With all these picks, who gets cut?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Z-Dog, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Z-Dog

Z-Dog New Member

We've got something like 8 picks in the first four rounds alone, and may have as many as 12-13 drafted rookies before it's all over. Assuming that 10 guys will make the team (the rest go Practice Squad or cut outright), who on the roster right now is on the bubble (aside from the real deep guys like RB Terry Butler or TE Corey Lamkin)?

2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

is Ridgeway still on the roster? maybe him if we get another WR.

Kenyatta Wright may be another one.

perhaps Dearth if Mangini thinks someone else can be the long-snapper.

James Reed? Goodwin? Trevor Johnson? I'm not even sure if all these guys are still on the roster because I haven't been following that area as closely. but they could be on the bubble.

cheers

3. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

I like James Reed. He's a good fill in player to give the DL guys breaks if they need it.

4. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Dreessen could be the long snapper instead of Dearth.

5. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

who was that lb that got injured in the beginning of the season he is very fast and was a special teams stud

6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

You're thinking of Darrell McGlover, #57.

Also, I think the Jets have seven picks in the first four rounds. I'm a little dissapointed they were only awarded one comp pick......

7. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

hey, it's the highest comp pick given out...so am not upset or disappointed at all. I would hate to see reed go as well but looks like he may be the odd man out since he isn't the biggest guy now. Not that he was before we signed these other 2 tackles.

8. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

hard to tell

9. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

i vote to cut blaylock and bollinger

10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I have heard before that it costs more to release Blaylock then to keep him on the team...

Why not just keep him along with Cedric and Martin for one more year before addressing the RB position?

11. jets4life2880

jets4life2880 New Member

i vote cut jolley! hes no good and bakers soo much better, i would like to seee blaylock go as well..

12. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

Blayock got injured he is a very good back he also is costin us less than a mil this year so its not worth to cut him. Bollinger is prob the best 3rd string qb in the league and is comn at a cheap price as well unless we draft a qb in the first day which is slim to none i dont see him being cut

13. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

You want to cut Jolley so we have another hole to fill? Brilliant!

14. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Bollinger now has very valuable game experience; more than you'll find from most 3rd string QBs in the league, besides some really old Vet.

cheers

15. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

I think that people are too quick to dismiss Dearth, the guy has been perfect and that is what you ask of you LS. I know that Dressen can also play some TE, but he would be second string maybe even 3rd string, not really a position of importance. I would much rather hae dressen cut cause dearth has been reliable his whole career, I cant remember one snap where he cost us yards/points. What else can you ask for with a LS?

how can you cut a guy who has been perfect for your team, for years, because you have a guy who might be able to fill the shoes?

As for the cuts I see Wright being out of here, I think that Mcclover will get his papers, T Johnson, I hope Goodwin, perhaps Rashad Washington.

Depending on what happens in the draft Blaylock might be out of here too.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think this is what SHOULD happen. I like Dearth as a dependable long-snapper, but we could do a lot with an extra roster spot if Dreessen is capable of learning on the job for a year. This is the time to replace the players that are difficult to replace. Plus, it would be nice if Graham could have a new young LS to work with during his learning stages (and yes, amazingly, Ben Graham is still learning his job).

At the same time, I won't be crushed if the CS doesn't think JD's ready yet and want to keep Dearth on for another year.

17. Jollygreenjet

Jollygreenjet Moderator

Why not cut Dearth instead? Like someone else said, Dressen can handle the long snap duties. Why keep a guy who's JUST a long snapper?

18. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

Only problem I have with this is that learning on the Job is fine for any other position. With LS it is not. Dearth has been to the playoffs and has snapped in very high pressure situations for us and he has ALWAYS been reliable, I dont want Dressen as our LS KEEP DEARTH!!!!

19. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Ask the Giant fans about that one.

IF Dreessen can LS, then, yes, Dearth could be on the chopping block. Graham has shown he's got good hands, and although Dearth may well be the best LS in the league, he could be gone.

Having said all of that, it's reading tea leaves at this point to guess at who might get cut. Even after the draft, it would remain so. The mostly new CS has to look at all these players, many of whom they've never gotten a good look at.

On the other hand, anyone who says we should cut Blaylock is on my ignore list. A more ignorant Jets fan is hard to even imagine.

20. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

Well I cant say that you have hurt my feelings because being on somones forum ignore list is not something that will make me lose sleep.

But look at the situation as I proposed it. If we draft an RB with one of our first three or four picks he is guarenteed to make the squad, I think we can agree on that. Martin is not getting cut, and I think the general consensus with Houston is that he can be a player. With 11 picks in the draft I dont see the Jets carrying four RB's and I dont really see them taking Blaylock coming off of an injury over Houston at this point.

#20 Big Derty, Mar 27, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2006