revis isn't "young" per say, but CB is one of those positions where guys can play a long time. He's not even close to done. At least the guys who rely on technique and not physicality aka Champ Bailey/Woodson types. These guys just keep on going. Revis is well worth the investment. His game is technical, him aging will not be a big issue.

Truth4U2 likes this.
  8. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Plus, I think Revis could shift to free safety like Rod Woodson did once he isn't able to play CB.

9. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

The Pats gave him 12 million last offseason so what are you talking about?

Who is going to pay him more than 12 mil a year this time around? Umm how about every single team that potentially offers him a contract. He's been on a show me style contract for the last 2 seasons. He's pretty much bet on himself by having no guaranteed money in both contracts he's signed after his injury in 2012 and has proven he's back to 100 percent health. If he becomes available (unlikely that the Pats let him go) there are teams out there that would pay him 15+mil a season.

Pats will end up paying him around 12-14 and he will likely stay there.

You make it sound like teams are gonna offer him like 8 mil a year. Revis would laugh at that offer.

10. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

What if they sign somewhere else? Eagles will go after Maxwell hard and Jackson will be highly coveted.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This whole thing is just very frustrating as a fan. Woody hired Idzik based on the fact that he would get rid of Revis without question. If you look back at articles on the hire, Woody's biggest point of interest for the position was how they would handle the pending situation with Mr. Revis.

It's sad that he essentially has Woody by the balls. While it's all business he goes to win a Super Bowl with our most hated rival and then we're going to bring him back? At some point pride has to kick in a little.

Lets get two good players for Revis' price tag rather than strap out cap and re-invest 16-17 million in the two players (Cro & Darrelle) that put is in cap hell. It's like a never ending cycle. On top of the fact spending all the time in the world convincing him to come back when we could be fixing the rest of the team. Not to mention he's going to want a boatload of guaranteed money.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Revis isn't that fast. He gets by on savvy, instincts, technique, and hard work in the film room. Young players coming into the league are faster, quicker, and all the technique and study in the world isn't going to enable him to keep up with them. He's going to get slower and more injury prone.

hwismer likes this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree with you, and that's why I think the jets need to make a serious effort.

I understand with the jets coming off a 4-12 season it may not be attractive for some FA to sign with them, and Bigmac spoke about the balance needed when trying to sign FA, they want to be active, but you don't want to pay Porsche prices for a Kia.

I honestly think the jets won't come away with an elite CB in FA, as I feel they are going to be either used as negotiating leverage or they will be asked to pay too high a price.

14. TurkJetFan

Nonsense .... Technique and what you named at revis strengths are what make incredible corners....he's never been that fast and he's stopped many a fast receivers...stop acting like people are that much faster over the last 2 years or next 2 years..

And injury prone how??? Stop making stuff up just to attempt to make a point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not making anything up. I don't need to do that, and I don't. As players get older, they slow down and become more injury prone. That's a fact! If you've been watching the NFL for anytime at all, you'd know that is a fact. If Revis misses a jam at the line on a fast WR, he's gone and all the technique in the world isn't going to allow Revis to catch him.

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

fair enough. you'd prefer getting 2 CB's instead of 1 Revis.
    that's a reasonable approach. at least we agree on the need.

Maxwell is interesting, and would be my top choice if we don't land Revis.
    i like his height, long arms, range, and his experience while still being young.
    i fully expect Philly to make a big push to sign him, and he's the top FA CB right now unless Revis hits the market.
    i would guess he lands around 9M+ per on a long term deal.
    it would be an overspend, but in the mold of a Decker overspend. a guy who has shined with a great supporting cast, who will get paid like a top guy due to thin competition in FA. But despite the overspend, i think you can rely on him contributing and being a good teammate, also like Decker.
    high floor, low ceiling. i'd be onboard.

Jackson i'm not as interested in.
    i think he's a mediocre CB.
    slightly overspending for a solid player is one thing. overspending for a mediocre one is another.
    i'd pass on Jackson.

If not Revis, i'd pair Maxwell with Cro and a value add at FS.
    my preference would be Revis plus that value add at FS tho, which will cost about the same, while netting us an elite impact player.

#236 BacktoQueens, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Red Menace likes this.
  17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

he ran a 4.38....

18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I think the owner is clueless and trying to save face with fans and the shark-like New York press. It's his money but again he's interfering. If it's worth the 20 mil Mevis will hold him up for it's his money. I think NEP will love it if the Jets greatly overpay for him. If the Jets can get him for 12-15 ok. But there's no love lost between the Revis group and Woody Johnson. No hometown deals for the Jets.

Walt White and rohirrim665 like this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Some folks here keep reminding us that Revis is still one of the best if not the best CB out there and worth every penny. In their view the Jets would be idiots not to grab him. Yet, when the discussion drifts to other teams in desperate need for a great corner, like the Eagles for example, and our chances of getting a Maxwell or Jackson, the consensus is that we would not have a chance because they will be so coveted by better teams. If that is the case, and Revis is so freaking valuable, why wouldn't the other teams with NE included jump thru their collective asses to grab Revis over us?

May be they see the same thing some of us see. Not worth the value he demands.

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

If, if, there's any truth to this it makes you insane. It's understood that this is right down Mehta's alley of soap opera bullshit so I don't necessarily believe it.
    But IF The Woodster is doing this I wanna go over there and ring his neck. Let the guys you hired do their fuckin job, and create their fuckin culture. He'd be undermining them with his special brand of fucktard brainstorming. Woody has no business making player personnel decisions, ever.
    I hate Mehta. And hope some day Darrelle returns . But not now. I have a hard time believing that this would be a Mac/Bowles priority at this time.