With the 18th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Axel3419, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State University

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The Giants got into a contract dispute with Tarkenton. He was benched for this reason for the final game in 1971. He was then traded to the Vikings.

3. JetFanProud

JetFanProud Banned

I think the key to where Manziel.gets drafted comes in Feb when his first ever REAL size gets recorded. It will be very interesting to see whether his current numbers as shown in the Aggie program guide (6'1", 210) are accurate or as often happens, vastly overstated.

#243 JetFanProud, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That doesn't explain why the Vikings traded him to the Giants in the 1st place.

Franchise QB's, Hall of Fame QB's, don't get traded in their prime once - let alone twice.

The only conclusion that I can draw from the fact that both the Vikings and the Giants let Tarkenton go in his prime is that neither team viewed him as a franchise, Hall of Fame type QB when they had him.

Those guys just don't get traded.

5. Br4d

The numbers have been all over the place. He was 6'1" 210 for most of last fall. Then about a month ago there was an epidemic of 5'11" 200 going around. Now he's listed at 6'0" 210 at cbssports.com.

The movement in his numbers is kind of a classic misdirection, the question is who is doing the obfuscating?

6. JetFanProud

JetFanProud Banned

The numbers come from his college PR dept then and now from his agent. Real numbers make their first appearance at the combine

7. Br4d

There was a change a month ago when he didn't yet have an agent to make the representation and Texas A&M's website still had him listed at 6'1". Just not sure how he got from 6'1" two months ago to 5'11" last month.

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I just told you why the Giants traded him. There is nothing to speculate about that.

The Vikings got rid of him after the '66 season because Tarkenton asked to be traded.

I made a playing style comparison between Tarkenton and Manziel. The fact that Tarkenton was traded twice does not mean Manziel will not be good.

#248 Cakes, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Too funny.

The agenda never dies.

Obfuscation now?

Lol.

_

10. JetFanProud

JetFanProud Banned

I don't think there is any real issue regarding him more than with a any other potential high draft pick entering the draft.

It's an established fact that college program heights and weights are more favorable than reality. Manziels 6'1" 210 is just as fanciful as Bridgewaters 6"3 192. The whole original reason for the Indy combine was to provide a single location for NFL scouts to convert fairy tale PR stats into reality

11. JetFanProud

JetFanProud Banned

Don't think there is any conspiracy or obfuscation involving any specific draft eligible player. The colleges have misstated heights and weights for decades. The real numbers will emerge in February and, unlike the media, nobody should be shocked about players losing inches and/or lbs from their official program levels

12. Br4d

As many of the QB's and WR's will do.

I think Johnny Manziel is surrounded by a cloud of his own smoke at this point. There's no number that could come out of the combine at 5'11 and 200 lbs or above that would hurt his stock at this point.

If he'd been 6'1" 210 all this time then a lower number might have had a real impact. However the numbers have jumped around on him so much that nobody is going to be surprised if he measures at 5'11". If he actually measures at 6'1" it will be seen as a plus instead of the negative it might have been a few months ago.

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

how long are his arms?

14. Br4d

Mark Sanchez and Sam Bradford, just saying...

Not that I think Gorilla arms are bad on a 6'4" QB though.

15. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think you missed the joke

16. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

If the Jets can't get USC's Lee, I think Benjamin would be an ideal fit.
    The kid has a big body and I think faster than Evans.

I've seen Evans a few times and there is nothing about that says this kid is first round pick.
    He seems slow and has gotten as far as he has because he's bigger than moster of the guys trying to stop him. He'll still be bigger than most cornerbacks in the NFL, but he'll be playing against men who more saavy.

17. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Who is Evans?

Davante Adams? Jordan Matthews?

18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Evans isn't a 1st Rd Pick????, you need to go watch more film on the "Kid" he's one of the best WRs in this draft. You clearly haven't seen his entire body of work.

Your comment about Evans makes absolutely no sense. Evan's productivity this past year was incredible, go look up his numbers. Evans isn't slow, I don't know where people get this idea. Evans isn't a track star, but has more than adequate football speed to be a productive NFL WR. Benjamin will be better against those "saavy" NFL CBs???? What kind of comment is that...it makes no sense.

Benjamin is a raw product and has a lot of learning to do running routes and reading defenses. Benjamin isn't a finished product and not as NFL ready as Evans.

I've watched every game Evans has played this year. I study all theses players as much as anyone on this site. It's amazing how people comment about players that they have no knowledge about their abilities.

19. Br4d

The underclassmen make the draft more of a crapshoot while also extending the overall talent available.

The interview process is going to be very important this year because more people than usual are going to flame out for reasons other than talent. Younger guys make more mistakes, that's just a fact of life.

20. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Have to agree here. Benjamin has wonderful physical skills and might be one hell of a reciever some day but Evan is ready right now--he IS a football player. And I'm not so sure his upside still isn't higher than Benjamins.

If both are sitting there you have to take Evans.

_