Wilson to spend the bye week in Utah working with John Beck

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Oct 12, 2021.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

He missed them in college too; they just didn’t make his off platform throws highlight reel. I reposted a pre-draft video yesterday of Matt Waldman pointing out how his short game was a concern w/ several examples that looked exactly like what we’ve been seeing.

#101 legler82, Oct 14, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    SOJAZ likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think the problem with Wilson is his playing style is only effective if he's the best player on the field. Mahomes is the same way, but he really is the best player on the field, so it works for him. Whereas other good NFL QBs don't rely so heavily on big plays, so they can be effective even if they aren't a star. Hopefully Wilson can either experience enough of a jump in level to make his style work, or he can diversify into more of a traditional style.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It works for Russell Wilson and Josh Allen but Wilson at least didn't start his career off winging the ball down field every play. He grew into that, and a lot of his bombs aren't off-platform anyways. They're just perfect pocket rainbows.

But you're right and it also only works with great pocket awareness and sitting in the pocket to make the boring on time throws when you have good protection.

It can come for ZW, but he is definitely bailing with good protection because his internal clock is speeding up.

4. legler82

I saw a lot of 50/50 jump balls but then again I have lying eyes.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Wilson? Now a days he's throwing pinpoint bombs. Back in the day you might be right. But most of his deep throws over the past 3-4 years have gone to Lockett, outside of the past year and a half with some to DK. Lockett ain't winning jump balls against many..

NYJFOREVER and legler82 like this.
  6. legler82

I thought we were talking about Zach in college. My bad.

[​IMG]

Jonathan_Vilma and Acad23 like this.
  7. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I've watched his BYU games pretty extensively, especially since he got drafted. He does sometimes miss those bunny throws but NOT to the level we've him miss thus far this season. It's really become an issue since the Jets season started. He also doesn't miss many of those throws in practice and that makes me think it's nerves.

REVISion likes this.
  8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Nerves, but I think It goes further than that even.

I think his mental clock Is being forced to be much faster than It was at BYU. Obviously the game Is faster In the NFL. The level of competition Is much higher, the pace Is much faster, and the level of difficulty going from a BYU cupcake schedule to and NFL schedule Is a significant jump.

He's got to settle down and play basic QB. If he can do that, he will be special, he has shown the big play ability. He has shown a lot of the hardest aspects of being a special QB. He has struggled heavily at being a basically sound, fundamentally sound type of QB.

That concerns me a bit but I think he just needs to figure It out. I can see the potential way more out of him In the NFL than I ever did with his college tape. That's encouraging and I do feel similarly about this kids trajectory as I did with Josh Allen.

Only, I thought Allen would be special before he was drafted. I didn't feel that way about, Wilson.

Fingers crossed.

BrooklynJetsFan and REVISion like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

It doesn't surprise me. When I played competitive tennis, I would miss easy shots when going up against players better than me because the added pressure would mess up my game in general.

NYJ1970 likes this.
  10. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

tyler allgeier was arguably the best player on that offense

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It's clear that Zach is having trouble adjusting to NFL level play. He's whiffing on far too many simple throws.
    Some "experts" point out some mechanical issues... I think it's a mental thing.

This bye week is the perfect opportunity for him to work out his issues... couldn't come at a better time.

p.s. In another thread you asked if I've ever played any sports... I jokingly said billiards.
    When I was a youngster, my Dad started a tennis instruction business... his partner was Arthur Ashe.
    As much time I spent on the court with him... even he couldn't help my backhand much... :confused:

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

Wow that's awesome!!!

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Awesome that I sucked at tennis?

You are a mean person...:(

14. HomeoftheJets

Lol I meant the part about getting to play with Arthur Ashe but I think you already knew this.

Acad23 likes this.
  15. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Yea my thinking is – once he adjusts to the speed he will be fine.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  16. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Definitely agreed on this. How many times have we seen Zach simply execute the game plan as designed and win with it? Hell, never mind winning with it, just executing the game plan?

the answer to that is unfortunately no. Those timing routes, slants, play action roll outs, his timing is off. He throws them late or too early. He also doesn't seem to go through progressions very well?

The last part and it might be the FIRST part is his teammates have left him out to dry. Whether it be the OL or the WR's but one of those groups or both is consistently not doing their jobs. Let's be honest here the only WR's that have consistently done their jobs is Jamison Crowder and Braxton Berrios. Pretty much everyone else has had the dropsies or hasn't been healthy. The honesty about the OL is that there's been times where the entire unit was turnstiles. Since probably week 1 The only consistent lineman I've seen is AVT.

So honestly what's missing from Zach is him executing a game plan and win or loss him sticking with it. That's what needs to happen. A run first attack where the OL and the entire offense pulls their weight, then Zach takes advantage of play action because it's actually been sold well........

17. legler82

You don’t agree with Matt Waldman that “sometimes his front leg locks”?

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i would be more intrigued if he was working with marino or favre.

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

There should have been a viable VET QB on the roster to step in when ZW hits the NFL wall. This was either too much ego on LeFleur's part OR JD just screwed up. Anybody who watches the NFL screamed for the Jets to get a Vet back up but noooooo.... So now ZW has to go find a tutor instead of his QB coach (Cavanaugh??). Terrible way to coach up a kid. Throwing him into the deep end of the pool is one thing. Watching him drown is quite another...

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Certainly seems like the "throw him in there, learning on the fly is the best way to learn!" strategy was a bit of an oversight by the entire organization.

abyzmul, Red Menace and Cman68 like this.