With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That would be a new TV.

Jets79, Brook!, stinkyB and 2 others like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

NO! Why would SF want to trade him? If it's because of money cap space, the Jets can afford him even less than SF. Even though Aiyuk is good, he's already 26, and I'd want more than just Aiyuk and pick #31 for trading down that far.

#1642 NCJetsfan, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    Jets79 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I would absolutely hate that move by the Jets. Trading up for a WR when Alt was sitting there, and to make matters worse, that WR is Odunze who could wind up being a bust in the NFL. That would be such a typical SOJ move. If JD were to do that I'd have to get someone to take either my Louisville slugger away from me or my car keys, one or the other. I wouldn't take my fury out on my TV, I'd want to take it out on the source of my anger.

#1643 NCJetsfan, Apr 24, 2024
    JetFanInNE and Jets79 like this.
  4. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Rome is a mid-to-late 1st at best. Malik is Tyreek Hill potentially

BrowningNagle likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

As much as I believe the Jets need an OT and a WR, if it comes down to Bowers and Odunze, I think I might have to go with Bowers as well, especially since the Jets were trading up to get Odunze. That just adds insult to injury. I wouldn't like taking Bowers, and I'd believe that he'd basically be a wasted pick until we got rid of Hackett and Saleh, but I think he could have a much better NFL career than Odunze.

Jets79 likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm stunned by all the Odunze hate. I think he could very well be the best WR to come from this draft. He's going to be gone by 10 and if we aren't trading up for him then I sure as hell hope he's not drafted to an AFC team.

7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Why do you think he could be the best WR in the draft?

Ralebird and IDFjet like this.
  8. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

For me that would pretty much be a par with a decision to sign Jimmy G last winter under the assumption you can just copy and paste his same production over to a new team that wasn't SF and didn't have Shanahan as it's HC.

I like Aiyuk , but not as an "elite guy". This would be a bad and overly reach'y bet. Or in MLB terms it's essentially like reading too much into an inflated Colorado Rockies home split stat line when they play in the most hitter friendly park. It's almost never going to be a close 1:1 production transfer.

BacktoQueens and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

There is around 20 or so WR in the draft I could get get varying levels of excited about us drafting. A few of which will still likely project to be there in round 3.

I'm probably going to be a lot less individually excited on any round 3 pick that isn't WR.

10. BroadwayAaron

Because he possesses all the physical traits and attributes that says he can be a stud WR. I understand the competition is a concern but the two things I mentioned don't really have anything to do with that. Having the strength and size to fight in a crowd is an attribute, same with being able to track a ball downfield.

11. REVISion

Physical traits being the primary selling point always scares me. And level of competition definitely impacts how easy it is to get by on physical traits.

I don't dislike Odunze in a vacuum, I just think there's a clear drop off from MHJ and Nabers to him, and I find this "trade up for Odunze" thing to be completely insane.

I'm not even sure I agree on the physical traits thing with Odunze btw. He's never looked especially quick or fast to me on tape. He doesn't get in and out of cuts quickly. He doesn't look especially shifty or elusive with the ball in his hands. I think he trained hard to optimize his testing numbers but I don't see it on tape.

It kind of reminds me of when everyone was trying to convince me Treylon Burks was some monster athlete and he just looked like he was running in mud on tape.

Contrast that with Bowers. When you watch him, a few things are immediately obvious. He's fast as hell for his size. He runs insanely hard and is extremely difficult to bring down. He has great vision. He runs forward, not side to side. He seeks out contact and fights for every yard.

#1651 REVISion, Apr 24, 2024
    stinkyB, teamgreen, NCJetsfan and 4 others like this.
  12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Aiyuk is one of the best WRs in the league vs man coverage. Something we struggled with greatly last year. We had no one who could win vs 0 or 1 coverage outside of GW.

The fit is very good for us but the money and financials are a huge problem.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

I'd agree with the first line if he had glaring issues like route running or drops. He doesn't. He doesn't have blazing speed so he's not going to get a ton of separation but look at Davante Adams, Deandre Hopkins, etc.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  14. dawinner127

Giving up a 4 and 6 to go up 2 spots to get an elite wr isn’t insane.

Giving up a 2025 2 to get to 5 or 6 to take Odunze over Nabers is insane

Jets79 and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  15. REVISion

Here's what it comes down to for me:

I'll be shocked if neither Odunze nor Bowers is available at 10. I have Bowers as clearly a better prospect than Odunze. It doesn't make sense to trade up for the worse prospect of the two.

NCJetsfan, Jets79 and LAJet like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I was thinking about Odunze last night. In 2022 the Jets got Garrett Wilson at no. 10. Its 2 years later, we have number 10 again and Wilson was soooo much better of a prospect than Odunze.

And yet people want to trade up for him?

17. dawinner127

Fair. Totally get it. I think Bowers has a chance to be a better player at his position at the next level than Rome, but I think the value of having a guy who can win outside is greater than adding someone like Brock. I think they’re very close and Rome being a WR is why I personally would prefer him and a trade up. I’m happy either way though. I’m team pass catcher over OL

All Gas No Shake and REVISion like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

You're comparing a class that had Drake London as the only other top WR to this class that has three potentially elite WRs going in the first 10 picks.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

4 WRs in the top 12 that year. London, Wilson, Olave and Jameson Williams

20. BroadwayAaron

Right I'm saying three guys who project to be elite can be gone in the top 10 this year. I don't think anyone outside of London and Wilson projected to be elite. Jameson Williams wasn't even going to play right off the bat.