With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Talk is cheap imo if you don't say it with any real commitment. Time and what stances people are taking on this stuff 6 months from now will tell the real story here.

Out of general curiosity the other day I went back to read through this board's Laken Tomlinson signing thread to check how many of the same people cheering on that signing on at the time matched up with the ones I've seen frequently being pretty vocal in their complaints of it's stupidity since i started posting here.

Was an interesting read to say the least ;)

2. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

We’ve reached the point in draft season where nobody is changing their mind. If you’re trying to persuade someone, you’re wasting your time.

NOVAJET likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I thought it was a good signing at the time. We ran basically the same offense as SF, Tomlinson had been a solid player, and was coming off of his best season. Even after he was so bad his first season, I thought that was an aberration and that he'd return to form his 2nd year here, but I was wrong. In retrospect, it was a bad signing, but hindsight is always 20-20.

I get your point however, There are a group of posters here who are very hypocritical and who never admit when they are wrong.

4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I hope I'm on record saying James Daniels would be better FA pickup (G and C). Didn't think LT would be this bad tho.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That’s cool. You sure do spike the football on opinions a lot that no one can validate since you weren’t here.

BTW - did you find my post on Laken Tomlinson’s signing or what?

6. Kronoking

My spikes here on things that haven't come to pass should be enough for this board. I mean there is absolutely no back door wiggle room purposely left any of my continually stressed beliefs on what I'm expecting out of a 41yo Rodgers, and/or the concerning lower ceiling having Hackett as OC puts on this offense. I own my stuff when I'm right and when I'm wrong.

Yeah, I still recalled you Tomlinson take offhand even though I wasn't really looking for your's in particular more then some others. Since if you called rage foul on it after the fact I never noticed or came across it, and you haven't really been combative here or spoke directly against the idea of drafting OL. Now if we draft Bowers to your applause, and you then make it a point latter to show up guns blazing in what could rightfully go down in hindsight as one of the most rage inducing GM bets made in Jets history if/when that "omg it was so obvious they were injury prone" Tyron/Bak plan at LT doesn't actually hold up.......well, like I said time will tell the truth imo of how much weight was actually behind anything that was being argued here.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I hated that move. We are all just dumb fans though if we were smart we wouldn’t be Jets fans and if we were really smart we’d be working for some team.

8. Kronoking

I just watched a round of the Jets youtuber videos I try to support with views but been putting off, and the TE vs OL debate is definitely just as intense there as it's been here.

Bowers Boys is certainly a thing :)

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Couldn’t care less about re validating fans opinions one way or the other down the road to be proven right or wrong. Massive waste of time. They are all fans, entitled to an opinion, no experts, and not one of those opinions will impact the product on the field one iota. I only care that the leadership selects wisely and gives us a product we can finally be proud of and will be rooting my heart out for their success whomever they select wearing a jets uniform. Success is measured at the end of the season by wins and losses and the rest is just narrative.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think we finally found something to agree on.

22 votes for Olu/OL
    15 for Odunze/WR,
    8 for Bowers/TE.

The consensus is overwhelming either for OL or WR. But the discussion is predominantly about Bowers...

Basically very few folks comparatively speaking, at least on this board, want him, but these who do, REALLY want him. Bowers Boys is indeed a thing.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I mean the options are Bowers and literally 8 or more different players. “Olu OR offensive lineman, Odunze OR WR”

Maybe you guys actually go out on a limb and say which OL or which WR for once that you’d prefer

12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

There is an interesting article in today's NY Times Sports about the NFL draft. I would post it but I can't find the digit version on the Times website. In any case you'd probably need a subscription to read it. I will try to sum up as best I can:

The author, a writer who follows the Vikings, says NFL executives know how they should conduct a draft but rarely do. Studies have shown the best strategy is to accumulate picks. Sort of like a dart board, the more picks you have the more likely you'll hit on a prospect. In other words, luck plays a big part in the draft process. Nevertheless, owners and executives overestimate their abilities to find that needle in the haystack that will be a difference maker. In the end, greed, emotions, publicity and job security end up being the prime motivations for many of the picks made, especially in the first round. Trading up for a pick is usually the wrong strategy. In fact, the author says everyone recognizes that aside from publicity, the first pick in the draft is generally considered the worst in terms of talent returned for bucks spent.

I'm not sure I agree with everything the author says but I can now sleep better at night and not worry about who the Jets will pick, because we have no idea what is going on in the minds of the decision makers when the draft unfolds, and while we may fail to see the logic in the pick (see 2017, 2023 draft), or if the logic is sound the prospect is not (see 2021 draft), in the end, it is out of our control.

HomeoftheJets, LAJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Did you actually see the poll at the top of this very thread?

Also, I very clearly mentioned whom I would take before and after Bowers in response to you a few days ago. Here is where I currently am with my order: Harrison Jr, Nabers, Alt, Odunze, Latham, Olu, Bowers. It is very close between Odunze, Latham, and Olu, I would be happy with each of these selections at 10. If we get Bowers I prefer a trade down. But if JD does it at 10, perhaps it would not be the worst thing, but I hope if he is set on a weapon, he trades up a bit for a WR at #8.

After that there is a group of Fuaga, Mims, Thomas Jr, Fautanu. These to me are definitely on a trade down.

14. Kronoking

OL preference is probably going to vary wildly from poster to poster and basically mirror a lot of the mock speculation/evaluations beyond Alt at #1. I think the one thing a lot are mostly in agreement with there though is that of placing a premium value on the idea of not kicking the can down the road to next year and/or walking out of the draft for a second year in a row without 2025's answer at LT.

At this point I think I've talked myself into being higher then some on the concept of Latham being *my* behind a season of Tyron guy I feel most confident will still be there at #10.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There's a deeply comprehensive Draft Guide put out by Dane Brugler on The Athletic covering 1900 prospects and background on all of them. If you have a NY Times digital subscription The Athletic is included in it. For those of you who don't really want the NYT, you can sign up (probably at a deep discount) and then cancel it after you download the Draft Guide.

16. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

With the 10th pick… the Jets will select whoever the hell Aaron Rodgers wants. Seriously, you know his opinion will count heavily, how could it not as he only has one or two years to produce. If he says I don’t feel comfortable with the current make up of the line or he says I really want another weapon you don’t think Joe is going to go in that direction?

BrowningNagle likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We need - and have for years - an answer at LT that will fill that spot for 10+ years. Every GM since Tanny has neglected filling that gaping hole. That needs to end now. That said, if Douglas doesn't believe there is any OT available at #10 that fits that job description, I'm okay with him taking whichever player on offense he thinks will help the most this year. But LT is such a huge need I'd even be okay with him trading up to get Alt.

But whatever he does, it had damn sure better pay off!

18. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

I go on record predicting a trade out of 10 for more picks. They will be able to get offensive help after 10.

19. Kronoking

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but at the same time Rodgers wouldn't be making that call as if he's trying to win a fantasy football league.

I genuinely don't believe we'd have any more of a firm idea of his preference there atm then what Joe D would be picking without that outside input.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

One of the things I enjoy seeing in Bowers' footage is the way he secures the ball after the catch. It's locked into the crook of his arm like a vice the moment he secures the ball, every time, it's such a fast and fluid action. I don't even need to share any examples, just look at any catch he has ever made on film for Georgia.

LAJet likes this.