With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson certainly lacked intelligence. I think he was the dumbest QB weve had here and I remember Geno Smith getting all confused by time changes

(notice the past tense when describing Wilson. I am hopeful that embarrassment is behind us)

barfolomew likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, I admit my original high marks for him out of college were overly ambitious, but I still think - as you posted here - that he could've been a pretty good starting QB on the right team, with proper coaching and scheme fit.

But given all the other problems and failures with other players and position groups, it amazes me how people can so quickly blame his struggles entirely on him "because he doesn't have football intelligence". SMH. Honestly, which is more likely: that he struggled because he didn't have "football intelligence" - even though he succeeded all the way through college - or that a team that has historically failed at developing young QBs (and other positions), and hasn't been to the playoffs in 15 years was unable to figure out how to unlock his potential and develop him?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The day the music died....

[​IMG]

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's not Zach's fault! Mike LaFleur didn't teach him how to pocket presence!

IIMeanDeanII, REVISion and stinkyB like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

Wilson didn't succeed all through college. He was benched at BYU for a time.

I dont think he's a MENSA candidate by any means, he could improve his "football intelligence" as you describe though. Much like Geno Smith has improved his football intelligence and he was equally dumb as Wilson.

I dont think Wilson wants to put in the work to do so though like Geno Smith has. the NFL is not for everyone.

SOJAZ, barfolomew and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He also played in an extremely easy system in college. A lot of pre-defined bombs down the field after his runningback ran all over teams for 6 yards per carry.

His lack of football intelligence is demonstrated by his unwillingness to throw to a spot on the field if he doesn’t clearly see the receiver with a clear throwing lane.

SOJAZ, Pepsiguy5, barfolomew and 3 others like this.
  7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I have a feeling LaFleur will end up being the smartest one from the Jets. The likely scenario is that he identified early that Zach couldn't play QB in the NFL and refused to waste much time training him. Again, consider my football opinions for what they are worth: nothing.

#507 dmw, Feb 14, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He definitely has a chance to be the smartest coach from the Jets, if for no other reason than his brother is such a good coach, but if so, it won't be because he identified early that Zach couldn't play QB in the NFL. He didn't tailor the scheme to fit Zach, he had Zach trying to exploit NFL defenses early in games in his rookie season, he didn't do anything to help Zach get into a rhythm early in games like the best OCs do with rookie/young QBs, and he wasn't either a good coach or good OC while here. Coaching in LA under McVay certainly won't hurt his chances, but I don't think he has half the smarts as his brother in Green Bay.

#508 NCJetsfan, Feb 14, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    Lon Chaney and dmw like this.
  9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

look…Zach didn’t get ANY favors from the Jets…coaching was questionable, OL was pretty crappy most of his time here, whatever.

I think he owns his performance though. And I think most of why he sucks is more on him than on blaming the coaches.

There are just too many times when he didn’t have the pocket presence to stay in there and read the field…he just took off like he probably did at college where his opponents weren’t all as athletic as him, he missed WAY too many open guys because he just simply didn’t look their way…that points to knowledge of the playbook and knowing or anticipating where receivers would be, he didn’t step up to the line and read the defense and know exactly where the open guy would tend to be like the really great QBs do, his completion rate was consistently bottom of the league, as was his rating, every year, and shit, when you put in the likes of Josh Johnson and Mike White and they both look better than him in the same offense, then I don’t know what other conclusion to come to other than he’s just not very good. Watching our offense struggle time after time to just complete a pass or make a first down is brutal, while other QBs make it seem like someone is ALWAYS open.

Sure, if he had a better OL with all day to throw, he’d have looked much better. If he had a different OC than Hackett…oh wait, he DID have a different OC…if he had an offensive minded HC who knew how to develop a QB, shoulda woulda coulda.

Yes, better coaching would have allowed him to develop maybe at his own pace, and would have tailored a different system to emphasize his strengths and try to hide his weaknesses, but coaching could only do so much. In this day and age, sub-60% completion rate and more picks than TDs, and the constant struggle to move the chains just won’t cut it.

He’s not very good…it is what it is…despite his strong arm and good athleticism, it takes much more than that to be a successful NFL QB…it takes an intangible field sense…both in the pocket presence as well as anticipating open receivers and throwing them open, it takes the ability to read the defense and call line protections, it takes the ability to recognize when a play will work and when you should audible out of it, it takes touch and accuracy to put the ball in stride instead of too far ahead or above or behind a receiver like he so often did…it’s more than just an arm, and he hasn’t shown that he has a strong aptitude for any of it.

So yes, better coaching would likely have helped, but it wouldn’t have made him a good QB….

SOJAZ and REVISion like this.
  10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I still bet they go with a DE or a CB - they just can't seem to help themselves.

abyzmul likes this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I've been half expecting CB for some reason. Like Terrion Arnold to bookend with Sauce (and also be used incorrectly). But you know there is always the chance for SAUCE AND KOOL-AID!!

BrowningNagle, stinkyB and JetsUK like this.
  12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I can just see them now - "we don't have an effective offense so we thought if we get two top CBs then our opponents won't have one either!"

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Then get 2 O-linemen named MEAT and BEER and we got a helluva bbq every sunday

barfolomew, BrowningNagle and abyzmul like this.
  14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think his ceiling is average backup QB so he might have a decent NFL career. On the other hand, maybe he should just take the money and run.

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Three years, plus whatever was seen of him in the NCAA is "so quickly" to make a decision on Wilson? Perhaps those who made a different decision in 2019 and still can't let it go are the ones who acted "so quickly" and are the ones who warrant amazement and head shaking from those who got it right.

SOJAZ, barfolomew and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson sucks.

Can we move on yet?

SOJAZ and barfolomew like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

if we get Sauce and Kool-Aid then we just need to find some guy named Chicken Nuggets so the defensive backfield can reflect my daughter's daily diet

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I feel it’s a draft deep at OL and DBs. The WR position I think is a bit of fools gold there. After Coleman there’s a pretty big cliff.

19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I like that the teams picking at 11, 12 and 13 (Vikings, Broncos and Raiders) all could potentially be in the market for a QB. If a lot of smoke about any or all having that interest develops, the Jets pick could be a nice trade up spot. Wouldn't be a haul, but say the Raiders want to move from 13 to 10. That should fetch at least a 3rd round pick and they still might be able to get Fuaga or Fashanu.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I wouldn't accept anything less than a 2nd.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.