Wimbledon 2013

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by displacedfan, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Now Tsonga retires! Down 2 sets to 1

2. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Sharapova down a set and a break to Larcher de Brito

3. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Sharapova just lost in straight to Larcher de Brito, who's ranked outside the top 100.

The #2 and #3 women's seeds are now out

4. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Federer beaten by Stakhovsky.

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

The Mrs. texted me earlier to say that de Brito's shrieking was as bad as Sharapova. Chair ump's ears must've been ringing after that catfight.

Rafa, Jo-Wilfred and now Fed? Unbelieveable.

At this rate, Jan Kodes* should've entered this year. ; )

* (Kodes won the big 'W' in '73 - year of a players boycott over suspension of Nicky Pilic)

6. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

yeah I watched the sharapova match and de brito matched her shriek for shriek

must be exhausting to play tennis and shriek/grunt for hours

7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Lot of players slipping and complaining about the grass, Sharapova said cut grass was still on top of mowed grass

8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

She's a whiner... I'm no Serena fan but watching Serena destroy this bitch always makes me smile. I did notice the slipping thing, something is obviously up but I highly doubt one of the most presitgous tournaments is leaving mowed grass with the trimmings on top of it. For the record Azarenka also went on a tirade about the conditions so maybe there is something to it. Funny this has never been a problem until this year.

I watched Samantha Sloan today who wasn't impressive but she has a qualifier in round 3 so with her bracket opening up quite a bit I wouldn't rule out a trip to the quarters for her. She had way too many unforced errors today but she should have some time to work out the kinks before she plays another top player.

Cannot believe both Rafa and Roger are out by the 3rd day. Could this finally be the year for Murray? Or can Ferrer or even Berdych break through. I think Del Potro is a real darkhorse now as well.

9. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I didn't give Federer or Nadal much of a shot to win this anyway. It was Murray/Djokovic for me, and for a dark horse, Del Potro

10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I never count Roger out especially at Wimbledon but Rafa it would have been amazing for him to make a run to a title but you had to think he was at least going to make a run to the quarters.

11. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I cannot understand complaining about the grass. You do realize that your opponent is playing ON THE SAME GRASS right????

Big time athletes always complain when something doesn't go exactly as they practiced 1,000 times. The grass was wet, get over it and beat these scrubs. If you can't, GTFO

12. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Llodra and Mathieu retired today.

As for Federer, he's still a great player, but I said before this tournament that I think he's won his last major.

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I'm busy for this week and can't watch Wimbledon and everyone starts losing. I'm missing a fun week

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Poor conditions are the great equalizer, and thus reduce the gap that talent provides. Of course it's going to be the best players who are most upset by this. I have no idea if the conditions are bad or not, and if it's the fault of the All-England Club if they are, but if they are and it is, the top players have every right to be pissed about it.

15. statjeff22

No American man gets past the second round at Wimbledon for the first time in more than 100 years. It's pretty obvious that the problems for the US men are a lot bigger than that Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic have been too good for the past few years.

16. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

It's looking good for Andy Murray to make the final. Looking forward to seeing Djokovic-Berdych and Del Porto-Ferrer if they all make the quarters.

17. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Lisicki beats Serena. Four straight years she's beaten the defending Wimbledon champion.

18. statjeff22

Actually it's that this is the fourth straight Wimbledon in which she played where she beat the defending French Open champion (Maria Sharapova in 2012, Li Na in 2011, and Svetlana Kuznetsova in 2009). She missed Wimbledon in 2010 because of an ankle injury.

19. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

whoops. My mistake. She's a great grass player. Had her for a little today.

20. statjeff22

A successful Wimbledon for Polish tennis: Agnieszka Radwanska made the semis for the women, and Jerzy Janowicz beat Lukasz Kubot in the quarters for the men, also reaching the semis.

For American tennis, not so much.