With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

The glaring problem with that is the conflicting forces of having put themselves in a position to go all in in order to make the Aaron Rodgers experiment work, and not having a second round pick. Picking a quarterback at 10 means they don't get any help for the Messiah until the third round unless they start trading assets. And then they don't have any assets to help build around that quarterback later.

This franchise is such a bass ackwards disaster.

mezzavo, teamgreen and REVISion like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they wont take a QB at 10. Rodgers would not endorse it

Savatage likes this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Might be wrong, but I heard Mims concern is history of injury issues. Something people here will absolutely love to pounce JD on. Might be wrong but bears attention for any of them under consideration

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My choice is trade down and recoup a mid second pick. From everything I read the top two tackles and top two WRs will be gone before the tenth pick, so if we are unable to trade down, the choices might be a bit of a reach for Fuaga, currently projected mid first round, something I can’t see JD readily do, or for a WR like Odunze, and let’s not loose tract of Bowers, considered even better than Pitts because of his blocking ability along with ball catching skills. He is projected top ten.

MDJets likes this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Man I really have a hard time getting my head around a TE at 10…unless he’s like Travis Kelce or maybe George Kittle, who are legit targets, a TE doesn’t help as much in taking pressure off of GW as a really good WR2 would do. And not for nothing, but neither Kelce or Kittle were top ten picks. On top of that, I have little confidence in our coaching staff being able to realize and utilize a strong TE…shit, our genius OC apparently didn’t realize how good Breece is as a receiver until like week 17.

So yah, I’d say OT, WR in that order, and if none of the top guys are there at 10, I’d prefer a trade down … though if none are there, who would any other team want to trade up for? Maybe a QB drops or something…

6. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I agree with LAJet to trade down. Not so sure though we need Bowers at 10 if they can’t trade down for some reason. Several solid TEs should be available in round 2 and 3.

At this stage we just don’t know if the top WRs and OLs will be gone before 10. Obviously if they are available at 10 grab them. But if not trade down and build depth as LAJet said with OL and WRa.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

FWIW, I don't either.

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I will find a way to sink this ship myself If JD drafts a TE at #10. My heart would not be able to handle It. I swear to GAWD.

9. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

bonkers

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Pitts kind of sucks at the pro level. Except when he plays the Jets I guess.

11. The_Darksider

Bowers would be a luxury pick - we don't need a tight end nor can we afford luxury. We drafted Ruckert a couple of years ago, he's improved, Conklin is actually pretty good and with Rodgers throwing to him, he will probably be an upper-half-of-the-tight-end-spectrum option. Rodgers has made some midding tight ends look great, so with no second round pick I wouldn't even be thinking about Bowers. If someone wants him that bad, that's a perfect trade opportunity at 10.

12. BrowningNagle

it would be such a Jets move to think they don’t need a stud like Bowers cause they have Tyler Conklin.

That trade you describe would hurt so bad when Bowers is an all pro for years

KingRoach likes this.
  13. The_Darksider

You're right, we could use 6 TEs on the roster while we don't have a second receiver or any young cheap OL.

Centiment and Borat like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think Ruckert has proved he’s really nothing more than a TE2 at best. He’s went from unplayable to TE2 material so I don’t think that should stop the Jets from taking the best TE prospect since Kellen Winslow JR.

I think it’s harder to understand what Bowers did for that offense and his overall skill level when you just wants highlight tapes. In the flow of the game, some of the game breaking plays he made were mind blowing because it was like someone put the ball in the hand of a rhinoceros when you just watch two quarters of sloths.

Sadly, I don’t think he’s the guy for the Jets to take this year. We have no imagination and never in a million years would give the guy a jet sweep or run him on a WR screen with a safety covering him. On top of all the offensive line problems and the XFL receivers we’re trotting out behind Garret Wilson, we’re backed into a corner with who we select.

#194 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2024
    mattyd99, mezzavo, dmw and 3 others like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

bowers would be the second WR. I don’t care what he’s listed at in the program

KingRoach and REVISion like this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think I would trade all 5 of our TEs for Bowers. Ruckert will turn into a nice blocking TE that can catch, Bowers will rip souls out of chests on third down.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's not that Ruckert should stop us from drafting Bowers, it's the opportunity cost of absolutely necessary OT (or a top WR). I would love an upgrade at TE with a serious weapon like Bowers, if we were solid at OL. If while assessing the team the conclusion is that we just need another weapon and we are there, Bowers could be considered. But when we don't even have a glue to keep the offense together, we don't have a line, we are just not in position to get him. And that's on JD, but I am afraid that's the current state of affairs.

Also, even aside from Ruckert, who is solid, Conklin is top 10 in catches and yards in NFL with shit OL and QB play. While the OL is the worst in NFL and WR room has one good player. We are simply not in position to draft Bower at the current team composition.

ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We need an offensive weapon that can be on the field on every play as a serious receiving threat and take the focus off of Wilson. Aside from Conklin and Rucker as maybe a TE 2 the rest are expendable. So let not sell him short, he can catch and open up holes for the running game. He is a hell of a blocker, something we sorely miss with this bunch. Still believe if he is there at ten we trade down for a nice extra 2nd pick.

19. The_Darksider

I am not saying Conklin is the sole reason not to get another tight end. What I AM saying is that Conklin is good enough. With Aaron Rodgers' hiistory with tight ends, give me Conklin and a great receiver or lineman, and I think that's better than Bowers and whatever we're gonna end up with the third round. Unless of course you guys are now convinced that Joe Douglas can find talent beyond the first and second round.

I also consider this comparable to drafting a pass rusher or corner at 10 just because he's great when we don't necessarily have a need.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

you gotta think longer term. Rodgers should not be a factor in deciding who to draft. Maybe he’s here for 1 season, maybe he will last 4 plays again.

I’d want Bowers to help Rodgers’ replacement more than anything but in the short term they would play well together too

Ralebird likes this.