With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I just don’t get how any one could be so vehemently against adding an offensive weapon or a tackle provided they are worthy of taking. All three, tightend, tackle and receiver are viable options at the spot.

Tightend normally isn’t but Bowers is pretty unique that he’s worth a look.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I understand it's not like picking an item off the shelf at the grocery store. There are no guarantees. But that applies to ALL players at ALL positions. When I say to keep it simple, I mean let's not over think this. And while I'm not going to repeat this caveat on every post on the subject, I've said it a number of times: "Douglas has access to far more info than me or anyone else here, and in the end I have to trust his decision". That said, even with all this other data at his command he's made what seem to be some obvious mistakes, That's why i hope he doesn't get "too smart" for his own good, as I suspect he did with Becton (and possibly Zach, although I was in the draft Zach camp as you know).

#1042 ColoradoContrails, Apr 4, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

for real - the offense sucks and thereby could use any talent at all 3 of those positions

A trade down or even a QB could be justifiable. The only real terrible move is going defense at no 10

mattyd99, chandler, REVISion and 5 others like this.
  4. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

It seems that that "All Gas No Shake" guy has a life instead of scouring this forum and expounding on how great Zach Wilson is.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My feelings exactly. Depending on how the board goes, a LT, Top WR or TE could come into play, as well as a potential small trade down and still capture one of the three positions above. I specifically address LT as opposed to Ol if we stay at ten but if we trade down any OL position will come to play.

KY Jets Fan and BrowningNagle like this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

We have to keep our conveyer belt of first round pass rushers moving, bro. Don't you see all them comp picks rolling in????

KY Jets Fan and BrowningNagle like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m completely on board with that notion and have been with day one. We have an outside chance to even trade down a couple of spots and still capture one of the above.

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Charlie Campbell from WalterFootball.com is reporting that the Jets would prefer to add a playmaker at 10 (specifically mentions Odunze and Bowers) as opposed to an OT.

A
    lso mentions they’re “very open to trading down, if they get a quality offer for the 10th pick”.

Didn't think this was noteworthy enough to start an entirely separate thread about it so just put it in here.

If this is true, I think it makes sense. We’re a GW or MW injury/re-injury away from being in a really rough spot at WR.

Also remember it’s smokescreen SZN so this could be total BS.

Sundayjack and All Gas No Shake like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

Thanks for sharing but does Charlie even know anything?

He’s not a journalist or an NFL insider, Walterfootball is just a fan site that someone like you or I could run

I think it’s just speculation on their part and they know a take like that will generate some interest in their site

10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

These are all good points. I do agree that WR>TE.

Re: OT, I still just prefer the upside of a hypothetical scenario where our OTs don't miss significant time. Despite how fresh the wound of last year's OL injuries is in our heads, that sort of thing is still really unlikely.

11. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Im all for a trade down EXCEPT if Alt somehow slips to #10. Then I fully expect them to run to the podium. Other than that scenario trade down - not too far - maybe they only get a third round pick in return but that’s ok - take an OT preferably. If not then a WR.

BrowningNagle, ouchy and tomdeb like this.
  12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Who knows what Douglas will do? Not sure anyone on the planet predicted Douglas taking McDonald last year. Two months of supposed preparation for the draft, and he foolishly takes a guy at the only position wherein we didn't need help.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Get an OT, WR , IOL and BPA.... no D. If Joe Alt falls to us we must take him at 10 and if not try to trade down to recoup 2nd or high 3rd.... if possible. If not and rome is there take him...

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

On the “value” discussion (
    Agree on Alt, but in reality I don’t think there is ANY way he falls to us at 10…he will be taken by one of Chargers, Titans, or even Giants or maybe Cardinals too…he’s not lasting to 10.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I agree 90% with you--problem was he put himself in a terrible position by flipping 1st rd picks--once he f'd up with that, then picking McD may have been based upon his research--there really wasn't anyone else except Jaxon who could have been taken there IMO.

16. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

You’re most likely correct but remember somebody very surprising always slips - in this case even a guy like Alt could fall if WRs take precedence and a team decides last minute another OT such as the Penn St tackle -as an example- is better. We may not agree with that assessment but something crazy like that happens every year ….

Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The positional value is where I think you are not giving full consideration. From the positional team need perspective, we already have Conk who is top 12 in yards last two years at the position with bad QB play and terrible OL. Then we have a back-up in his 3d year who was a 3d string all this time with potential. And both are solid blockers too. With a good QB play both of these guys have massive upsides. Conk should be expected to be top 10 at the very least. And I am not prepared to piss away 3d round pick spend on Ruckert either and want to see him get a chance. I think he is ready to step up. That's two good guys right there on the roster.

Now let's look at the value of a TE position in general around the League. If you look at expected transition tag for 2025 which is average of top 10 TEs, it is 11.88. OL is 22.35. WR is 22.15. OL and WR are valued even at top end almost double of TE. And no Bowers is not a WR. He is not as fast as top WRs, he just isn't. He is not even good at contested catches, which is bread and butter of tall WRs, like Odunze. He is a TE, not WR. Which is why he played TE, and not WR, in College. Otherwise he would be an absolute moron, a dumb imbecile to play a position which is worth literally half in NFL if he could play a position just as well that is worth double.

And I think he is a really good TE prospect, don't take me wrong. But there are really good WR and OL prospects too, who provide significantly higher (almost double) positional value, who will be there at 10. Getting a talented TE is good starting mid or even late first round, when top players from more premium positions are off the board. Not at 10 in general, and not for us with our good TE room in particular.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That is very reasonable, and I get that position as well. Heck, if somehow Nabers is there, perhaps even I would be running to the podium to grab him over OL. But where I am lost is specifically TE/Bowers fascination - particularly in our situation. Between Nabers, Odunze, Thomas, Alt, Latham, Olu, someone has to be there at 10. Straight up or even trade back and get one of them. There is just no need to consider Bowers, no matter whether you prefer a weapon or trenches.

Keep in mind, AVT has been seriously hurt last two years. Smith has been seriously hurt almost always. Moses is coming off major injury. The OL looks good on paper, but it can fall like a house of cards in a hurry. I don't think it is as unlikely as you say given we have 3 guys coming off recent major injuries.

I actually like Latham more and more as I watch his games. He played Guard too in College and LT in HS. He is very versatile and has the size to play both tackle spots long term, unlike some others. If AVT goes down, he can come in there. If Smith goes down, he can help there as well. And then be long term starting LT for us. And he is still very young just turned 21, but with decent big game experience, so can contribute right away.

I definitely see many good options in this draft, but none of them include Bowers.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  19. BrowningNagle

Alt is a must pick I agree. I don’t think he will be there at 10 though :(

mrjet80 and Jets79 like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

agreed but I think running a fan site and saying “New York Jets sources are telling me…” is misleading and wrong