Wonderlic results

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Popeye's Army, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

North Carolina WR Hakeem Nicks scored only an 11 on the Wonderlic exam.
    Nicks is a definite ballplayer, but he might not be that smart. Other notably poor scores were by Percy Harvin (12), Western Michigan FS Louis Delmas (12), Darrius Heyward-Bey (14), and Rey Maualuga (15).

Michael Oher helped himself with a 19. Georgia QB Matthew Stafford scored a 38. Maryland CB Kevin Barnes was most impressive with a 41.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Most of this has already been posted...and give rotoworld some credit.

3. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

Matt Stafford is a smart as hell QB thats for sure. I don't put any value in the wonderlic test, and i don't know if GM's and HC's do either, but an 11? Jeez. I hope that all these things like his bad pro day and his crappy wonderlic drops his stick so he falls to us in the 2nd. hah that would be amazing. Jarron Gilbert at number 17, and Nicks in the second round would be IDEAL.

4. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

God Forbid anything gets posted here that informs people or provokes interesting discussion. Maybe all of us don't have all fucking day to sit around and search the web as you obviously do.

And yes, it's from Rotoworld. Who gives a shit ?

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Chill out Dude Von Dudestein...god forbid that it was already posted and people were already talking about it.

When you post news, you need to provide a link or at least the site you got it from.

Otherwise, you're just using their information as your own.

6. quadcityjetsfan76

I know I've read about this test in the past, but can someone give me a run down on the scoring of this test. There seem to be som big gaps in these scores.

7. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

Happy to hear that the Top-3 QB's did well.

I wonder what Britt got.

8. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

That is ridiculous. How else would he have gotten that information? I dont need a link to everything people post and neither should you.

Give me a break. Go piss up another tree.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

When its obvious your posting info from another site you should post a link or at least list the source. Thats standard operating procedure to verify that its not fake news.

11. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Not even being a smart ass here but what does the wonderlic have to do with your on the field play??? I mean yes it does help with plays and coverages etc... but just cuz your a brainyack doesnt mean your gonna be a good nfl football player... I think if you got what it takes then you got what it takes to play the game... Some people just have that naturally ability to be a good athlete and some people are just straight up and down not test takers and crap out when it comes to taking em...

Dont get me wrong there are complete retards out there but in the same token i would like for them to do a wonderlic test vs allstar careers in the Nfl and see how that pans out that would be good.. We should do research on that...

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Its used much like a IQ test to judge raw intelligence. O-line and QB's usually have amongst the highest scores on it. In the NFL you need to be smart. On offense you need to be able to red and recognise a defense or blitz before the snap of the ball. Offenses have but a few split seconds to read the D at the line and know if they are staying with a set play, calling an audible, or jsut switching to a hot route.

Defensive players need to be able to do the same thing in reverse. Telling what the offense is trying before they try it.

Raw intelligence will make you a quicker study in the film room and on the feild. Smarts will not over come a lack of skill, but of two equally skilled players, the smarter one will be more likely to succed.

Take a look at Vince Young. He played in an offense were he was more or less the Guy at Tennesse. He was able to dominate NCAA defenses with raw athletic ability. No need to learn to read the scheme of the D or Fix his throwing motion or footwork.

Then came his poor wonderlic. 6 or 16 depending on what report you belive. He still has not learned how to read defenses. At the NFL level he is not able to outrun or run over defenders. His akward motion makes his passes fly lower and more likely to get tipped. He is looking like a huge bust as a starting QB. The Wonderlic score alone would not be a problem, but is one of many little things that should have been a sign to be wary of Young.

Starting QB scores average around a 25. O-line a 26. Young was far below that. A sign that he is not all that bright.

13. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

It would be great if we could get a comparision chart to see how players faired from the early 90's to current Day to see how there careers were... I dont think those numbers tell about a player being bust or boom.. its like a crap shoot when you pick a player in the draft and most first rounders if you look back are bust and i bet they had high wonderlics....

14. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

15. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Actually, IQ scores are statistically related to reaction time. Tests show that people with higher IQs perform better in tests where you have a series of buttons and you have to keep pushing the one which is lit, which keeps changing. So its been shown that IQ relates to speed of decision making even in simple tasks.

16. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Never heard of Kevin Barnes before, I quickly googled him up, maybe he should be a 2-3 round pick for the Jets. Lots of the players I like are more 2nd round players than 1st, I hope the Jets trade back from 17 and pick up an extra second.

---

03/18/09 - The Dolphins focused on several players at Pro Days last week, sending coaches to evaluate Oklahoma offensive linemen Phil Loadholt and Duke Robinson, Utah cornerback Sean Smith and Georgia Tech defensive end Michael Johnson. Miami likes several Maryland players, and even beyond last week's Pro Day, arranged private on-campus sessions soon with receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, cornerback Kevin Barnes and tight end Dan Gronkowski. - The Miami Herald
    03/15/09 - Some scouts might have questions about Barnes' shoulder, but nobody could question his athletic ability after seeing him at the combine. Barnes ranked among the top five cornerbacks tested in the 40-yard dash (4.5 seconds), the vertical jump (38.5 inches), the broad jump (10 feet, 8 inches) and a couple of other agility/speed drills devised by NFL scouts. "I was happy, but never satisfied," Barnes said. "Knowing myself, I could have done better." The combine also afforded Barnes the chance to let NFL personnel people evaluate his personality, intelligence and character. From Barnes' perspective, that part went well also. Among other things, scouts asked him to diagram and explain Maryland's defense and how he fit into it. He did so without any hesitation. "I feel like I did pretty good showing them what kind of person I am," he said. "They like my size (6-foot-1, 187 pounds), my play-making ability (four interceptions as a junior) and my intelligence." In all, Barnes thought he held his own against the other prospects at his position while at the combine. Cornerbacks are a valuable commodity in the pass-happy NFL these days, which should help his draft stock. The selections take place over two days, with the first two rounds on Saturday and the last five on Sunday. Barnes thinks he tested well enough that he won't have to wait long to hear his name called. "I expect to be taken the first day," he said. - John McNamara, Annapolis Capital
    03/11/09 - Maryland Pro day: DB Kevin Barnes (6-0 3/8, 184) ran a 4.45 and 4.49 in the 40, had a 41-inch vertical jump and kept his combine numbers for everything else. ?