With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

There's been a lot of great discussions on what to do/who to take with the 10th pick. Obviously, everything depends on who's there when we pick, but, my pea brain is telling me we need to go OL all the way. Just like in baseball, you can never have enough quality starting pitching, which is exactly how I feel about the OL.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Really unlikely that T. Smith misses at least 3-4 games? How is that? He hasn't played a full season since 2015. In two of the last 4 seasons he played less than 5 games. He only played 13 last season. You're living in a fantasy world.

3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

ha ha. Add in the guy accusing people of no life seemingly averages 10 posts a day/every day including Sundays and holidays for 10 years!!!

4. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Trade down trivia. The Bills needed a QB and traded the 10th spot anyway for Chiefs to pick Mahomes! (that was the year Mac thought Trubitsky was the only QB worth shootng for)

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Take a look at this article from JetsXFactor and film analysis: https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/04/01/ny-jets-draft-film-jc-latham-alabama/

They have JC Latham as right there with Alt in the same tier as top two OTs in the draft. They have been saying this for a while now, and I must admit the film is convincing.

More reputable folks are joining this take where Latham is right there with Alt:
    https://www.the33rdteam.com/nfl-draft/2024/big-board/
    https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/news/...osition-rankings-the-top-qbs-wrs-rbs-and-more

May not be the worst thing to end up with him when it's all said and done.

6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

You certainly aren't going to get an argument from me. I'm on board with o-line at 10. Period...

BrooklynJetsFan and tomdeb like this.
  7. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

No.

Especially if that trade up isn't us, and comes in the form of the never being talked about possibility some OT hungry team with the same upper options concerns we have decides to dejavu jump themselves into those #8/9 pick slots that don't appear to be married into anything.

8. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

As implied in my post above, if Alt miraculously makes it past #7 you can bet dollars to donuts somebody is coming up from the teens to get him between the time our hearts start pumping with excitement and our turn to pick at #10.

So it is written.

Jets79 and KWJetsFan like this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

For what is worth, mostly speculation, but a few reputable draft analysts that I like to follow, have pencil marked at least two LT going before pick 10, and more specifically, have Alt and then Latham. I also read that JD camp is also quite high on going LT if either Latham or Fashanu are there.

#1069 LAJet, Apr 5, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
  10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't think it's unlikely he misses 3-4 games, I just don't think it's worth using a #10 overall pick on a guy who is likely to play less than half the games in a win now season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO, we have a couple of very weak areas and in desperate need of help, OL and WR. People have presented the pros and cons of both sides. Some feel LT is most critical because of the injury risk being high with our starter, and that is a very valid concern. Other believe rather strongly that God forbid if we loose GW we are screwed. And the fact that he has been extremely healthy does not preclude a freak injury. I feel equally strong about getting another stud WR and there are some great ones along the lines of GW. But in the end, the board is going to dictate what JD will do with the first round pick. I’m convinced that if the top three LT are gone he will move on a different direction. I’m also of the opinion that Becton might be retained if we don’t draft an OL with the first pick. We might see a different OL with AR under center and new blocking scheme.

chandler and westiedog1 like this.
  12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The problem is that we are looking at our "weak" areas through the lens of recent history. If Rodgers is the Rodgers we expect him to be, then areas such as OL and WR should take care of themselves. For example, who ever heard of Puka Nacua, Amon-Ra St. Brown or Nico Collins coming out of college. All three were taken no earlier than Round 3 but are now atop the NFL leader board in receiving yardage. That's because they have QBs who can get them the ball. Now we have a QB that can get the ball to our receivers, so it shouldn't be a major problem even if we don't draft a WR in round 1. With Rodgers, we may already have a top receiver in Brownlee or Gipson.

mezzavo, chandler and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hmm….heres a sobering thought:

if I am not mistaken, M Becton was the last OL Douglas drafted for us lmao

Even with that bad luck I think the Board of quality ( better than MB ) candidates will just fold to him and he won’t be able to screw up on purpose

Plus Draft aside, Vegas has us 19-1 to make a SB appearance..now that’s progress!

14. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

AVT, Mitchell, and Warren were all drafted after Becton. Maybe I read your post wrong?

chandler, abyzmul and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

There is certainly some of that for sure, but the upper portion of the draft board is rich in the positions we could certainly improve with youth moving forward, so I see a win win if we can add a difference maker on offense with the first pick. After that I’m sure JD will look at upgrading both sides of the ball with young BPA talent. Not the least of which for us is to find the QB of the future.

#1075 LAJet, Apr 6, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    BrooklynJetsFan and westiedog1 like this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You seem to be under the impression that Joe Douglas stopped trying with the OL after Becton. He never stopped trying and it's been mostly misses.

Red Menace likes this.
  17. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Oh, I totally agree. However, I don't see the urgency of drafting one position over another among the top talent available.

LAJet likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can understand that, but remember that those 3-4 games could make the difference between having a winning record and not or making the playoffs and not making the playoffs. Also, how would you think/feel, if Smith wound up only playing 3-4 games and then next offseason the Jets struggle to find even a decent backup LT much less a good starting LT, which would sink next season, and knowing that both would have been totally avoidable if JD had just taking a quality OT in round 1 this year?

tomdeb and Borat like this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It depends when these games are. If Smith can't come out for the play-offs - we will be thanking god we have drafted an OL. That's the thing with these old / injury prone players, you just never know when the disaster strikes. You almost have to have an insurance. Look, all of this could have been avoided last year if JD didn't fuck up the pick swap and drafted Broderick Jones. But he did and now there isn't a single decent tackle on the roster that is young or non injury prone.

Now I could see the point where maybe we figure out OT in another way aside from spending #10. Maybe trade back or trade up from 3d or some other creative move. But then if not OT, #10 has to be WR, where we are also shaky with Mike Williams coming off serious injury and not being ready for camp. But it has to be one of these two positions: OT or WR. And if it is WR, we need to something very creative to get a young OT plus a veteran OT.

20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member