Woody Johnson Confirms Rex Will be Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 29, 2013.

1. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Coughlin and Tomlin have also missed the playoffs for a few years now. Rex also has the better regular season record since 2009 over Coughlin.

2. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

Rex had two playoff appearances by the end of his third year so you should probably stick to ignoring Rex's first two years when comparing him and Marrone. And of course they'll fire Marrone after 3 years, he probably went 19-29.

3. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

What if Marone made it to the AFCCG this year and next year with EJ Manuel playing like Mark Sanchez's first two years?

4. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Im not comparing them. The poster said Marrone wouldnt be fired after going 8-8, 6-10, and 8-8. I said he would.

5. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

While there are times Im not crazy about him..he went to 2 afc championships you love to omit and 2 out of the 3 horrible seasons you talk about were still 500...and get this..without a qb...without any type of NFL qb.

Show me a coach...ANY COACH in the history of the NFL who went to two afc championship games...and the other 2 years was 500 and one year not without an average qb.

One qb led the league in turnovers two years in a row...and one qb was second in the NFL in turnovers.

You name that coach that has had a winning record in a 5 year span and then you might be on to something.

But you will not name him....never will.

6. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

And Rex isn't getting fired because he has two playoff appearances and 20 wins backing up that mediocre stretch. And, forget about fired, two .500 seasons out of three might get a Bills coach a monument in Orchard Park at this point.

7. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Would you take Rex over Marrone, or any other coach the Bills have had since Marv Levy?

8. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

and some posters mentioned this during the year and I didnt want to hear it but who would bills guy or anyone else want to take as coach of this team next year...who? What are the chances this guy would be any better.

I have no problem admitting I was wrong..and those that love rex shouldnt gloat too much because the jury is still out...but it just makes sense to give rex at least another year after the progress defense made...and some of the younger kids more importantly made.

9. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

I just watched the video and the players reaction to the announcement is huge. They love Rex and it shows big time. Also love the fact that they did not have an over the top season which, to me kept them level headed and in check.

This team should have a bright future. I am so stoked to be a Jets fan right now. Things are looking up.

10. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I mean everyone knows if you have two years left on a contract you're a lame duck anyway...the only difference is if a coach has one year left on a contract and does well all of a sudden you get a situation where the coach might play hardball at the end of the season since he's a FA and will get wined and dined.

Could you imagine Rex coaching with no extension at all, going 12-4 and then playing up his leverage as a free agent to get every dime out of the Jets (or another team)? That would happen to us with all our past coaching dramas.

#190 NYJFan10, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  11. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I never thought of it like that. But isn't the risk of adding the year is eating that year if he does bad? It's a gamble either way in my mind.

12. NYJFan10

Thanks for the comic relief...enjoy the 'anonymous stories' that will all of a sudden pop up when things start going to s*it over there the way they did last year with him and his basketball buddy Mehta.

13. NYJFan10

It's mutually beneficial. Adding the extra year gives the coach more financial security if he gets fired, and gives the team security if they need to negotiate a new extension after a good year.