Wisenhunt said what!?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by cgrec, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am by no means someone who expects great things from Fitzpatrick. But imo Houston had a pretty rough schedule last year after having a bad year in 13. They went one and three against the NFC East, having the bad luck to play the Giants in the Meadowlands, and even though playing in Irving lost to the boys only in OT on a FG. They also lost to Pitt in Pitt, and lost both division games against Indy. The other NFC East loss was to Philly, hardly a weak sister in the league.

As indicated by the Pitt loss their other rotating division opponents were Cincy, Cleveland and Baltinore. Not too shabbily they went 2-1 against them, meaning an even 2-2 against that division. Not many would have done better. Sure they had 4 wins against Jville and Tenn, but overall they had a ratehr tough schedule last year.

2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Well not me. I don't think Smith is "the guy" just not sure Mariota is either. I don't assume he'll be a bust either and due to the value of the position and our need if we picked him at 6th overall I wouldn't be particularly heart broken, I just don't like the idea of it also costing us something pretty significant (say our 2nd rounder and our first next year) for something that isn't a sure thing.

That being said we have to address the QB situation somehow and I don't know how exactly we plan to do that.

3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The big surprise was Jake Locker retiring. Not sure he was in their plans, anyways. And I thought they liked Mettenberger. So not sure what to believe. But the biggest surprise would be he's telling the truth.

4. lockgang

lockgang Member

5. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Well. Mariota ends up at Washington. Guess things could be worse. He could have played at USC or UW.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think Mac entered the off season prepared to do whatever was reasonable to upgrade the Qb situation, and that included recognizing that with Vick leaving, at a minimum he needed to be replaced. So they got Fitzpatrick, who apparently was the only feasible option. Everything else, every other reasonable scenario, has broken away from the Jets. No need here to go down the sorry list. I have doubted Mariota would fall to the Jets at 6 for a long time now. There's still the possibility they could trade up to Tennessee's spot, but I would guess that is unlikely, and the Tits may want him themselves.

Unless some mega option in fact becomes realistic like Brees or Rivers, the only reasonable scenario left out there is Glennon becomes available if and when Tampa picks up Winston, as I do think will happen. But Tampa may keep Glennon, and he's not likely the savior, anyway.

It's pretty discouraging. Smith sucks and the last thing I want to do is have him suck the team down the toilet with him despite all the upgrades when this coming season rolls around. Maybe the weather will be nice on Sunday afternoons this fall.

deerow84 likes this.
  7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The thing is: is Geno capable of playing conservatively and reducing the turnover ratio. I think that's what Bowles wants out of him based on what he's been saying. When they opened up things for Mark Sanchez in basically year 3 he imploded. When he was used in a ground and pound he could run it at at least an ok level. I'd go in that direction with Geno. Because Fitz is a turnover machine too.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Geno has played his best when NOT playing conservatively. He gets too uptight and/or nervous when playing that way. He's better when things are wide open. Geno isn't the right type QB to be a game manager. I don't think he'll EVER be able to be successful playing in that way. Fitz has more experience than Geno and I think can be a better "game manager" type than Geno. Fitz's previous teams never had the talent that the Jets will have. He probably pressed in those situations thinking that he had to carry the team. Hopefully, here he'll realize that the Jets will have a great D and with the weapons he'll have on offense, he won't have to press to make things happen, and can relax and let the game come to him.

9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Well he didn't play conservatively in that first Buffalo game and that's the game that Geno haters point to first. I think that many young Qbs have games or parts of games like that. I think he is capable of following a game plan but disagree on his ability to run a pass first open offense. I think it has to be dumbed down for him to be successful. As for Fitz he will probably end up being the starter. You would think based on his background with Gailey and his stats from last season after being re-inserted after Mallett went down.