Wilson to spend the bye week in Utah working with John Beck

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If memory serves, Josh Allen had the strongest arm of that entire QB class that year. Folks wanted Sam instead because he was more accurate. Time proved that theory wrong mainly because of Allen's work ethic transforming him into one of the best QB's in the AFC. We can only hope the Jets didn't pick the wrong QB again...

barfolomew likes this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Seriously. Guy makes it sound like they're an every day occurrence.

Cman68 and FJF like this.
  3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Jets aren’t using Zach’s legs like that. I believe he has good athleticism, right up there with Sam…but the Bills use Allen a TON, I believe he’s their leading rusher too…I don’t think the Jets currently want to subject Wilson to unnecessary beatings like he took early in the year. Last few games they’ve gone to at least keep 6 blockers in to help in coverage and the OL as a whole has done better to protect Zach. Maybe soon the Jets can implement some more short passes, passes to the RB out the backfield to move the chains. The lack of a decent TE hurts here besides Kroft. But they have solid options at RB who can catch the ball like Carter and Ty

cval likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I would say it had way more to do with the front office and coaching staff doing everything they possibly could to make sure he developed… from offensive playcalling to coaching to adding weapons everywhere via trade/FA and finding serviceable OL. Meanwhile we routinely do the opposite.

cval and Cman68 like this.
  5. Cman68

That's not how the Jets develop QB's for sure...

6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It was both. The Bills did a great job putting Allen in the best situation possible and Allen himself reworked his throwing motion which led to a dramatic improvement in his accuracy.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wilson has passed up opportunities to run. Thats something they should be telling him after they watched the film this bye week. He is always looking downfield when he scrambles which is good but there are times when he should just tuck it and run

Brook!, REVISion, Mogriffjr and 3 others like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's happened pretty frequently here.

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

am I the only one that saw Josh miss a few throws? I like Josh but if he was on the Jets people like would have been calling for his head after his horrible rookie season. A game like last night you would have been all over him for missing some easy throws.

I get it the grass is always greener. When this team tries to do it right you jump on this bored giving Zach 5 games. If I am not mistaken the Jets beat the Titans and Zach was rookie of the week. You are right he sucks.

10. BrowningNagle

Allen gets the benefit of the doubt for last night, or any night now, since he's proven himself in this league. Its rightfully earned. Everyone here hopes Wilson can get there too.

As for his rookie year? Allen was definitely up & down but he was still 5-6. Wilson is 1-4 and thrown almost as many interceptions in those 5 games that Allen threw in the 11 games. So the comparison just isn't appropriate. If WIlson comes out of the bye on fire, wins 4 of 5 and only throws 2 interceptions total in those 5 games then it would be a good comparison to Allen's rookie year. But that would be a big step :(

legler82, Bellys Lies and REVISion like this.
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Context is everything. Zach threw 4 of those picks in one game. He has been far from a turnover machine in the other games and the Bills where a playoff team the year before. Allen would have been getting killed on these boards, actually Allen was getting killed on this board.

Acad23 likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He was mauled... there was some Bills hate thrown in for good measure... ;)

There were a few here that saw the talent he had.
    Be interesting to dig up some of that banter...

cval likes this.
  13. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

BS. The Jets didn't pick the wrong QB the Jets RUINED said QB. Via their complete INCOMPETENCE they completely ruined Sammy and stunted his growth. That's what BAD teams do to very talented young prospects. The Jets lead the way.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. Cman68

If they don't get this shit fixed soon, we'll be seeing that movie play out again.

Pepsiguy5 and Acad23 like this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Hopefully the revamped staff won't ruin Zach.

They ain't off to a good start...:confused:

Bellys Lies likes this.
  16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The difference is CS and time, Allen didn’t miraculously become a good NFL quarterback. He had a veteran CS that helped him develop, they also brought in some weapons for him.

Buffalo already had a good defense they were missing a couple of components on the offensive side of the ball.

Buffalo also runs the RPO for Allen as well, he’s comfortable with those plays and has the size to run them.

No one should be judging Wilson on 5 games, to me it’s the CS that has to demonstrate they are capable of putting together a game plan that can do two things at once, develop Wilson and have an offense that can score points.

Unfortunately we are stuck with another year of garbage football hoping this CS can develop Wilson, another wasted season!

17. BrowningNagle

The funny thing is though, Daboll was trash before he got there, a retread OC who had been fired 3 times. Oversaw the 32nd ranked offense in Cleveland, etc. Allen has made Daboll successful, not the other way around in my opinion

Acad23, Red Menace and legler82 like this.
  18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think you need to do a little more research on Dabol as an OC with other teams. The rushing game for the Browns 14 years ago that you are referencing was top ten.

His offense in Miami with Bush and Marshal produced 1000 yard receiver and 1000 rusher.

When he was with Chiefs, his RB produced a 1500 yard rushing season.

In my opinion he has grown, obviously the guy has done some learning and adjusting as an OC, and the Bills are reaping the benefits.

Is he going to be Walsh? No, but dismissing any possibilities that he has grown as a coach is not fair either.

#178 Red Menace, Oct 20, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think Allen has done more for Daboll’s rep than the other way around.

#179 legler82, Oct 20, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    REVISion likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

fair enough. I see what you are saying. If a QB can grow and become better over time with experience, so too can a coach.

I wish our Jets had some experience in the room, no doubt. Didnt mean to dismiss that point

Red Menace likes this.